My first online high-res music purchase - rip off.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Over two days since Technics Tracks offered me a replacement album and I said I wanted the other Beethoven 1-9 Symphonies. Looks like it's not going to happen.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Five whole days since Technics Tracks offered me another album. Still not got it. I just don't know if I want to buy any more from them.

I have the first two Norah Jones albums and mean to get the remaining three. They are all available on CD at Amazon at about £5 each. Whereas I the third album is available on Technics Tracks for £13. I want to buy the tird album next. Had I not had trouble with this company probably would buy it HD from them. I want to get an HD aulbum that has good acoustic properties like Norah Jones albums have. Then rip it to 44.1KHz to see if I hear the difference.

(First HD-audio for me, apart from the dreaded Karajan Beethoven I bought.

I could look on other online sellers.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Green Bow said:
I want to get an HD aulbum that has good acoustic properties like Norah Jones albums have. Then rip it to 44.1KHz to see if I hear the difference.

If your interest is to get a HD track with good acoustic properties, and compare it at different resolutions, maybe you could download some tracks from this webpage with free test tracks http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

I realise that they are all classical tracks, but hopefully that will mean that the acoustic properties are good.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Wow thanks expat_mike. I will be trying these high-res files out fairly soon.

Why I mentioned that Norah Jones is good for acoustical listening, is because I hear more difference between my DACs. It's easier to hear the differnt DAC qualities than on some other albums.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Green Bow said:
Wow thanks expat_mike. I will be trying these high-res files out fairly soon.

Why I mentioned that Norah Jones is good for acoustical listening, is because I hear more difference between my DACs. It's easier to hear the differnt DAC qualities than on some other albums.

I recently bought the hybrid SACD of Come Away with Me, and I have found the third track Cold Cold Heart to be very revealing - in particular at the start of the track, the upright bass feels far tauter than on the other tracks - the decay on the notes feels almost instant, compared to the other tracks.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
It's an amazing track that. I think Nightingale is my favourite, but it's really hard to prefer any one track.

I was just rechecking the third Norah Jones album on Technics Tracks, and it's only FLAC 24-bit 44.1kHz. I think for £12 it's steep, when the 16bit 44.1 is only £5 CD. It would have been £18 were it either 24bit 96KHz or 24bit 192KHz. As Come Away with Me is on Technics Tracks.

High res music is steeply priced though. It's such a problem. If it were only twice the CD cost, nearly everyone would buy it. Amazon should do it, then we can all have some.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I had seen the album Come Away with Me recommended on several of the music threads on this forum. The hybrid SACD was only 10.87 euros plus postage, so I thought it was worth a gamble.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts