My ears are going?

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Just to share an expereince, I have been using QED revelation speaker cables for about a year now. In a recent freak accident, one of the cables broke. A freind had a sealed box of Emotiva speaker cables (around $40 for a pair of 3 meter terminated cable) lying around which he never got to use. He was kind enough to let me borrow them. Guess what, I can't notice any loss in quality, for almost a fifth of the price I had paid for the QED cables.

Guess this stops me from going through reviews to find repalcement (although, where is the fun in that, right?). I know this a very old and highly controversial topic in the world of HiFi, wondering whether I would have heard the difference if I was "downgrading" my self from something like Nordost.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Seems like you and our resident TrevC, 'purveyor of truth and fighter of foo' will be best buddies :)

I am starting to feel all warm and cuddly

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
:)

In fairness to FahadAhmed, he may or may not know what I was talking about (a cheap dig at TrevC, I am sure he'll forgive me, TrevC that is) :)

Back to the subject, there will never be a unified opinion on this but if you don't hear a difference you've possibly saved yourself money, simples.

My recommendation, as always, for a reasonably price cable, especially in the context of a system such as the OP's, is Van den Hul's CS122 Hybrid. It does most things well in different systems imho.

If you don't hear differences, don't bother.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I have not heard enough to form an opinion on whether the connectors make a difference or not. I mean there are cables that cost over 0.1m. God knows who buys them, I certainly don't know anybody who would. Maybe you hear more details, maybe you don't. Maybe those cables bring out more "details" to music that even the producers and artists didn't know existed.

But its true what drummerman said, if you can't hear the difference, you save money. That money can be used to buy more vinyls. *music2*

I already went 5 records short when I bought the previous cable.

TrevC

FahadAhmed said:
I have not heard enough to form an opinion on whether the connectors make a difference or not. I mean there are cables that cost over 0.1m. God knows who buys them, I certainly don't know anybody who would. Maybe you hear more details, maybe you don't. Maybe those cables bring out more "details" to music that even the producers and artists didn't know existed.

But its true what drummerman said, if you can't hear the difference, you save money. That money can be used to buy more vinyls. *music2*

I already went 5 records short when I bought the previous cable.

Drummerman implies differences do exist but us lesser mortals can't hear them, but the fact is there are no differences to be heard once a cable of adequate thickness (low enough resistance) is used.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
TrevC said:
Drummerman implies differences do exist but us lesser mortals can't hear them, but the fact is there are no differences to be heard once a cable of adequate thickness (low enough resistance) is used.

Ahh. The "emperor's new clothes" argument.

You have to have really, really expensive equipment to be able to resolve the difference between these two speaker cables. Lesser mortals will think they sound the same.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
FahadAhmed said:
Maybe those cables bring out more "details" to music that even the producers and artists didn't know existed.

the way certain people talk about it, I honestly think they would believe that. Especially judging by the absolutely clueless comments I read on hifi forums on how things are recorded, what they think they are listening to and how nobody can do things right, whilst showing absolutely no grasp whatsoever about the recording process. I once had an argument with a work colleage as he insisted there was 2 guitars on a particular track I asked him to listen to on his "audiophile" set up. Problem was there wasn't two guitars, I should know becuase I recorded the bloody thing, but he was so convinced he wouldn't beleive me, even when I showed him it in cubase. When people have that mindset, there is absolutely nothing you can say or do.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I still find it hard to believe that poeple would spend over 100 thousand for speaker cables. I mean doesn't really matter how rich you are, that's a lot. Almost all of us can afford it but are we going to spend $100 for a can of coke?

Or maybe audioquest just puts it over Amazon for bragging rights, they don't have the cables in stock and nobody has ever bought them. The guys who had left comments over there surely haven't.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts