My day of speaker hunting

Jonesiani

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi all.

Spent today auditioning speakers in a few shops in Nottingham. I had my budget in mind, and wanted to stick to it.
I used my Marantz pm6004/cd6004.
The demo CDs I used were:

The Cure - Disentegration
Limp Bizkit - Significant Other
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

First up was B&W CM1

Lovely, room filling sound, that to me was very smooth, but lacked high end sparkle. I felt that the bass lost its detail at points too.

Next up was Monitor Audio BX5

Wow, amazing detail, bass was punchy and clear, trebles just how I liked it, has a sparkle. They actually made the cm1s sound very sorry for themselves (in my opinion of course)

Next was b&w 684

Holy midrange batman! Nice and detailed, but the bass got muddy and actually overpowered one of the demo tracks to the point where I wasn't enjoying it at all.

Then we tried the Monitor audio bx2

Very nice sounding, not as detailed as I thought they'd be however. Bass was nice and controlled, but they just didn't have that 'thing' that their bigger brothers has.

We finished with the Kef Q300

I was expecting a harsh high end, but never got it. Infant they had a lot more bass than I expected.
They were a very deep speaker however, and I thought they'd look out of place in a smaller living room.

So I ended up with the MA BX5s in the end. Very very happy with my purchase

matthewpiano

Good choice. The current BX range is very talented and they work well with Marantz.

B&Ws do have a habit of adding bass and I found the same as you when I heard the CM1s. I actually feel the 685s are a much better speaker, although I've never been fond of the Marantz/B&W combination. B&Ws always work better with Rotel or NAD in my experience.

Jonesiani

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Well my new speakers have been delivered.

Just putting the bases on now.

They look fantastic, and I know that, after finding their sweet spot in the living room, they'll sound fantastic too!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts