My car audio is better than my home audio

boodysaspie

Jun 6, 2021
Visit site
I've just bought a Ford with their B&O Play system and I'm looking to upgrade my home system to something of a similar quality, not necessarily B&O.

Any thoughts?

Kenneth Fernandes

Mar 2, 2024
Visit site
If you own a battery-electric vehicle, then you could directly power the Amplifier in your living room by connecting it to your car. That way you could use your car's reserve battery to power your Stereo set-up rather than plugging it back into the grid. However, there aren't many All-in-one Streaming Stereo Amplifiers yet that can power directly through a DC supply or have an in-built battery over an AC supply.

Gray

If you own a battery-electric vehicle, then you could directly power the Amplifier in your living room by connecting it to your car. That way you could use your car's reserve battery to power your Stereo set-up rather than plugging it back into the grid. However, there aren't many All-in-one Streaming Stereo Amplifiers yet that can power directly through a DC supply or have an in-built battery over an AC supply.
Your ideas are special Kenneth 😉
Nobody could accuse you of not being different to the crowd.

This is not what the OP is asking - and sound quality is unlikely to be affected audibly by power source.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
:ROFLMAO: LOL!
EVs are not exclusive of the National GRID, to charge them, you need to plug it into the network. It still requires fossil fuel dependency from the National GRID. EVs source energy from that grid that uses fossil fuels which again contributes to greenhouse emissions.

Electric cars may not produce tailpipe emissions but they still contribute to emissions. EVs emit harmful gases when they are manufactured. They also use unsustainable materials and methods of extraction to access these materials. Another source of emissions is the batteries – Electric cars are fitted with lithium-ion batteries that use a lot of energy and raw materials.

Finally, there’s no fully sustainable way of recycling these batteries yet, although, there are ways to re-purpose these batteries for other uses once they become inefficient for electric cars. I think this is what you were alluding to, perhaps someone can come up with ways to customise batteries for HiFi?

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
I've just bought a Ford with their B&O Play system and I'm looking to upgrade my home system to something of a similar quality, not necessarily B&O.

Any thoughts?

I think it will be the same for me when I get my replacement car. I'm currently looking at a Mazda CX30 it has a Bose system with a subwoofer where a spare wheel would normally sit. Why you need that in a car I don't know. My current 13 year old Mazda 3 has a standard in car system and it's good enough.

Reactions: DougK1

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

Any thoughts?

Further to noPiano's comment, I concur absolutely. Listening to audio in your car is like having a can of headphones over your ear. If you're seeking the same or almost the same sonic effect, you could try active nearfield monitors.

The most excellent Adams AV7's work for me in my study. The Adams are nearfield but not exclusive to this setup, you can also set these up as conventional speakers, minus the amplifier. Also check out the competition, such as HEDD and EVE nearfield active monitors. Tie these up with the appropriate preamp/head amp, streamer/DAC/turntable. Hopefully this will give you the sound you're looking for.

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano and DougK1

boodysaspie

Jun 6, 2021
Visit site
Car audio can seem closer to headphone wearing, as the sound is very near field. Or more like desktop listening at home.

But, yes, as suggested, you need to hear few typical systems to hear what different presentations sound like.
Budget, room size, what source (CD, streaming etc)?

Almost certainly a trip to Richer Sounds and a demo would be a good idea, assuming that you are UK-based.
Apologies for the late reply.

Desktop, playing mp3s from my PC. Currently using a Yamaha CRX-550 mini system through Wharfedale Diamond 9s, and Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones at night.

Budget? Well, that's the question. Can you suggest a ballpark figure?

Apologies for the late reply.

Desktop, playing mp3s from my PC. Currently using a Yamaha CRX-550 mini system through Wharfedale Diamond 9s, and Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones at night.

Budget? Well, that's the question. Can you suggest a ballpark figure?
I’d suggest listening to systems at multiples of two, so, for example, £1,000 then £2,000 then £4,000. (If you’re lucky you may find something for £600 that suits you fine). This way you’ll get an idea of what the budget gets you, then you can focus in a bit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts