My budget streamer for Roon

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

ellisdj said:
insider9 said:
ellisdj said:
you will want to isolate the activity on the main used core to Roon only and push eveything else to the others.

no idea how you do that in Linux

I can see all the processes. In idle it uses 708Mb of RAM and has hardly any CPU use. There is literally nothing I can switch of that's unrelated. It's as bare as it gets. You don't get that with Windows.

Blacksabbath25 said:
Nice job mate ! 

Can you use windows by any chance as I have a copy of windows 7 doing nothing ?

Thanks Sabbath. And thanks for the offer but I really don't want Windows. Not only I belive it sounds worse and is worse for audio but the hardware I picked was not meant for Windows. What I have now works flawlessly and is already optimised. Windows would be a mine field to get tweaked not to mention it has much larger hardware expectations so I'd have to upgrade the streamer I just built. 

that's not what I mean - you want just 1 core for the audio service with nothing else using it. it doesn't matter on the usage (less is usually better as you know) it's the core isolation that's important
the software's I use do it but you can do it manually. Must be a way in Linux to set that
I understood what you meant but core utilisation would be down to Roon architecture.

Secondly, if I've known this I would do a different build as single core performance wasn't a top of my priorities. And assuming there is a way to do it, it could potentially restrict performance.

Bear in mind this is a single purpose machine. There's nothing running in the background that's not necessary. And I actually trust guys at Roon did the best job possible.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
ellisdj said:
you will want to isolate the activity on the main used core to Roon only and push eveything else to the others.

I can see all the processes. In idle it uses 708Mb of RAM and has hardly any CPU use. There is literally nothing I can switch of that's unrelated. It's as bare as it gets. You don't get that with Windows.

Blacksabbath25 said:
Nice job mate !

Thanks Sabbath. And thanks for the offer but I really don't want Windows. Not only I belive it sounds worse and is worse for audio but the hardware I picked was not meant for Windows. What I have now works flawlessly and is already optimised. Windows would be a mine field to get tweaked not to mention it has much larger hardware expectations so I'd have to upgrade the streamer I just built.
got a bit of confusion going on here *mail1*

I was thinking more about my self building a setup like you have but what I was saying was I have a copy of windows 7 so I thought I have a operating software already and I can build a Pc easily so I was wondering if windows 7 was any good for the job .*smile*

I did check on the room site and it does say I can use windows 7

insider9

There are lots of lines for both Intel and AMD. Even what you describe as normal i5 and i7 comes in different variants. Desktop and mobile. As well as models with T designation that have better thermal properties.

Problem with these desktop CPUs is high TDP. Even the T models have 35W TDP. That's significant amount of heat to dissipate and would be difficult with no fans. And would require specific case design to improve airflow. You could of course downclock them but then you might as well use a slower CPU.

Finally should you go with something like J5005 I'd be happy to assist. It really isn't difficult.

insider9

Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:
ellisdj said:

I can see all the processes. In idle it uses 708Mb of RAM and has hardly any CPU use. There is literally nothing I can switch of that's unrelated. It's as bare as it gets. You don't get that with Windows.

Blacksabbath25 said:
Nice job mate ! 

Thanks Sabbath. And thanks for the offer but I really don't want Windows. Not only I belive it sounds worse and is worse for audio but the hardware I picked was not meant for Windows. What I have now works flawlessly and is already optimised. Windows would be a mine field to get tweaked not to mention it has much larger hardware expectations so I'd have to upgrade the streamer I just built. 
got a bit of confusion going on here  *mail1* 

I was thinking more about my self building a setup like you have but what I was saying was I have a copy of windows 7 so I thought I have a operating software already and I can build a Pc easily so I was wondering if windows 7 was any good for the job .*smile*

Sorry, Sabbath I misunderstood. I'd still suggest Linux over Windows but yes if you fancy building something similar then I'd be happy to help.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:
ellisdj said:

I can see all the processes. In idle it uses 708Mb of RAM and has hardly any CPU use. There is literally nothing I can switch of that's unrelated. It's as bare as it gets. You don't get that with Windows.

Blacksabbath25 said:
Nice job mate !

Thanks Sabbath. And thanks for the offer but I really don't want Windows. Not only I belive it sounds worse and is worse for audio but the hardware I picked was not meant for Windows. What I have now works flawlessly and is already optimised. Windows would be a mine field to get tweaked not to mention it has much larger hardware expectations so I'd have to upgrade the streamer I just built.
got a bit of confusion going on here *mail1*

Sorry, Sabbath I misunderstood. I'd still suggest Linux over Windows but yes if you fancy building something similar then I'd be happy to help.
I probably build mine with Nas storage in mind as well as a streamer function and have a fast read and write drive so I could rip the CDs quicker and ideally solid stated hard drives but they can get expensive for the bigger storage ones .

but probably keep the Nas separate

insider9

Ripping wasn't my priority. But I wanted the option as liked the look of this case. If I'd have gone with a new optical drive it would rip much faster. However not sure how loud it would be. I am using SSD and the unit is silent in operation.

Lots things to consider as everyone has different priorities. At least Roon allows you to be really flexible with how you setup.

It gets really difficult/expensive really soon if you want to mix large storage and good performance with no noise and no heat.

If I'm honest I'm surprised I managed to do it at that cost and get it to do what I want it to do.

Will it provide equal sound quality to an audio grade streamer? Who knows.

I'm sure it is not worse than my other PC it replaced which was many times the cost and individual parts cost more then this whole little thing.

I'm happy for now. Should I feel the need to upgrade it I'll know who to contact ;)

Not to mention got another project I want to focus on *biggrin*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Ripping wasn't my priority. But I wanted the option as liked the look of this case. If I'd have gone with a new optical drive it would rip much faster. However not sure how loud it would be. I am using SSD and the unit is silent in operation.

Lots things to consider as everyone has different priorities. At least Roon allows you to be really flexible with how you setup.

It gets really difficult/expensive really soon if you want to mix large storage and good performance with no noise and no heat.

If I'm honest I'm surprised I managed to do it at that cost and get it to do what I want it to do.

Will it provide equal sound quality to an audio grade streamer? Who knows.

I'm sure it is not worse than my other PC it replaced which was many times the cost and individual parts cost more then this whole little thing.

I'm happy for now. Should I feel the need to upgrade it I'll know who to contact ;)

Not to mention got another project I want to focus on *biggrin*
No you have done well mate full marks *smile*

your definitely got my brain ticking because I could build one of theses and it would workout cheaper then say spending £2000 on a fancy streamer I’ve just got to wait till my amplifier sells tomorrow night and then I will have the money to build one .

how do you get the Apple software ? For the operating systems ?

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Yeah you are right. Need to get that optimum combination of performance and thermal management right. Even I have a small hole left in my main media cabinet for the server. So both size and noiseless operation are a priority for me. At the same time, I want it to be future proof too....if such a thing exists in the computer world. I was thinking about adding more processing power and ram to that end, till you mentioned thermal management :)

I will not need the cd drive or the ripping functions. A quick search on amazon in my place shows up a lot of combinations of Intel nuc's. From i3 to i7 and 4gb to 16gb ram versions. If I go with any of these standard nuc kits, will thermal management be taken care of. Thanks again :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
BS you can pick up a copy of Windows 10 for about £10
I have a windows 10 laptop with a USB stick backup windows 10 on it but pretty sure I couldn’t get away with using that copy of windows 10 as it’s only one license per computer now which is a bummer

insider9

Fanless NUC running Roon ROCK and you're sorted. Not worrying about hardware or software, or temps, or power use, etc.

Building a higher spec streamer would require much more expensive parts. Thermal management is one, then you have a question of power, storage. I wouldn't worry to future proof it though.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
ellisdj said:
BS you can pick up a copy of Windows 10 for about £10
I have a windows 10 laptop with a USB stick backup windows 10 on it but pretty sure I couldn’t get away with using that copy of windows 10 as it’s only one license per computer now which is a bummer 
people sell copies on Amazon and eBay for about £10 if you really want it

insider9

I'm glad you're inspired. And be happy to help.

I might sound like management consultant now but "Start with end in mind"

It really is that simple. What do you want it to do exactly? Will it be just for audio? How do you want to interact with it? What will you connect it to and how? What do you want if to look like? Where will you put it? How long do you intend it to last?

Once you know things like that decide on software first and then get hardware to support it.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Fanless NUC running Roon ROCK and you're sorted. Not worrying about hardware or software, or temps, or power use, etc.

Building a higher spec streamer would require much more expensive parts. Thermal management is one, then you have a question of power, storage. I wouldn't worry to future proof it though.

I will stick with rock on nuc. I don't need more than that. Guess iam sorted :)

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
onto the idea but it would have to output M2TS (BD) files and I'll need 2, one for the hifi and one for the TV using local HDD's. A NAS might be a better solution for me but it's all at the ideas stage for now.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I am interested in doing this streamer idea insider mate but I’ve just sold my amplifier for £800 and being picked up tomorrow but I am thinking Dali rubicon 6s or 8s as richer sounds will let me take my opticon 8s back without any loss of money and upgrade to the rubicons .

anyway I am tempted. *smile* but just means if I take the offer up on the rubicons then the streamer will have to wait a little bit longer

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I am interested in doing this streamer idea insider mate but I’ve just sold my amplifier for £800 and being picked up tomorrow but I am thinking Dali rubicon 6s or 8s as richer sounds will let me take my opticon 8s back without any loss of money and upgrade to the rubicons  .

anyway I am tempted. *smile* but just means if I take the offer up on the rubicons then the streamer will have to wait a little bit longer 

I would go with the rubicon suggestion. That will be a bigger jump in sound quality. And besides as insider9 has shown, you can always build one in stages.

The previous raspberry pi suggestion is also good solution. Though even I don't have that level of computer knowledge to make it work for me .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Do a home demo if you can. If they work in your room then it's a no brainer and I'd wait on a streamer.
might be difficult with rubicon 8s because they are normally a special order but I have hard the 5s and the 6s on a demo anyway I just thought I would let you no as I was interested in building a streamer but can’t do both *smile*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
I am interested in doing this streamer idea insider mate but I’ve just sold my amplifier for £800 and being picked up tomorrow but I am thinking Dali rubicon 6s or 8s as richer sounds will let me take my opticon 8s back without any loss of money and upgrade to the rubicons .

anyway I am tempted. *smile* but just means if I take the offer up on the rubicons then the streamer will have to wait a little bit longer

I would go with the rubicon suggestion. That will be a bigger jump in sound quality. And besides as insider9 has shown, you can always build one in stages.

The previous raspberry pi suggestion is also good solution. Though even I don't have that level of computer knowledge to make it work for me .
pretty sure I can do the build part as I’ve built my own PC before but might need insider help with the software part but we will see as I can put a operating system on a pc and find all the drivers ..

but as insider said last night what do I connect it to the router as part of my network ? That’s one thing I haven’t thought about

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
newlash09 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
I am interested in doing this streamer idea insider mate but I’ve just sold my amplifier for £800 and being picked up tomorrow but I am thinking Dali rubicon 6s or 8s as richer sounds will let me take my opticon 8s back without any loss of money and upgrade to the rubicons  .

anyway I am tempted. *smile* but just means if I take the offer up on the rubicons then the streamer will have to wait a little bit longer 

pretty sure I can do the build part as I’ve built my own PC before but might need insider help with the software part but we will see as I can put a operating system on a pc and find all the drivers  ..

but as insider said last night what do I connect it to the router as part of my network ? That’s one thing I haven’t thought about 

Will have to wait till early next year to get the funds going again. Will continue with wxc50 for now. My next priority will be nuc rock kit for roon server.

And there is a great American company called audio alchemy. Some great audio engineers with stellar talent but poor pockets started it. And their reviews are excellent. However they didn't have the pockets to hold on long enough for the brand to gain foothold and it tanked. Presently bought by elac. So their stellar gear is going steeply discounted. Iam considering getting a audio alchemy dmp-1 as the roon end point , once the diy roon server is built. I don't need a dac anyways. So that will be my completed setup, as when I get to complete it.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
newlash09 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

pretty sure I can do the build part as I’ve built my own PC before but might need insider help with the software part but we will see as I can put a operating system on a pc and find all the drivers ..

Will have to wait till early next year to get the funds going again. Will continue with wxc50 for now. My next priority will be nuc rock kit for roon server.

And there is a great American company called audio alchemy. Some great audio engineers with stellar talent but poor pockets started it. And their reviews are excellent. However they didn't have the pockets to hold on long enough for the brand to gain foothold and it tanked. Presently bought by elac. So their stellar gear is going steeply discounted. Iam considering getting a audio alchemy dmp-1 as the roon end point , once the diy roon server is built. I don't need a dac anyways. So that will be my completed setup, as when I get to complete it.
Rome wasn’t built in a day mate a specially when you keep getting side tracked *smile*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts