MY BRAND NEW ONYKO 875 JUST BLEW UP!!!!!!!!ADVICE NEEDED FAST

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i brought a onyko 875 at the end of june from R.S. i kept it boxed whilst i got the speakers,cd player and blue ray. got all my cable last night from the same place,connected the cd player and the front 2 speakers,it played 3 tunes and a flash of flames blew out of the top.bringing it back in the morning,does anyone know if they will replace or repair the product.I dont want it repaired as then i've brought a reconditioned unit for the price of a new one.please could someone give me some advice tonight.thanks

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
It may not be repairable if it's 'blown up'! Otherwise it's 3 months old and they may want to try and repair it. The fact that it's been sitting in it's box unused is neither here nor there legally.Did it damage anything else like an eqipment rack or other hifi?

A

Anonymous

Take it back they have to replace it. I would recommend you take out their 5 year refundable warranty, it sounds like you may need it.

If the receiver has actually been on fire I believe it is against the law for them to repair it, I think you have to get a replacement...ÿ

A

Anonymous

it didnt damage any thing else as it was sitting on a coffee table(still waiting for my atacama stand to arrive).just wondering if this has happen to anyone else and how r.s deal with returns

A

Anonymous

thanks.i did take out the 5yr warranty and there was a flame for a couple of seconds

A

Anonymous

I think RS are generally pretty good about replacing stuff, and under these rather unusual circumstances, any retailer worth their salt will be want to keep the customer happy. Besides, I imagine Onkyo will be keen to have this one back to strip it down and find out what on earth went wrong.

A

Anonymous

tractorboy:I think RS are generally pretty good about replacing stuff.

Generally maybe. Personally no.ÿ

Gort1951

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
The Onkyo av-amps have caught on fire before. Just look on the N. America forums.

I think that is true that once something has caught on fire it can not be repaired.

It happened to a lcd tv that I bought from WW and the whole room smelled of smoke. Lucky I was in at the time. I got a refund.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Gort1951:

The Onkyo av-amps have caught on fire before. Just look on the N. America forums.

I think that is true that once something has caught on fire it can not be repaired.

It happened to a lcd tv that I bought from WW and the whole room smelled of smoke. Lucky I was in at the time. I got a refund.

Someone I know had their whole house burn down when their LCD / Plamsa TV caught fire. I know them well but see them little which is why I'm not 100% sure of whether it was plasma or lcd. However the fire Brigade identified it as the seat of the fire by virtue of the fact that it was so hot there that it actually burnt through the floorboards and down into the footings! They had gone out at the time.

The tv was near enough brand new and a top brand beginning with P, I believe.

Moral of the story, swicth off your tv and av equipment before going out. I understand their tv wasn't switched on at the tv but was on at the plug.

As for Onkyo, I personally haven't found my 605 to get even more than warm but then again I don't need to drive it hard as my listening room is modest - around 12 feet square.

Gort1951

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
At the time I had just got in and put on the tv, it had been on for around ten minutes.

First it made a noise, went off and then back on then smoke came out of the back.

WW offered to repair it but I said no way after hearing that it was a common fault.

It was the Technosonic 32" tv.

A

Anonymous

Ditto for me, unfortunately. I'm on my second brand new Onkyo 875 this month. Bought the first brand new 875, September 2008 & it just didn't work from day one, no sound at all. Spent 2 wasted evenings checking & double checking all speaker connections etc. Got that one replaced with another supposedly brand new 875 just last week, (although the box it arrived in from Onkyo looked well used & every single piece of polystyrene packaging was smashed).

I was in the middle of a Monty Python movie on this replacement 875, at low volume, (we have 3 very young children sleeping in the house), I was aware of some funny clicking or switching noises coming from the 875, when suddenly there was a pop, the screen went blank I turned to the 875 to see a red light flashing, followed by a small flame & smoke coming out of the top left handside of the ventilated area. All quite frightening & in hindsight very alarming regarding the fire risk to my house & family.

I have always taken excellent, if not intensive care of my 875, I was well aware it could run quite warm, so it was well ventilated i.e. it was freestanding on my wooden floor, in my dining room, with nothing on top of it. I even opened a window to help it "breathe". It has always been run at low volume levels.

This model should be subject to an immediate safety recall in my opinion.

I am considering what the next course of action should be. I do not want another 875. Perhaps the 876 has been more vigorously safety tested. Perhaps I'll just ask for a full refund & switch to another brand, as my confidence in Onkyo has been so badly affected.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
bf1:Do What Hi-Fi reviewers test these whilst in possession of a fire extinguisher!!!

Well yes, any sensible reviewer will have learned over time the importance of having a fire extinguisher to hand, but to date my 875, which is one of the very early ones, has worked faultlessly.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Gort1951:

Well with the Onkyo amps im not at all surprised at this, i mean any component that gets as hot as these boys do is it all surprising? A friend of mine has the onkyo amp & i recently said to him "arnt you concerned it could catch fire? as it was hot!! as to having it repaired, even if they could repair it i wouldnt want it now anyway, i wouldnt even trust the brand again, ive owned countless amps etc & never in 20years have i heard of an amp bursting in flames before, id say get a pioneer or denon!! (thats just me) good luck at RS anyway.

A

Anonymous

thanks for all the info and advice.R.S offered me a repair,an exchange for a silver 875 or for an extra £100 an upgrade to a 905.went with the 905 and so far ao good.

A

Anonymous

Can you let me know if the 905 get's as hot as the 875 did. I have one that'll I'll be installing inside a cabinate and although I'm incorporating ventilation, I'm not sure what quantum of ventilation it'll need, so any advice gratefully received!

Gort1951

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
Scary stuff, I don't remember reading anywhere else of any other amp catching fire.

When you hear it once or twice you just think it's a one off but when you hear it in the UK, USA and Canada it's a bit worrying.

I only visit English speaking forums so I don't know about the rest of Europe.

A

Anonymous

tis a little! there been a few over on the the other forums i frequent! although i dont think they actually catch fire, its just caps blowing.

A

Anonymous

Will Harris:Can you let me know if the 905 get's as hot as the 875 did.

The 905 still gets pretty toasty Will, I wouldn't recommend placing it in an enclosed space...ever!
emotion-8.gif

Unless you're piping in A/C to the enclosure!?!?!?

A

Anonymous

garethwd:tis a little! there been a few over on the the other forums i frequent! although i dont think they actually catch fire, its just caps blowing.

Yea i read that somewhere that it was a cap(s) blowing, nice if someone could identify which ones.

A

Anonymous

smurphy - in this instance RS gave you a few options and you took one which you were happy with. thats great.

Just for reference, in an instance such as yours, you would have every right to demand a full refund. It worth bearing in mind that although the retailer may offer to repair it, you have every right to ask for a refund or a brand new replacement. for this purposes, the fact that it caught fire is irrelevant - the fact that it stopped working after 3 months should be enough for you to exercise your statutory rights.

A

Anonymous

hi there. sorry to hear about your receiver... i'm using the same receiver / speakers / projector for almost 1 year and never had any issues. it gets very warm sometimes but i never needed to use any special ventilation system.

however i am curios about the compatibility between the 875 and mt30 speakers. i'm a little confused because the sound doesn't seem to be stable all the time... and i suppose there are a few mistakes i made at the speakers settings section. can you please let me know how did you set up the receiver for these speakers and what is your inmpression on it. many thanks, t

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts