Musical Fidelity XA-2

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
One of these was mentioned in a topic I put up the other day. I have just seen one going for a good price

Wondering what your opinions on it are, I've seen a few old posts and people seemed to like it.

I would be pairing it with Monitor Audio RS5s

Thanks for any feedback

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I say Buy It !!!!! These are awesome amps. I so regret selling mine. No remote. Build is so solid too. It worked well with my RS6s and even better with some B&W CM7s I had.

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply,

I'm glad you said it worked well with the RS6s! Been wanting to improve the RS5s without spending too much for a while now

A

Anonymous

I had one for a few weeks and it was pitted up against a Cyrus 8VS2 and a NAD C352 amp with some B&W CM5's and a Rega Apollo and iTunes as the sources

Findings were:

MF X-A2 - Great amp; very well built (farily light though in comparison to the other amps). Great, detailed and open soundstage but bass was a bit light at times and the overall sound was too smooth with the B&W CM5's (also smooth sounding speakers IMO so probably not the right combo).

Cyrus 8VS2 - Superb amp; built like a brick and sounded fantastic. A little bright at times but the smoothness of the CM5's calmed this down. The bass weight was superb; deep and punchy but well timed and no lag

NAD C352 - Solid amp; built like a battleship and sounded amazing. Bags of power on tap. Overall soundsatge similar to the Cyrus but not as bright. However bass was a little too much at times.

If you want to calm the RS5's down then I'd say the XA2 would be a great amp to go for; more so if you can get it at a good price.

A

Anonymous

Buy it, see my profile pic, a former x-series owner, great amp.

A

Anonymous

I have also used a cyrus 8vs and a nad c352, both good but the xa2 the is best sounding imo, smooth, detailed and nice solid bass.

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Well I tried to buy it! But after that last minute bidding I obviously wasn't the only one watching it.

My other second hand option is a Creek Evolution, which was also mentioned to be before as a possible match. Any views on this one if I don't wait around again for more options to come up?

Thanks again for all your help.

A

Anonymous

Creek Evo is a good amp so would be worth taking a punt

Keep yur eyes peeled for the MF amps though; the XA1, XA2 and XA200R's crop on eBay weekly :)

A

Anonymous

I dont much about the creek, there is a musical fidelity x-80 on flea bay at a good price, that might be worth a look.

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks again, I'll keep a look out for some MFs as the Creek still has a week or two to run, but its a buy now or best offer.

Or if I find enough good stuff about the Creek maybe just give it a go!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts