Musical FIdelity - Speaker Selection

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently acquired a Musical Fidelity X Ray CD player, X-AS100 amp and X-P100 pre amp. All about 12 years old but in perfect condition. I'm looking for a really good pair of speakers of equivalent quality and capability to match with them. My listening room is reasonably large (25 feet by 18 feet by 14 feet high). I have pretty wide tastes and play classical as much as I play 70s Prog Rock so am looking for something with all round capability. Does anyone have any suggestions? Cheers.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
Firstly, what is your budget? and would you prefer floor standers or stand mount?
Cheers
Sugden A21L amp, Naim CD5XS CDP, Chord Cobra3 i.c. ProAc Studio 13 speakers

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I had a Musical Fidelity XA2 and used it with Monitor Audio RS6 (V. good) and B&W CM7 (fantastic ). I'd seriously investigate B&W.
The high sensitivity of the MA could suit better.
Is the AS100 50 wpc ?

A

Anonymous

richardbowker said:
I have recently acquired a Musical Fidelity X Ray CD player, X-AS100 amp and X-P100 pre amp. All about 12 years old but in perfect condition. I'm looking for a really good pair of speakers of equivalent quality and capability to match with them. My listening room is reasonably large (25 feet by 18 feet by 14 feet high). I have pretty wide tastes and play classical as much as I play 70s Prog Rock so am looking for something with all round capability. Does anyone have any suggestions? Cheers.

For what its worth, my second hifi is of this era: Meridian 206B (ok thats 1990), MF X-P100, X-A200 mono blocks, EPOS ES14s. For a while I had the ES30s connected and it sounded great, the ES14s also sound really nice but not quite so expansive, but may be more intimate tho. The one thing I like about both my systems is that they'll play any type of music and you can listen all day long (that's 2 things I like). ES14s go for about £200 make sure you get the stands as well, a pair of ES30s went for nearly £900 recently, they're great speakers, and aligned with what you're looking for I'd say.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Just seen it's 100 wpc. The MF manual recommends speaker sensitivity of over 88db.
Their reccommendation is for speakers by KELLY TRANSDUCERS (can't say vie ever heard of them).

A

Anonymous

Have a look at ProAc Studio 140's. They match very well with MF kit of that era. B&W 800 Nautilus series' match it very well too if you're willing to buy used. The 804's would be teriffic with your setup!

A

Anonymous

Thanks. Someone else had suggested the 804s. I may well try and audition those if possible. Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts