Musical Fidelity MX-DAC - anyone auditioned/heard one?

Hawkmoon

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
MF have made some excellent DACs in the past, I like the Burr Brown DACs, the great reviews out there are detailed and very complimentary and the price point is good, with little else sitting alongside it

daytona600

If you buy stuff from your local dealer they will let goood customers borrow units to try ( home loans )
£699 nice unit but since project bought MF now £499 excellent value
Musical Fidelity was, pretty well, the first hi-fi company in the world to make a DAC

Hawkmoon

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
Check out my review. Decent but the RME I did is a Qutest killer! A but more expensive but £300 ish cheaper then a Qutest.
Thanks Simon. So you rate the ADI-2 as in another league entirely to the MX-DAC ? I find that interesting if that's the case because didn't you say in your review of the MX-DAC that it gets within 80% of the sound of the Qutest?

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Thanks Simon. So you rate the ADI-2 as in another league entirely to the MX-DAC ? I find that interesting if that's the case because didn't you say in your review of the MX-DAC that it gets within 80% of the sound of the Qutest?

thanks very much. I think they are all close and undeniably, most of the time, we look at small differences In HiFi. I think within those bounds the RME is in another league and with its features. As I said in my vid, the manual is bigger than an aviation manual I have, but it’s a much better bet then the Qutest (I own) on value and all round features and similar good quality sound, albeit different.

Hawkmoon

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
Thank you Simon for sharing your wisdom on here, I appreciate it. Sounds like the ADI-2 is a real winner. Just a shame there is no opportunity to demo a unit it would seem. Do you think you need a high end amp to appreciate it? I have a Cyrus One

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Thank you Simon for sharing your wisdom on here, I appreciate it. Sounds like the ADI-2 is a real winner. Just a shame there is no opportunity to demo a unit it would seem. Do you think you need a high end amp to appreciate it? I have a Cyrus One

no as I used the Qutest on a Cyrus one cast and it improved it quite decently. But I thought the Qutest sounded a little better with the one cast tbh. More wider thicker set which suits the cyrus’ balance and detail. The rme was better with some ATC’s I tried - scm40a. So it suits a very neutral speaker. so will depend on speakers. The one (assuming new variant not80s?) is a very good amp just like the Hegel h120 I have atm.

Hawkmoon

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
Thanks. Yes it is the newer One but not HD or Stream, so Cyrus's 3rd gen class D amplification not their very latest 4th gen. Sounds good to me. My speakers are Dali Oberon 5. So it sounds like I may like the Qutest more than the ADI-2 with my setup?

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Thanks. Yes it is the newer One but not HD or Stream, so Cyrus's 3rd gen class D amplification not their very latest 4th gen. Sounds good to me. My speakers are Dali Oberon 5. So it sounds like I may like the Qutest more than the ADI-2 with my setup?

no idea what the dalis sound like with the Cyrus, and what your preference will be and as much as people can help on forums,its obviously down to you to find out on listening Is as helpful as I can be. Where are you I’ve got an rme and qutest. After lockdown....

Hawkmoon

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
That's an extremely kind offer Simon. Let's wait until Covid situation improves as I have elderly vulnerable relatives I need to visit regularly so am limiting my contact with people outside the family. But once again, thank you, an extremely kind offer.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
That's an extremely kind offer Simon. Let's wait until Covid situation improves as I have elderly vulnerable relatives I need to visit regularly so am limiting my contact with people outside the family. But once again, thank you, an extremely kind offer.

ok very sensible. Wasn’t sure what the rules were at the moment. Switched my mind off to it as it can be overwhelming sometimes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts