[SOLVED] Musical Fidelity M6SCD & M6SI Ordered (and collected)(then returned)sheesh!!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I finally made my mind up, i was going to wait till the new year, but got a call from Fanthorpes asking if i still wanted to order them, as they would hope to get them to me before the end of the week. so, i've paid the deposit, and gone for it.
looking forward to getting them home and enjoying a few days off trying them out. :)
i think the marantz turntable will go next year, and put a Gyro SE in there to finish it off.

Secondly, I always thought that the rule was the less in the signal path the better and wouldn't this device be adding more to the chain?
Final comment off topic* - I can hear no difference despite much toing and froing - ideally they go between pre- and -power amps as noise is more attenuated, but between source and amp works too.

*My mention was on topic, btw - at least in terms of problems reported.

Reactions: WayneKerr

robdmarsh

Final comment off topic* - I can hear no difference despite much toing and froing - ideally they go between pre- and -power amps as noise is more attenuated, but between source and amp works too.

*My mention was on topic, btw - at least in terms of problems reported.
Just ordered some from Analogue Seduction. Great job. This is what a good forum is about - finding inexpensive solutions. Thanks guys!

i have no problem with any off-topic stuff on any of my threads, thats how natural conversation flows.
i had considered the attenuators, but it still wouldn't stop the volume control on the remote being too big in jumps in volume, it would just move it a little bit further round the volume pot, so not the solution i was looking for with the MF6si. i can see they will work for some.
on a side note, i've borrowed a Meridian 508 cd player for a few weeks from a friend , just till i decide what i'm going to do re. new amp and cd player. I must admit, i'm happy enough with this cd player and the arcam a70 amp. :)

but it still wouldn't stop the volume control on the remote being too big in jumps in volume
It does exactly that. You are starting with a smaller signal, so the steps might be the same as far as the amp is concerned, but the net effect on the ear is that what was either just too quiet/just too loud can now be adjusted with the remote perfectly, and you are in the amp's mid range volume setting most of the time. You might have missed a trick. No matter if you are happy.

robdmarsh

It does exactly that. You are starting with a smaller signal, so the steps might be the same as far as the amp is concerned, but the net effect on the ear is that what was either just too quiet/just too loud can now be adjusted with the remote perfectly, and you are in the amp's mid range volume setting most of the time. You might have missed a trick. No matter if you are happy.
This is kind of what the guy from Analogue Seduction was explaining to me. From what I understood, what an attenuator does is match the volume of your amplifier better to the output of your source component. He said that if you find that amp is already getting very loud at 9 o'clock then the amp is not working optimally and using its natural gain. The attenuators allow an amp to use its gain better to provide higher volumes. So at the end of the day you should be getting a better performance from your amp because you're allowing it work at its optimal gain level.

the Volume was one aspect, the synergy between MF and my speakers was another
not sure if I should have stuck with them or returned, but at the time I wasn’t happy with what I was hearing for the layout, so had to make a tough decision.

WayneKerr

i think when i do get a new amp, its got to have the volume control with 0.5db steps in it. the Arcam A70 has it, and the Marantz PM14s1se had it, and its much preferable to me as it is much more controllable, i find the amps that get too loud at the 9 o'clock position are difficult for me to get at the right volume, they just don't seem to have the control via remote.
cd player wise, i'd like a usb port that takes a usb memory stick, and an optical in for the tv sound. any other digital inputs would be a bonus. not bothered about sacd as i only own three of them. and i don't stream . i prefer to listen to my own CDs.
Agreed. Can't understand with the price-point of the MF's, (they're not exactly cheap), they install a volume pot you would get on some budget amps. Had the same issue with the two previous Marantz amps I owned, too loud too quickly, hence the need for passive attenuators to reclaim some control of the volume. Why don't they reduce the sensitivity of amps to cater for the input voltage of current sources outputting 2+v?

I'm a bit of a numpty where this is concerned but I can't see that as being the issue. My Marantz Pearl Lite had an input sensitivity of 200mv, the Ruby is 220mv but the volume control is far more linear on the Ruby.
I don't think the issue is linearity - obviously my 308s are effectively the model before, but the problem seems the same - they are linear but unless you are dealing with a very difficult speaker load you often end up with this 'too loud beyond 11 o'clock' type of thing. It's gain that causes this, rather than power per se - or at least that's my (limited) understanding!

robdmarsh

Which ones did you go for Rob, -10, -15, -20? You could have had a loan of mine to try out as they're sitting in the drawer at the moment :) I have tried others but Rothwell are definitely the best (y)
After talking to the guy from Analogue Seduction I went for 15, the middle ground. If you think these things are good then why are they in a drawer?

Reactions: WayneKerr

WayneKerr

i have no problem with any off-topic stuff on any of my threads, thats how natural conversation flows.
Applaud you for this. Sometimes threads do creep off subject but there can be good results obtained when they do - Rob has got attenuators coming (y)Too many threads are locked just as they get interesting, appreciate the mods have a difficult job keeping things on the straight and narrow but leave policing of threads to OP's if they are time-served regulars.

WayneKerr

I don't think the issue is linearity - obviously my 308s are effectively the model before, but the problem seems the same - they are linear but unless you are dealing with a very difficult speaker load you often end up with this 'too loud beyond 11 o'clock' type of thing. It's gain that causes this, rather than power per se - or at least that's my (limited) understanding!
Need Gray's assistance here I think as most of this goes over my head and he has a wonderful way of explaining things to numpties like me :)

Need Gray's assistance here I think as most of this goes over my head and he has a wonderful way of explaining things to numpties like me :)
Gain is maybe best described as being like gearing. It's how much the amp magnifies what goes in. Power is what it then needs to apply this gain when things get demanding, and/or the load is a toughie.

I think that's true, but don't bet the farm on it...

TheDonald

Dec 7, 2022
Visit site
thank you. I am really enjoying them straight away. Fantastic sounding kit which have brought my speakers to life. They are definitely a better match genre wise. The Marantz were just a bit too laid back for Metal. Whereas the MF are punchy and precise. Forward, energetic, and very realistic. Very impressive.
As a fellow metalhead who has owned (and sold on :() the gear I'm about to recommend and loved how it played the music, I feel as though there must be a reason that someone hasn't already mentioned it...

Roksan K2 amp and CD player. Perhaps the K3 stuff is even better, I haven't heard it. Masses of power and control and bundles of fun.

Reactions: bigfish786
As a fellow metalhead who has owned (and sold on :() the gear I'm about to recommend and loved how it played the music, I feel as though there must be a reason that someone hasn't already mentioned it...

Roksan K2 amp and CD player. Perhaps the K3 stuff is even better, I haven't heard it. Masses of power and control and bundles of fun.

thanks for the recommendation. i was looking at the Roksan Blak while in the shop.. that stuff looks like battleship build quality, so i may just give that a go at some point.

Reactions: TheDonald

robdmarsh

never had any, or heard any.. maybe 2023 is the year of the demo?
Another slightly off topic post but I was listening to Chocolate Chip trip by Tool just now on my system, really just to hear what it would sound like as the Cheap Audio Man is always going on about it as a good test of sound stage and imaging. Definitely not my kind of taste but OMG is it fun to listen to the blisteringly fast drums and bass on this track and my Denon amp and Triangle speakers have no trouble keeping up. I think Denon can definitely do this kind of music (is it prog metal?).

Ataripower

Apr 14, 2022
Visit site
Personally I think you should consider Denon for amplification. In my particular case they get the balance between punch and excitement but also warmth and ease-goingness just right enabling long listening sessions. I've heard nothing but praise for the Anniversary 110 amplifier.

Also in my case, they have made a fantastic pairing with Triangle speakers.

Great suggestion the Denon Anniversary 110 amplifier. It performs way in excess of its seemingly conservative power rating. If you can still get one, well worth a trial. I've not come across anything below £7k that will get close to embarrassing this unit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts