[SOLVED] Musical Fidelity M6SCD & M6SI Ordered (and collected)(then returned)sheesh!!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I finally made my mind up, i was going to wait till the new year, but got a call from Fanthorpes asking if i still wanted to order them, as they would hope to get them to me before the end of the week. so, i've paid the deposit, and gone for it.
looking forward to getting them home and enjoying a few days off trying them out. :)
i think the marantz turntable will go next year, and put a Gyro SE in there to finish it off.

WayneKerr

The PM/SA 12 se are definitely of interest to me. I wish that marantz had put the better quality top plates on them both. My 14s1se looked much nicer because of them.
I know they probably sound very close to the ruby, but the look is quite cheap in comparison.
I see what you mean. Where I've got mine I can't even see the top, I've got it covered anyway to stop the dust :), never runs hot. Front appears to be identical to Ruby. Think the guts are identical too.
Applaud your hunt and sure you will eventually find the perfect partner for your speakers (y)

Reactions: bigfish786

WayneKerr

Not sure what you mean by limited performance but I suppose you're referring to the power specs. I've heard that Denon is pretty conservative with its power output numbers. As to your point about just touting our favorite brands I did consider what he thought was missing in his sound and upon reflection I thought that Denon might meet those needs.
Wasn't meant as a slight against you Rob, if it came over that way please accept my apologies. The Denon could be an option.

I am very guilty of pushing Marantz and Harbeth on here, I try not to but it's hard when you enjoy a combination.

i think when i do get a new amp, its got to have the volume control with 0.5db steps in it. the Arcam A70 has it, and the Marantz PM14s1se had it, and its much preferable to me as it is much more controllable, i find the amps that get too loud at the 9 o'clock position are difficult for me to get at the right volume, they just don't seem to have the control via remote.
cd player wise, i'd like a usb port that takes a usb memory stick, and an optical in for the tv sound. any other digital inputs would be a bonus. not bothered about sacd as i only own three of them. and i don't stream . i prefer to listen to my own CDs.

I've just been reading about these and I'm interested. Can you clarify for me the way they work? It seems to me they go into the RCA inputs between the input and the interconnects, is that correct? Also, are they easy to find in this country?
that's correct, they appear to be widely available and come with different levels of attention
With apologies to OP for derailing thread.....

WayneKerr

I've just been reading about these and I'm interested. Can you clarify for me the way they work? It seems to me they go into the RCA inputs between the input and the interconnects, is that correct? Also, are they easy to find in this country?
I know you directed this at 12th but as an owner of these I feel I can contribute.

They attenuate the signal from your sources. If you have a lively volume pot - too loud too quickly, these give you more dial sweep by lowering the signal input. They can be fitted to either end of the RCA, though you need to specify which end they are for, and are available in multiple -dB fixed settings; UK company so readily available.

I had them on both my previous amps as it was game-over approaching 12 o'clock position on the volume dial. I purchased the -10dB ones and they added about 2 hours movement to the dial. Hope this helps.

robdmarsh

that's correct, they appear to be widely available and come with different levels of attention
With apologies to OP for derailing thread.....
OK, thanks, found some on eBay for £38. A couple of questions about these if I may: if I had one criticism of my excellent budget Denon amp it would be that the volume control is very sensitive and I get to about 80db at 9 o'clock. I can understand that these would move the loudness further round the clock but wouldn't the sensitivity issue remain? Secondly, I always thought that the rule was the less in the signal path the better and wouldn't this device be adding more to the chain?

robdmarsh

I know you directed this at 12th but as an owner of these I feel I can contribute.

They attenuate the signal from your sources. If you have a lively volume pot - too loud too quickly, these give you more dial sweep by lowering the signal input. They can be fitted to either end of the RCA, though you need to specify which end they are for, and are available in multiple -dB fixed settings; UK company so readily available.

I had them on both my previous amps as it was game-over approaching 12 o'clock position on the volume dial. I purchased the -10dB ones and they added about 2 hours movement to the dial. Hope this helps.
Ah, thanks I'm understanding a bit more. So when you say you can add them either end of the RCA, which is "the best end" in your view?

WayneKerr

OK, thanks, found some on eBay for £38. A couple of questions about these if I may: if I had one criticism of my excellent budget Denon amp it would be that the volume control is very sensitive and I get to about 80db at 9 o'clock. I can understand that these would move the loudness further round the clock but wouldn't the sensitivity issue remain? Secondly, I always thought that the rule was the less in the signal path the better and wouldn't this device be adding more to the chain?
Sensitivity is always an issue for many amps, in many cases the amp is not designed to receive 2.2v from say a CDP. These attenuators are totally transparent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts