[SOLVED] Musical Fidelity M6SCD & M6SI Ordered (and collected)(then returned)sheesh!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I finally made my mind up, i was going to wait till the new year, but got a call from Fanthorpes asking if i still wanted to order them, as they would hope to get them to me before the end of the week. so, i've paid the deposit, and gone for it.
looking forward to getting them home and enjoying a few days off trying them out. :)
i think the marantz turntable will go next year, and put a Gyro SE in there to finish it off.

It was always a gamble for me going for the MF M6si and M6scd but wow. What an amazing bit of kit. They are delivering everything I hoped for and more. And it’s only been a few hours, CD is amazing. Phono stage in the amp too. I’m over the moon with my purchase. 😊

\o/

You certainly know when the sound is right. Great stuff.

Reactions: Al ears
It was always a gamble for me going for the MF M6si and M6scd but wow. What an amazing bit of kit. They are delivering everything I hoped for and more. And it’s only been a few hours, CD is amazing. Phono stage in the amp too. I’m over the moon with my purchase. 😊
I'm really glad you are pleased - look forward to a full report.

Concur with @12th Monkey , enjoy your new bundles.

thank you. I am really enjoying them straight away. Fantastic sounding kit which have brought my speakers to life. They are definitely a better match genre wise. The Marantz were just a bit too laid back for Metal. Whereas the MF are punchy and precise. Forward, energetic, and very realistic. Very impressive.

Reactions: RoA and Al ears
D

Deleted member 201267

thank you. I am really enjoying them straight away. Fantastic sounding kit which have brought my speakers to life. They are definitely a better match genre wise. The Marantz were just a bit too laid back for Metal. Whereas the MF are punchy and precise. Forward, energetic, and very realistic. Very impressive.

Glad you are happy with your new purchase.

May i ask has the new kit improved further after more hours use ?

Hi, the phono stage started to come to life but the overall performance became tiring and unenjoyable.
The volume control was too harsh. Went too loud too quickly. Couldn’t find a happy spot. Found myself forever turning it down. At first they brought the speakers to life, but that soon became fatiguing.
So, unfortunately I returned them both.
I really wanted to like them, at some points they sounded great. But there wasn’t enough useable power or control for me to enjoy and keep them.
Which is a real shame.

D

Deleted member 201267

Hi, the phono stage started to come to life but the overall performance became tiring and unenjoyable.
The volume control was too harsh. Went too loud too quickly. Couldn’t find a happy spot. Found myself forever turning it down. At first they brought the speakers to life, but that soon became fatiguing.
So, unfortunately I returned them both.
I really wanted to like them, at some points they sounded great. But there wasn’t enough useable power or control for me to enjoy and keep them.
Which is a real shame.

This is why a home trial is essential, in my opinion, with kit of such a high financial outlay.

Hope you find what your after soon.

It’s not the first time over the last 12 months that I’ve bought what I assumed would be good equipment only to be disappointed.
The more reviews of recent stuff I read the more I think it’s the new highly revealing sound I don’t like.
That's a real bummer, sorry to hear you're disappointed. Where do you go from here?

im Working away from home at the moment so I’ve got lots of time to decide.

Rega Saturn 3 Elicit 5 and planar 8 is one option.
Marantz Ruby or 12se pair is another.

The old Arcam A70 will be back on duty this weekend.
Tricky decision for you. Made more complicated as you desire amp and source from the same company. Otherwise I would suggest a Arcam A49, but Arcam no longer make hi-end CDPs.

Very few companies IME make great amps and CDPs. Marantz bucks that trend as does Leema (Tucana/Antila), otherwise I would suggest a Class A amp or maybe even tube.

Tricky decision for you. Made more complicated as you desire amp and source from the same company. Otherwise I would suggest a Arcam A49, but Arcam no longer make hi-end CDPs.

Very few companies IME make great amps and CDPs. Marantz bucks that trend as does Leema (Tucana/Antila), otherwise I would suggest a Class A amp or maybe even tube.
Given your previous set-ups not sure if Rega is the answer. But only a demo will decide. Not also convinced Marantz Ruby will be better than your old Marantzes, given your specific requirements.

Suggestions:

Exposure
Arcam A49
Sugden Masterclass
Croft (hybrid tube and Class A/B)
Leema Tucana/Antila
Yamaha 2100

Or perhaps go vintage, such as Leak or something on those lines.

Or dare I say it: look at different speakers. They seem to be tricky to match well.

Reactions: WayneKerr
Bigfish, did the previous Marantz work better with your speakers than the MF?
Good question.

I'm also going to suggest contacting Triangle's UK distributor or the dealer where the speakers were purchased and ask them what amp works best with the Genese Lurr.

Didn't realise normal retail price is currently 3k - with those drivers only the likes of a Tucana or Masterclass will control those speakers to the expected level.

Good question.

I'm also going to suggest contacting Triangle's UK distributor or the dealer where the speakers were purchased and ask them what amp works best with the Genese Lurr.

Didn't realise normal retail price is currently 3k - with those drivers only the likes of a Tucana or Masterclass will control those speakers to the expected level.
You could try Primare kit, the amps are pretty powerful.
Lavardin are also very good, French, but expensive

You could try Primare kit, the amps are pretty powerful.
Lavardin are also very good, French, but expensive
Lavardin are very good (reputational-wise), but from memory the reviews I've read they are fairly low powered. The same reason why I haven't put forward Sugden A21 - meaty sounding but only 30 watts per channel I believe, which won't be enough to power sufficiently @bigfish786 beasties.

Lavardin are very good (reputational-wise), but from memory the reviews I've read they are fairly low powered. The same reason why I haven't put forward Sugden A21 - meaty sounding but only 30 watts per channel I believe, which won't be enough to power sufficiently @bigfish786 beasties.
Strange as I have have read that Lavardin are some of the best load-tolerant amps out there.
It doesn't necessarily mean hundreds if wpc are required to adequately control speakers.

Strange as I have have read that Lavardin are some of the best load-tolerant amps out there.
It doesn't necessarily mean hundreds if wpc are required to adequately control speakers.
Based on the IS reference model it's 2 x 50 watts per channel. And they don't come with a remote as standard, that's extra cost.

I know watts per channel isn't the be all... but based on the OPs specific requirements, it might well be.

It's just my gut feeling

robdmarsh

Personally I think you should consider Denon for amplification. In my particular case they get the balance between punch and excitement but also warmth and ease-goingness just right enabling long listening sessions. I've heard nothing but praise for the Anniversary 110 amplifier.

Also in my case, they have made a fantastic pairing with Triangle speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts