Musical Fidelity M6i - Still Worth a Listen despite age?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
JMac said:
I thought the accepted rule of thumb was that the speakers should cost approximately twice the price of the amp? I know there's no such think as a hard and fast rule but wont the speakers become the limiting factor at that point making significant improvements beetween two ampls marginal?

There are a lot of views regarding how funds should be split between source/amp/speakers, so I can only give you mine, which has been formed from personal experience.

There are no particular hard and fast rules, but my thinking would be as follows:

- The effect that a really decent amp can have on a given pair of speakers, compared to a much cheaper one, has to be heard to be believed.

- Cheaper/Mid-range speakers are capable of much greater performance than is often realized.

- Good Class A amps, like the Masterclass, are more expensive as their internal components (power supply, output transistors etc) have to be more robust to cope with the extra heat and that particular topology.

- SS Class A sounds different to anything else, so combining the IA-4 with something like the D18s, will make the Proacs sing like little else that is substantially cheaper.

- I quoted that particular example as you said you would consider buying used. If you were paying £4k for that amp, my view would be a little different. IMO. Getting that amp for around £2500 would bring improvements in line with the extra cost.

Nothing is straight forward in this game as there are so many variables like room, source quality, system synergy/compatibility, personal taste/expectation, diminishing returns and the quality/VFM of the components involved....some components have raised the bar for their price range, and very often that is on the speaker end, which means more expensive amplification isn't wasted.

FWIW. I don't expect anyone to take my word on this and would encourage personal experimentation....it's the only way, as there are so many conflicting opinions out there.

EDIT. Here is a taste of what you will get: http://www.soultosoleaudio.com/pdf/Sugden%20Masterclass%20Hi%20Fi%20World%20December%202007.pdf

boshk

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
when you guys buy UK Ebay items like the Sugden amp which cost 2500+ pounds, do you actually go test it? Do you get nervous it might.......not work?

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
That thought had crossed my mind. Fortunately with paypal if its DOA you'd get your money back but yes, spending that sort of money on second hand electronics is a daunting prospect.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
JMac said:
That thought had crossed my mind. Fortunately with paypal if its DOA you'd get your money back but yes, spending that sort of money on second hand electronics is a daunting prospect.

My idea was to list interesting options and give an idea of cost. Ebay is not the only source of used products, as dealers often trade in them as well.

axman

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I have the M6i paired up with an M-Dac. The built in DAC is nowhere as good as the M-Dac.

With Spotify on my iPad:

iPad > camera connection kit > USB > built in DAC

vs

iPad > bluetooth (Belkin songstream) > M-DAC

the M-DAC is clearly far far better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts