Musical Fidelity M6i - Still Worth a Listen despite age?

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that the M6i has been discointuned with the arrival of the M6si which has resulted in dealers offering it for around £1500 as clearance. This seems stonkingly good value to me but I'm also conscious that its a relatively older amp now and maybe technology has moved on since its launched, particularly in respects of the built in DAC. Whats peoples views on a M6 for £1500? Would it be better served getting a Roksan M2 or similar?

tazzo

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Depends on your budget, and quality of other components such as speakers. I know the M3i is going for about £599 cut from £1000. To me that is a good deal. Just because it is an older amp, do not count it out, my speakers are 17 yrs old, bought early this year for £880 (RRP £2467), they are the best speakers I have ever heard, I have heard a few and having owned LS50's also.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
The M6i is a super amp which used to cost £2500 Have a listen you will not be disapointed loads of power great control .I have an M6i and a M6-500i and I love them both.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
The M6i was on my top list once I made a list of potential amps for upgrade,.once I heard this amp it was a big dissappointment

lack of power was obvious (strange once the manuel declare 2*200 W) , dull and dry sound , shallow sound stage .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Isac, mine and TM's posts above, are a brilliant example of why Hifi is so personal/subjective....and a demo is so necessary.

matthewpiano

Don't be put off by the age of the design. My speakers would now be considered an older design and have been around a long time, but my experience is that they are the equal of any of the speakers I've heard under £500.

Same with my CD player. It is a 20+ year old design, but that doesn't stop it from delivering wonderful sound.

Old gold is still gold. Audition and see how it takes you!

Should certainly be worth a listen for that price. Would not pick it purely because it has a USB input though. Does it in fact have an inbuilt DAC? I can see no mention of it on website. It just states it has a USB input.

Pretty much irrelevent though as if I was spending this sort of money on amp I'd already have a decent seperate DAC in the system.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The M6i is a very listenable and enjoyable amp. A 2,500 pounds it was good value; at 1,500 it's a steal.

Tonally, I'd describe it as warm, not overly bright yet punchy.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
+1000 to all the good comments on M6i...

It does have a built in DAC but nothing to shout about though.

At that price... I am sure you will find it to be a good value.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
It's the DAC that actually leaves me questioning how good a purchase it would be. I could spend the extra £600 and get an M-DAC but then i start to wonder whether I'd be better off getting two 8200mb's to go with that instead (I really like dual monos or monoblocks). Or a Naim DAC-V1 and two PWR 100's

Either that or wait until I can afford the Musical Fidelity M6SI. Ideally, I'd like to get to the 'end result' with my amp and DAC before I buy the speakers. I have a pair of Tannoy DC6 at the minute but they'll be changed in the next 6-12 months for something else. I havent quite decided between another set of stand mounters or towers next.

JMac said:
It's the DAC that actually leaves me questioning how good a purchase it would be. I could spend the extra £600 and get an M-DAC but then i start to wonder whether I'd be better off getting two 8200mb's to go with that instead (I really like dual monos or monoblocks). Or a Naim DAC-V1 and two PWR 100's

Either that or wait until I can afford the Musical Fidelity M6SI. Ideally, I'd like to get to the 'end result' with my amp and DAC before I buy the speakers. I have a pair of Tannoy DC6 at the minute but they'll be changed in the next 6-12 months for something else. I havent quite decided between another set of stand mounters or towers next.

If it is the quality of the DAC that has you concerned and not so much the quality of the amp then for that sort of money I would seriously consider auditioning the Hegel H80 which is a brilliant amp with a brilliant DAC built in. *drinks*

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
You seem to be doubting between quite different sounding equipment, with the Naim and the MF.

As for the amp, I don't know if you refer to the M-PWR or the NAP 100. But in either case, I'm not sure they can be set in mono mode.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
It was the NAP100 but i havent looked in to it too far to see if they can be run in mono mode or not. I know they're all a little or quite a bit different in sound but I'm open to trial and error as to what I think would work best for me. I like a sharp, forward, accurate sound and dont tend to like overly 'warm' sounds but also conscious that I dont want anything too bright with the tannoys tweeter.

99.5% of my music is digital so the DAC is important.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
JMac said:
. I like a sharp, forward, accurate sound and dont tend to like overly 'warm' sounds but also conscious that I dont want anything too bright with the tannoys tweeter.

99.5% of my music is digital so the DAC is important.

You should listen to a Bel Canto C5i, which (imo) meets that description, and has a great DAC to boot......I suspect it would match very well with Tannoy. ie. Fun, lively and clean, without a sharp treble and with decent, full bass.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Seeing how you describe the sound you are looking for, I think it'd be a good idea to audition the MF before buying it. It may not be it.

Adding to CNO's advice, I'd also suggest Arcam and Exposure.

The V1 is also a superb DAC.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm able to audition Musical Fidelity, Roksan, Arcam, Primare and Sugden but unfortunately others would require a blind buy or extended travel. I think I'm also going to try and buy used to get something better than what I originally budgeted and also hopefully I'd be able to minimise the losses if I decided it wasnt for me.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
JMac said:
I'm able to audition Musical Fidelity, Roksan, Arcam, Primare and Sugden but unfortunately others would require a blind buy or extended travel. I think I'm also going to try and buy used to get something better than what I originally budgeted and also hopefully I'd be able to minimise the losses if I decided it wasnt for me.

Try to get a listen to a Sugden A21 SE or second hand Masterclass IA-4....it might just be for you.

With something like this, you forget about smooth/bright/dynamic/detailed etc, as it just sounds "right": http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sugden-Masterclass-IA-4-Integrated-amp-/151346678999?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item233cf70cd7

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
If we could put along side our avatars what part of the country we live in then if a forum member who lived nearby who has got the equipment that some one else is interested in and didn't mind said person popping in for a listen or even taking there gear round to interested parties house for a home dem an exchange of views and tea/coffie /cake etc .good idea or not ?

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I thought the accepted rule of thumb was that the speakers should cost approximately twice the price of the amp? I know there's no such think as a hard and fast rule but wont the speakers become the limiting factor at that point making significant improvements beetween two ampls marginal?

tazzo

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I dont agree at all, I think 2/3 would be a better judgement.

Although I have paired a Roksan K2 and a Yamaha A-S500 amp (upgraded with valves and caps - full RRP cost £650) with Mission E34 speakers which also where RRP £650.

It was only when I added tube buffers and started to upgrade those that the speakers started to lose their sparkle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts