Musical fidelity M6i or Naim Nait xs to drive my B&W 683

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
@ El Hefe:

Thanks I have to say I'm curious about the results of the combo. But like you say I will ask the dealer connect the TT as I know he has it in stock. An I think the results of that test against the m6i with the M1 Vinyl will probably determine my choice. As I have around 1000 Vinyl's I think it's an important factor ;-) beside I can ad the prx afterwards to improve my system an SQ, no?

@ acalex:

95% of my music is on cd an vinyl for the moment so I don't really need it but If I have one it's a nice bonus ;-). I would really like check that out, an even maybe take a cd player with me see how it sound true a dac can be an interesting test ;-) I don't think taking my TT is a good idea it might be disappointing....but if you like to try it anyway I bring it as well.

Send me a message see if your free Somewhere in the afternoon this week or next Saturday.

Btw: I'm a bit surprised those Avalon's didn't convince you.... They seem to be out of the picture?

To be honest with you that day the 803’s didn’t convince me at all that day but neither did the Sonus Faber…

Personally I would like to hear the Avalon’s an the SF with a TT true that AMS & the Jadis

But hey “your ears” ;-)

@ powdrhound:

Thanks for the reply. True the 683' have more in theme than most people give them credit for sertenly in that price range.

I don't know Perreaux as brand did a bit of research found some great stuff about those amp's If I find a shop where I can demo theme I will.

I listen to a few amp’s now an all of them where nailed down by t MF at this point... (also keeping in mind the price value)

I wanted to listen to the Plinius as well But didn't find a shop to listen too theme.

For both amps I can of course travel to the Netherlands for a day...

Naim xs was on my list to, but I already gave my impressions on this. (but hey this is not really in the same price range as the Perreaux's)

Never considered a Harmon Kardon but hey that's a personal issue.

So IMO Perreaux & Plinius would be on my demo list (as I give myself still 4month's before making my final decision) if I have the chance, preferably in a shop who sell’s MF as well but oké maybe I should stop dreaming...

I looked ad 2nd hand as well from time to time just never found something that fits me...considering what I already heard.

@ Potts:

I think this is interesting as you say You just recently getting the sound you’re looking for by adding a DAC.

I assume You bought the Naim xs than the Flat cap xs to improve an than recently the DAC.

But as this sound like a long way to go to finely getting your "perfection".

My question is What made you chose for the Naim xs in the first place?

Don't get me wrong as I wrote I think it's a superb amp. It sounded perfect all the way, nice & laid back. For me I was just missing a bit of excitement an the surprise factor that the M6i give me from time to time...

To all of you thanks I have some great advices here an points of view’s where I can work on, many thanks.

I hope I can keep learning from all of you.

But in the end it will be my ear's Who will decide ;-)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:

This is the key. Despite appearing obvious, all too often people think that other peoples' ears are "more knowledgeable" and so don't always have the courage to go with their own preferences.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Roby said:

This is the key. Despite appearing obvious, all too often people think that other peoples' ears are "more knowledgeable" and so don't always have the courage to go with their own preferences.

Cno, have you heard the AMS 50 or 100 with the Primo?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Helmut80 said:

I daren't!!

....though being serious for a minute, they're not (as far as I know) available to hear in Ireland, otherwise I would have made the effort. The problem is the amount of power they drain from the grid, my "little" amp was measured pulling 414W from the mains (going flat out) by this crowd:
http://www.avhub.com.au/images/stories/australian-hifi/reviews/2011-03/Musical_Fidelity_AMS_35i_Amplifier_Review/musical_fidelity_ams35i_amplifier_review_lores.pdf

My dealer has heard the Primo/AMS100 at various good hifi shows and says it's staggeringly good...massive control, giving monumental bass, excitement, incredible transient response and all without getting harsh.

I think I would pair them with some Sonus Faber Fenice and a Klimax DS (after the lottery win). 8)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Helmut80 said:

I daren't!! ....though being serious for a minute, they're not (as far as I know) available to hear in Ireland, otherwise I would have made the effort. The problem is the amount of power they drain from the grid, my "little" amp was measured pulling 414W from the mains (going flat out) by this crowd: http://www.avhub.com.au/images/stories/australian-hifi/reviews/2011-03/Musical_Fidelity_AMS_35i_Amplifier_Review/musical_fidelity_ams35i_amplifier_review_lores.pdf My dealer has heard the Primo/AMS100 at various good hifi shows and says it's staggeringly good...massive control, giving monumental bass, excitement, incredible transient response and all without getting harsh. I think I would pair them with some Sonus Faber Fenice and a Klimax DS (after the lottery win). 8)

I would be happy with the Amati Futura already :D

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Roby said:
@ acalex:

95% of my music is on cd an vinyl for the moment so I don't really need it but If I have one it's a nice bonus ;-). I would really like check that out, an even maybe take a cd player with me see how it sound true a dac can be an interesting test ;-) I don't think taking my TT is a good idea it might be disappointing....but if you like to try it anyway I bring it as well.

Send me a message see if your free Somewhere in the afternoon this week or next Saturday.

Btw: I'm a bit surprised those Avalon's didn't convince you.... They seem to be out of the picture?

To be honest with you that day the 803’s didn’t convince me at all that day but neither did the Sonus Faber…

Personally I would like to hear the Avalon’s an the SF with a TT true that AMS & the Jadis

But hey “your ears” ;-)

Roby, what do you think about tomorrow? Any time...I will send you a text.

Regarding the demo we shared, the Avalon DID convince me, they were stunning in terms of microdetails, speed and accuracy. They were reporting the music exactly as it was played. That's why I said they are the perfect speakers for a musician!

As far as I enjoy this type of listening, I am convinced that after a while it might become tiring...and I am not looking at this as for me the emotions and feeling are more important...I actually thought they were stunning speakers...just not my cup of tea for what I am looking for. I do not have any music background so for me the hi-fi as to be "capturing", wrapping you into emotions...don't mind if that's maybe a bit "coloured".

The SF Cremona (floorstanders) we tried were not convincing me at all as well...but you have to hear what the Jadis can do with the SF Guarneri Memento (which are a completely different speakers from what we heard) and then you will understand the type of sound/presentation I am talking about. If the AMS would outperform the Jadis with those speakers and a good TT, than it will be an hard call for me.

To be honest I don't think those Avalons were a perfect match for the Jadis...it wasn't fair competition as the AMS could shine through these speakers...for the Jadis was a bit harder.

But the 3rd of March you will hear all of this and maybe you would be able to help me coming to a conclusion as well ;)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Helmut80 said:
CnoEvil said:
Roby said:

I have also refused to do that...as that might have been so dangereous...

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
MMM I checked it out an apperantly the the import of perreaux for the Benelux is in Uterecht. Send theme a mail if I can have a Demo closer to my place somewere.

We will see.

They look great but want to hear how they sound....

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Roby said:
MMM I checked it out an apperantly the the import of perreaux for the Benelux is in Uterecht. Send theme a mail if I can have a Demo closer to my place somewere.

We will see.

They look great but want to hear how they sound....

see if you can get a chance to listen to the Perreaux Eloquence 250i

Potts

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Roby said:
@ Potts:

I think this is interesting as you say You just recently getting the sound you’re looking for by adding a DAC.

I assume You bought the Naim xs than the Flat cap xs to improve an than recently the DAC.

But as this sound like a long way to go to finely getting your "perfection".

My question is What made you chose for the Naim xs in the first place?

Don't get me wrong as I wrote I think it's a superb amp. It sounded perfect all the way, nice & laid back. For me I was just missing a bit of excitement an the surprise factor that the M6i give me from time to time...

Hey Roby.

I admit that I didn't really audition anything before I got the Nait XS. I originally had a Nait 5i which I really liked... I was looking to upgrade and I came across an ex-demo Nait XS for £950. So I took it home for a week and loved it. It seemed like a natural progression (from the Nait 5i), and I liked it that much that I felt it was worth getting at the knock down price considering it was in perfect condition.

It think its definitely the laid back presentation that I like about the Nait XS though, especially in my set up... I think the 683's can sound a bit too heavy on the top end if partnered incorrectly. You do get lots of detail with the Nait XS, vocals sound great and really project out from the speakers, and as the WHF review states... it's very musical; you just tend to sit back and really enjoy the music without it being to analytical. It's probably down to taste, maybe I just enjoy that more laid back sound? I think that is probably true considering I went for the Rega DAC as well. Also, the addition of the Flat Cap improves the sound further.

The only other thing I did audition was a Naim NAC 152 XS/NAP 155 XS pre/power. However, I definitely prefered the Nait XS and felt that the NAC 152 XS/NAP 155 XS was too forward and a bit harsh sounding in my set up... I wasn't impressed.

Like you say though, all you can do is trust your ears! Good luck :)

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
So got a call from the Perreaux dealer in Belgium.

First of all There is only 1 who is selling those amp's in Belgium witch make's it verry expensive (the price he anounces was 1500 at 2000€ more than in the Netherland's witch make it over my target budget. an this is without the build-in dac an phono stage whith bothe are an +- 1000 additional €'s :-()

I'm shore I get some from the price but still...

Secound He called me a monday morning on my cell An personally I found him a bit agressive. But oké afther a while I accepted his "invite" (Saterday 24 in the afthenoon)

Actualy I'm really courius because whit that kind of technieks you have to be pretty shore about the convincing power of what you'r selling.

Mmmm let's hear it :)

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

Had the chance To go to Antwerp, there is a Hifi shop open there on Sunday.

A bit of a messy shop but a lot of differend brands an nice people.

First after chating a bit with one of the owners. He said he couldn't make me compare The M6i was in demo for a week at a client's. But he he made me sit to listen to a Acuphase E-250 Saing it's way better (but duble the price of an M6i)

So I sit down for a demo first on Monitor Audio GX300. First oké it sounded oké but was not convinced. I had the feeling it was way to bright. Bass was clean but not that deep as on par example the M6i on 683's.... Beside afther a few song's I had the impression that on top of that I was missing some detail there clearly was with the M6i.

Then he conected 804's It was already way better....(provably I realy like BW sound) way more warm less bright an an ther was a deeper an musicaler bass...

But still less detail than with the 804's on M6i an less punchy exitement

It sounded good but I was missing somthing I had even with the naim niat xs (who lost for me against the M6i) give me more entertainment.

So I was not convinced...

But he asked me if I could come back when he heve the M6i back an he want me to compare again. An He said he will also surprice me with some alternave's

So I think it was a good move to pay theme a visit

An I'm really courious what he will make me hear ;-)

(BTW song's I used are the one's I always take with me for d'emo's)

Will write about the next experience's soon....

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well done! Next time you go to Antwerp or any shop in Bx just give me a call and I will try to join if I can ;)

Still I want to hear this M6i you keep telling me all the time! :)

How would you compare the M6i with the AMS35i that we tried together?

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Helmut80 said:
try the 804 with the M6i ;)

I did an it sounded great still have the RRR from it. ;)

That's why I asked ti try the 804's on the Acuphase E-250 and good sound but no RRRRR.... :-(. so not convinced.

Soon I will try the M6 pre&prx on 804's against the M6i & I will also test the M6500i.

I think that if I hear nothing convincing in the few other demo's I planed (Perreau, or somthing else the dealer in antwerp want to try) This will be provably the step true my disission....

To be honest the best thing I heard at the momment was:

AMS35i on Avalon idea (I think)

But

1) I'm not shure I want to spend that kind of money

2) I'm not the kind of listener for a class A. When I have time yes most of the time I'm in a hurry wake up have 1h an go. or I come home for 30min during the day between client's an go again. So have no time to wait my amp to warm up an cant use a electrical timer because I never know when I will be home....

So the thing that made me dream the most at this point was M6i on 804's

I will see if the upgrades a worthe the money...an I will make a disission from there.

But at this momment I heard differend amps an even more expensive one's from other brand's but nothing came close

At least for me...

:?

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
acalex said:
Well done! Next time you go to Antwerp or any shop in Bx just give me a call and I will try to join if I can ;)

Still I want to hear this M6i you keep telling me all the time! :)

How would you compare the M6i with the AMS35i that we tried together?

You'r more than welcome

Beside I would like your opinion as well

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
So I finaly got the call I go have a listening to the M6 500i friday.

Altrough Those who read my tread about the seperate Parasound gear I demoed., Well let just say I'm more an more thinkeng that separat the pre an power amp might be the way to go for me....

Unfortunatly He don't have the M6 pre&prx yet so I have to wait to hear that one. Still I called the Belgian import directly an he promessed me they will send the demo kit to my dealer ASAP....

First I will see what this amp will give....

I'm already shure it's a great amp but with the speaker upgrade I have in mind for the future I'm shure I don't need that kind of power.

But oké let's see I might really love it an want to buy it immidiatly. An who know's meby I can have a great deal on it....

Basicly it's the same budget as the separate version....so...

A

Anonymous

HI Roby,

I am following your topic with some interest (from now on:)). Although in living Australia, I am also Dutch (but will communicate here in English of course:)), own B&W speakers (CDM7se) and am trying to decide on a few things regarding more or better power (than my denon receiver is feeding the B&Ws).

Started thinking multichannel poweramp, now re-considering maybe 2 channel. Which brings up the next challenge: just power amp or integrated 2 channel with HT bypass ...... still a way to go I guess.

Looking at the specs and description I am thinking the MF M6i (200 OR 500) might be intersting for me as well (so there's the reason for finding your topic here:)).

Groeten uit Australie:)

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Hello

I have a Yamaha receiver which is great for cinema but I never liked 2 channel stereo. I added a rotel power amp to try and improve things and it did improve a little. I now use an integrated with ht bypass for films and then use it alone with my cdp for stereo. It's a much better sound using the integrated so I would advise to do this if stereo playback is your priority. If you use a power amp with your receiver it's still limited by the receivers pre amp. I hope this helps you. I feel I wasted my money a little as £350 on a power amp only gave me a small improvement. Using my old a75 amp gave me a massive step up.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
perthpete said:
HI Roby,

I am following your topic with some interest (from now on:)). Although in living Australia, I am also Dutch (but will communicate here in English of course:)), own B&W speakers (CDM7se) and am trying to decide on a few things regarding more or better power (than my denon receiver is feeding the B&Ws).

Started thinking multichannel poweramp, now re-considering maybe 2 channel. Which brings up the next challenge: just power amp or integrated 2 channel with HT bypass ...... still a way to go I guess.

Looking at the specs and description I am thinking the MF M6i (200 OR 500) might be intersting for me as well (so there's the reason for finding your topic here:)).

Groeten uit Australie:)

I think M6i and M6500i are two very different amps despite being produced by same manufacturer and sharing same model number. It is really up to you which one you prefer. I really enjoyed the M6i (which I keep saying at that price level is hard to beat), didn't like at all the 500i. But that's very subjective...M6500i is very fast and transparent, very detailed but lacked the emotion and musicality the M6i had. You really have to try both to decide.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Ben,

Yes, i am starting to lean more towards integrated 2 channel amp with HT bypass... Big decision though still to make on whether I want ability to keep options open for extension to multichannel power or not .. (hope that makes sense:).

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Oké I was not really present on my Topic because I explained my findings by hi jacking a bit another tread (sorry Acalex :oops: )

Anyway I had a few demo's of the M6i an have to say to me it's still unbeatable at the price. I can promise you, you can't do anything wrong by buying one....

Even if sound is subjective my guess is it will be hard to dislike it.

Beside you cm7's despite looking to the specs are POWER hungry (like all BW speakers). The M6i will drive them beautifully.

But oké to be honest this is coming from a BW fan who have been convinced in the last few month's by the quality of MF products ;-)

About the M6 500i I do not completely agree with Acalex, well I do but I didn't dislike the amp It's just completely different.

Let me try to explain....

Frist of all I think before my demo, even If I try to go with a neutral mind to each demo. I think when I look back, I was expecting too much from this amp....(or maybe not too much but something different mind-blowing)

The M6 500i is be beautiful amp Clean, transparent, ultra detailed controlling everything to perfection. When you read in different reviews this is an amp that add or hide anything from the recording, well this is definitely true.... It's unforgiving any bad recording.

A bad recording will make you want to throw everything true the window.....

Is if you're looking for accuracy this is definitely the one for you, no doubt about it.

But for me it was to perfect If I can say such thing it was so perfect that it took away some emotion musicality & punch...

All true this is personal an I suggest you have a demo for your one you might really like it.

My only regret in the demo is that I didn't try it on BW 804 or 803's :-( The speakers where Avalon's Idea, which normally I really like....But for the M6 500i I think it was not the best match, second speaker we tried where Dynaudio C1 shelf's this was slightly better to my ear's but still not what I'M looking for.

The song's where the usual song's I mentioned before in my tread.

Than we put the AMS 35i an here to say there it was again.....But year this is an other playground (other budget).

I will probably write about that when I have a proper demo an I decide I want to stretch that kind of money....

I'm still waiting for the call of MF for a demo of the separate combo... this is more the price range of the M6 500i. Maybe that's the way to go....

An I have a demo of the Sugden masterdlass I on Saturday ....But those findings are for next week :)

So my conclusion stay's MF make great product's. But I thing They did something terribly wrong with the M6i.

Because When you listen to the M6i.... You ask yourself if any upgrade is really worth it....

Well it is something I'm still struggling with.

An I'm still convinced MF an BW are a good match but that is really somting everyone have to deside for himself.

I hope this clarify things a bit (perthpete)

I’m coming closer to my one choice all true I’ve not decided yet if it’s worth the money an I still want the hear a few thinks…..

grtz

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts