Musical Fidelity M6i Integrated Amplifier Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Roby said:
Hey El Hefe,

Just out of curiosity what would you gain adding the M6prx to your M6i?

I also wanted to ask you Since you have the M1 clic.

I want to buy it, An plan to use it as DAC. So I guess there is really no point buying the M1 dac aswel or is it really better in your opinion?

Thank's

Hi Roby,

I am one of those lucky ones who can actually hear the difference when a speaker is being bi-amped. I have always been bi-amping my speakers for the past 12 years except in this last year when I revamped my whole set up. Had to delay the plan a bit to biamp to get additional cash for the power amp :)

CLiC vs M1 DAC:

I still keep M1 DAC becuase I utilise the balanced XLR/AES connection from my CDT and to the M6i amp. CLiC does not have this option. If you are planning just to use the coaxial connection for your CD player, then there is no difference between them.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Roby said:
Hey El Hefe,

I want to buy it, An plan to use it as DAC. So I guess there is really no point buying the M1 dac aswel or is it really better in your opinion?

Thank's

Roby, did you have another listening to the M6?

Did you decide or not yet? If you want we can go maybe on saturday to listen to something else to Antwerpen (where my favourite shop is). I surely will go there by car so if you want a ride don't hesitate ;)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
El Hefe said:
Roby said:
Hey El Hefe,

Thank's

Hi Roby,

I am one of those lucky ones who can actually hear the difference when a speaker is being bi-amped. I have always been bi-amping my speakers for the past 12 years except in this last year when I revamped my whole set up. Had to delay the plan a bit to biamp to get additional cash for the power amp :)

CLiC vs M1 DAC:

I still keep M1 DAC becuase I utilise the balanced XLR/AES connection from my CDT and to the M6i amp. CLiC does not have this option. If you are planning just to use the coaxial connection for your CD player, then there is no difference between them.

Just a newbie question, can you biamp your speaker with a power amp and an integrated amp? You do not need 2 power amps to bi-amp?

Thanks!

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Acalex: Didn'd diside yet but An José is on a outside job this week I think so my hearing against the naim will be for next week I think.

But for the momment The M6 have the 1st place... Still want to hear the M6 pre & prx combo as wel (not such a big price difference)

Might try Bi amping as well see If I can hear the difference ;-). Also want to hear a tube amp see how it sounds.

For saturday I really like that can I give you a call Friday? BTW are you still making up your mind? How does it go with the Jadis Listening? enjoying theme?...

Elhefe: Thanks for the info strange I didn't see that diference when checked the site.... :oops:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Roby said:
Acalex: Didn'd diside yet but An José is on a outside job this week I think so my hearing against the naim will be for next week I think.

But for the momment The M6 have the 1st place... Still want to hear the M6 pre & prx combo as wel (not such a big price difference)

Might try Bi amping as well see If I can hear the difference ;-). Also want to hear a tube amp see how it sounds.

For saturday I really like that can I give you a call Friday? BTW are you still making up your mind? How does it go with the Jadis Listening? enjoying theme?...

Elhefe: Thanks for the info strange I didn't see that diference when checked the site.... :oops:

I agree with you...but if you liked the sound of the AMS35 I think you will end up buying the M6 as I suppose the Naim is quite the opposite. Very interesting to listen to the combo as well, if you don't mind I would like to come with you when you demo it...but if you prefer being alone there, no offense of course ;)

Sure you can call me on Friday, you could even come for a coffee and enjoy a tube amp! ;) Yes I am listening to the Jadis, still didn't have the time to properly set-up the speakers correctly (opnened a new thread for that), sit back and enjoy...no time for now. But I will do soon. I have to take it back the Jadis end of February so not rush ;)

Damn it sound so good today that's almost impossible to switch it off and keep working...and that's still with the RX6...when I will get the Guarneri I won't work from home anymore otherwise....

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Acalex,

Yes you can still biamp with an int ampand just one power amp. I use the int amp to drive the tweeters and the power amp to drive the woofers. Its only when you use a pre amp that u will need 2 power amps to biamp.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
El Hefe said:
Acalex, Yes you can still biamp with an int ampand just one power amp. I use the int amp to drive the tweeters and the power amp to drive the woofers. Its only when you use a pre amp that u will need 2 power amps to biamp.

Thanks for the explanation. So you are bi-amping horizontally basically, correct? So for example I could use my old Vincent to drive the woofers and the new Jadis 50 to drive the tweeters? Interesting.

I see you have same TT brand I would like. Did you ever try the Performance (next step from Concept)? Which phono stage you are using?

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions! :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
El Hefe said:
The M6i is definitely one of the highlights of my hifi venture this year. No fuss at all with any type of music that I play through it. Even playing my old cassettes, the amp shines through. I don't have any equipment matching issues as most of my kit are MF products. A keeper it is for many years to come. I didn't match with the A3CR power amp. Aiming for M6 PRX next year.p

At the risk of being shot, I would strongly recommend you have a listen to to the AMS35i, before going down the biamping route. You could easily find it sounds better. >)

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
I know this is a long shot, but has anyone heard the M6i with a pair of Kudos X2 speakers? If so, how would you describe the match and their suitablility for each other?

I heard the Kudos speakers recently and was extremely impressed. They were being driven by Naim 202/ 200 amps which suited them very well.

I ask about the speakers suitability with an M6 as the Naim amps cost more than I want to spend and I have a nagging doubt that the lively sound may get a bit wearing over time.

I am interested in the M6i as I have read great things about it and used to enjoy owning a MF A1 (class A amp)

Any comments or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Helmut80. Can you remember which speakers and amps you heard?

Has anyone else heard the X2s with Musical Fidelity (specifically the M6i)?

I don't know of any dealers that sell both Kudos and MF to allow me to demo them together.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
acalex said:
El Hefe said:
Acalex, Yes you can still biamp with an int ampand just one power amp. I use the int amp to drive the tweeters and the power amp to drive the woofers. Its only when you use a pre amp that u will need 2 power amps to biamp.

Thanks for the explanation. So you are bi-amping horizontally basically, correct? So for example I could use my old Vincent to drive the woofers and the new Jadis 50 to drive the tweeters? Interesting.

I see you have same TT brand I would like. Did you ever try the Performance (next step from Concept)? Which phono stage you are using?

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions! :)

NOt sure what you mean by horizontally bi-amping. I dont think you can use both your Vincent and Jadis to drive your tweeters and woofers at the same time as both of them are integrated amps. Bi-amping can be done when you have:

1. 1 integrated amp with pre-outs + 1 stereo power amp

2. 1 integrated amp with pre-outs + 2 monoblocks

3. 1 pre-amp + 2 stereo power amp

4. 1 pre-amp + 4 monoblocks

I did compare with higher grade models of Clearaudio TTs but as I just got into playing TT, I would rather have a simple plug and play TT for starters. I did however upgraded the MM cartridge to MC though.

I am using MF M1 ViNL phono stage which was a huge step up from the NAD PP2.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
El Hefe said:
The M6i is definitely one of the highlights of my hifi venture this year. No fuss at all with any type of music that I play through it. Even playing my old cassettes, the amp shines through. I don't have any equipment matching issues as most of my kit are MF products. A keeper it is for many years to come. I didn't match with the A3CR power amp. Aiming for M6 PRX next year.p

At the risk of being shot, I would strongly recommend you have a listen to to the AMS35i, before going down the biamping route. You could easily find it sounds better. >)

Dont tempt me !!!!!:p

I would love to own an AMS amp but it might be above my budget...although I do have a history of always going overbudget hahahah.

Whats the RRP for AMS35i in UK?

The local distributor in Malaysia is quoting GBP3000 for the M6PRX for me.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
El Hefe said:

I would love to own an AMS amp but it might be above my budget...although I do have a history of always going overbudget hahahah.

You can get one for about the price of a M6i + M6 PRX. They are £6k, but if you push, you can usually get 10% off. IMO It knocks the socks off the M series.

If you listen to it, you WILL buy it.....so tread carefully. ;)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
El Hefe said:

You can get one for about the price of a M6i + M6 PRX. They are £6k, but if you push, you can usually get 10% off. IMO It knocks the socks off the M series. If you listen to it, you WILL buy it.....so tread carefully. ;)

I can confirm...is really addictive. If I do not take the Jadis D50RC Signature after this month's trial that's my purchase for sure....it has "almost" the musicality of a great valve amp but the power, speed and control of a top-notch SS amplifier. It's beautifully built and a pure class A...

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
hey

if you search a bit you can find the AMS for around 6000€

Tempted
smiley-wink.gif

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi El Hefe can you tell me do you leave your m6i on 24 7 as I have noticed tha my noisy transformer is sometimes

silent for a couple of days I was wondering if I turn it on and its silent may be leave it on what do you think ?

altsouza

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi El Hefe, :quest: :quest:

I am late for this thread, but I need help on my new purchase.

I am Planing to replace my Parasound Combo (P7+A23) for a Integrated Amplifier to drive my KEF R300.

I narrowed the options for M6i or Cambridge 851a.

The Cambridge is a better buy ($$) , but some folks said taht the R300 requires more power.

Also, will the replacement l be a side step???

Any help will be wellcome

Thanks

Antonio

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi altsouza,

Your Kef sensitivity is 88 dB, hence technically, I believe even the CA851a can drive it easily at 120 wpc. My ProAc D18 has the same sensitivity and I have experienced the benefit stepping up from 50 wpc (MF XA1) to 70 wpc (MF M3) to 200 wpc (M6i). I do believe more will give better results but the best way is still to demo your speakers with the amp of your choice.. Good luck.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
altsouza said:
Hi El Hefe, :quest: :quest:

I am late for this thread, but I need help on my new purchase.

I am Planing to replace my Parasound Combo (P7+A23) for a Integrated Amplifier to drive my KEF R300.

I narrowed the options for M6i or Cambridge 851a.

The Cambridge is a better buy ($$) , but some folks said taht the R300 requires more power.

Also, will the replacement l be a side step???

Any help will be wellcome

Thanks

Antonio Hi I have listened to the kef r500 and the r700 on the end of the M6i and if the r700s had not been so tall I would have bought the kefs as they really whent well very with the M6i loads of power and control massive sound stage it will make you listen again to all of your music good luck get a home dem if you can

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi altsouza,

I think you should consider 2 other good and powerful options and for my opnion much better than the MF M6i and CA 851 :

ROTEL RC-1580 (pre) + ROTEL RB-1582 (power)

AUDIOLAB 8200Q (pre) + AUDIOLAB 8200M ( monoblocks )

Digi_Man

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I have been using a M6i integrated in my system for around a month. Previously I was using a Primare I30 amp,
Although the Primare was a very good amp, the sound difference from the M6i is substantial.
More Transparency
Tighter more controlled base
Effortless response to transients
Brings out not only more detail from the music, but the timbre of individual instruments is more defined.
Loud, complex orchesteral pieces appear to be made up of different instruments rather amalgomating into a grouped noise.

My system comprises of - Spendor D7 Speakers, Cyrus XPQX streamer with power supply and Musical Fidelity M6i amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts