Musical Fidelity M3 CD vs A3.5 cd?

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
It seems that my A3.5 CD transport has failed. I'm looking into cost of repair but if I need to replace it the M3 would seem to be a logical replacement, especially if I can get an ex-demo price. Can anyone comment on how they compare? Is the M3 an evolution/improvement or the same sound re-boxed? Any alternatives I should weigh up?

A

Anonymous

Not heard it Kevin but logic says the DAC chip will be more modern? :)

A

Anonymous

The M3CD is an upgrade. I felt that it was a bit more of a neutral sound than the A3 models. Bass is much tighter with the M series players, and the midrange has better instrumental seperation.

There's been one or two on eBay as ex-dem lately for about £799 I think. You could always get the M1CDT and the M1DAC which is about the same price and opens up options for high quality digital connectivity from other sources aswell. I think this would be a worth upgrade too.

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Monstous. The M1DAC/M1CDT does look very appealing, especially with worries of longevidy of CT transports and extra digital inputs from cable TV/radio. In the meantime my kindly dealer has lent me a NAD C545BEE, which although I'm sure is excellent at the price only goes to show how much I miss the MF, especially working through a bunch of new classical CDs.

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Well the demise of my A3.5 CD is looking more and more likely, and listening to Yessongs on the loan Nad C545BEE is just not the same :( . I'm looking forward to trying the M1DAC/M1CDT combination.

But thinking ahead I would like to upgrade the whole system in time so I'm interested in considering more expensive CD players which whilst being a good match for my existing amp and speakers would also enable me to get the most out of better equipment. I've become a bit of an MF fan over the years but I've heard the MF M6CD is not a great advance over the M3 or M1DAc (unlike the M6 int amp). I'm open to suggestions from other manufactures maybe up to £2k provided I get substantial improvement with my existing system as well as future upgrades. I listen to a wide range of Classical (seeking out best recordings), prog rock, female vocals, Dylan, Van etc etc.

Any recommendations I should seek out for demo with my existing kit?

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Well fantastic joint effort by my dealer Doug Brady and Musical Fidelity. My MF A3.5 CD is back at home with new transport and other bits, all covered by warrenty on a previous repair. I can now enjoy working through my CD collection again. Just proves the importance of backup from a supportive manufacturer and dealer.

:cheers:

I won't be worrying about upgraditus for a while, but it will be nice to go back to them both eventually when I can aford a MF AMS system

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kevin Stephens said:
I won't be worrying about upgraditus for a while, but it will be nice to go back to them both eventually when I can aford a MF AMS system

A word of advice......don't listen to the AMS range until ready to buy. I made this mistake and ended up with the AMS 35i (after 6 months of resisting), as nothing else came close. I just couldn't get the sound out of my head. :read:

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil:

Yes I know! At the moment I'm sticking to contentment of wanting what I have rather than having what I want.

As a matter of interest, do you keep the AMS35i switched on ready, or do you only fire it up when you want to use it? If so do you have to wait a while before it comes into its own? Is it uncomfortble in your listening room during thos hot summer evenings?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kevin Stephens said:
CnoEvil:

As a matter of interest, do you keep the AMS35i switched on ready, or do you only fire it up when you want to use it? If so do you have to wait a while before it comes into its own? Is it uncomfortble in your listening room during thos hot summer evenings?

The AMS35i does not have a "standby" mode, it's either on or off. When on, it's drawing around 330W from the mains.....this means it only gets switched on when in use, but it takes little more than 20-30 mins to heat up (it doesn't sound bad when cold). I've said it before, but this is the best amp I've heard under £10k.

I live in a drafty old house (Ireland - what hot Summer evenings?) with big rooms and high ceilings, so it's never a problem.

In case you haven't seen this, it makes interesting reading:
http://www.avhub.com.au/images/stories/australian-hifi/reviews/2011-03/Musical_Fidelity_AMS_35i_Amplifier_Review/musical_fidelity_ams35i_amplifier_review_lores.pdf

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts