Failing cd player:Repair, replace or External DAC

JvD

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

My 10 years old Cambridge Audio 640c V2 cd player again (had it repaired 4 yrs ago) suffered from a broken down analog out. Only one of the 2 (the red analog out) is failing. The Optical output (toslink)is working. I just upgraded the set (640A, 640T and 640C) with some new Focal 906’s and this breakdown is a bit saddening. My amplifier does not have digital inputs. I miss the USB input in my amplifier which is also firm on my future wishlist.

I see 3 paths out of this situation.

Repair again, failure of this kind seems common with the ca640c but will set me back around 100 euro. But I wonder if the expected lifetime warrents this investment.

Replace: Replace the cd player (and the entire set since i want the set to have matching fronts).Benefit is that i will have a new system with an amplifier (or streamer component) that has a USB connection for my PC. But will set me back around 2K. Will want something that matches my new Focals and is at least an improvement.

External DAC: Use the DAC to connect the Toslink of the cd player and PC USB connection with my amplifier. Will cost me around 150Euro and gives my old set some new tools. Again for the time being depending on the remaining live time of my Cambridge set. But can I expect the same sound quality from a 150 euro DAC to be comparable with the quality of the internal DAC of my CA 640C since I will use the cd player as a transport only. Furthermore the DAC will be a waste when i have to replace the system in the future due to technical failures to be.

I an happy with my current set in combi with my new Focals. Not sure if i can get much better sound with a budget of 2K for amplifier/ cd player separaties combo.

Maybe the forum has some advice or even more options to consider?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Changing the whole hifi just because the CD player has failed is a bit like redecorating the bathroom just because you can no longer find matching toilet paper. Why don't you look out for a used one on eBay and save about €1900 of your €2k budget

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Oh to have enough money to burn to replace the entire system because one output on the CD player is broken :D

When you say the output is "breaking down", what exactly went wrong with it the first time? If it's just a case of some solder joints it shouldn't take someone with a soldering iron more than half an hour to repair it. Even if some passive components are failing it should be an easy and cheap repair. If it is a microchip on its way out then you are getting towards "junk the player" territory but only if it's a part thats no longer available.

That said you could probably better the sound of the player by using an external DAC - all depends on how much you wish to spend, repairing the player, adding a DAC or replacing the whole system (!) in order of expense.

MajorFubar said:
Changing the whole hifi just because the CD player has failed is a bit like redecorating the bathroom just because you can no longer find matching toilet paper. Why don't you look out for a used one on eBay and save about €1900 of your €2k budget

+1

If you're going the transport and external dac route be sure to start with a decent transport I.e. ditch the CD player.

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
True, I also wouldn't want to bother with adding a DAC to a broken player.

Depending on what's gone wrong with the player I suspect it shouldn't cost anywhere near 100 Euros to repair it?

JvD

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
[/quote]

+1

If you're going the transport and external dac route be sure to start with a decent transport I.e. ditch the CD player.

[/quote]

If I go with the DAC, why would i ditch the cd player? The analog out is not functioning anymore. I can still use the toslink out. As a transport the cd player is functioning fine. The laser and cd tray never failed me. Finding a good DAC (regarding the 10 years of DAC advancement) would be not that of a problem.

+1

[/quote]

If I go with the DAC, why would i ditch the cd player? The analog out is not functioning anymore. I can still use the toslink out. As a transport the cd player is functioning fine. The laser and cd tray never failed me. Finding a good DAC (regarding the 10 years of DAC advancement) would be not that of a problem.

[/quote]

Fine. Use it. It's about 11 years old an the laser mechanism will fail one day. If you're going to pay to replace that then it might just be better to pay for it all to be fixed now and forget the DAC.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
https://www.richersounds.com/cambridge-dac-magic-100-blk.html

as the best option, three digital inputs and a usb for connection to a pc, if the cd player transport is working fine then why bother replacing the whole machine.

*music2*

insider9

MajorFubar said:

Hello there :) Long time no see

How have you been?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts