Musical Fidelity A3 driving a larger speaker?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone knows how the Musical Fidelity A3 will be driving a multi (4+) driver large speaker like the B&W 683, or even KEF Reference Model 3's at a push?

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Musical Fidelity A3 will be much better at driving demanding speakers than many other amps out there. Having said that The B&W 683s are more sensitive than my standmount MA GS10s so no worries; enjoy!

A

Anonymous

Kevin Stephens:Musical Fidelity A3 will be much better at driving demanding speakers than many other amps out there. Having said that The B&W 683s are more sensitive than my standmount MA GS10s so no worries; enjoy!

Good, nice to know :). The amp arrives today actually!

Got a set of JM Labs Electra 926's coming soon I think. It should drive them and sound amazing to boot!

A

Anonymous

Just to note the A3 will drive the speakers but not to their full potential. It will be close to clipping driving a big load like the speakers you suggest at medium/high volumes.

I just sold a A5.5 to somebody who had the A3 and he was amazed by the difference in technology & power. He said it finally felt as though his speakers 'filled' out.

Also worth a note for a future upgrade path anyway.

Your initial setup will be a great start.

A

Anonymous

Vinny7:
Just to note the A3 will drive the speakers but not to their full potential. It will be close to clipping driving a big load like the speakers you suggest at medium/high volumes.

I just sold a A5.5 to somebody who had the A3 and he was amazed by the difference in technology & power. He said it finally felt as though his speakers 'filled' out.

Also worth a note for a future upgrade path anyway.

Your initial setup will be a great start.

My original plan was to get an A5, but the price I got the A3 for, I can call it a temporary upgrade and I will be able to sell it for more than what I bought it for. Hopefully I see one soon for a decent price. There is one kicking about used for £895 on a forum but that price is sky high! Might even consider bi-amping with the A3 power amp to bring the JM's out a bit, if I find one nice and cheap.

I am always surrounded by neighbours, so wont be running to clipping level. Apart from weekends!

A

Anonymous

IMO Avoid the A5. It might sound brilliant at first but lacks a lot of the greater things about MF Amps, in fact over time I found it to be very dry & lifeless.Yes its great for power, dynamics and detail but doesnt have the finesse and musicality for other MF amps.I remember I sold my A5 to get the A5 Pre&Power. That didnt help too much either. The only amp I havent heard which might suit your bill is the A308. Else try something like the A5.5 instead.

You can always speak to MF or JSAudio about an upgrade and reep the benefits as another possible upgrade path too.

Great news btw on your Amp. I remember you have been looking for a long time!
emotion-2.gif

noddy1977

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I had an A3 running a pair of B&W 704's but found it did not have enough grunt to drive fully and would struggle at about the 11o'clock position, I later upraded to a A308 which was a match made in heaven powering the B&W's a treat, I sold the A3 to a friend who's using some Ruark stand mounts and it seems better suited to those, never the less still a fantastic amp and still going strong after 10 years of high usage

Hope this helps

stretchneck

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
I have a A3.5 driving B&W 683's - no problems, infact I have never gone past half way as it's just too loud (even for a house party). The B&W 683's are easy to drive.

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
A3 will drive the speakers with no problem, I'd just avoid already lazy speakers like B&W 683. JM Labs will be much better match.

TrevC

noddy1977 said:
I had an A3 running a pair of B&W 704's but found it did not have enough grunt to drive fully and would struggle at about the 11o'clock position, I later upraded to a A308 which was a match made in heaven powering the B&W's a treat, I sold the A3 to a friend who's using some Ruark stand mounts and it seems better suited to those, never the less still a fantastic amp and still going strong after 10 years of high usage

Hope this helps

I'm glad I'm not your neighbour.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts