Musical Fidelity A3.5 and B&W XT4`s?

insider9

From reading only it seems both are smooth. This may not be ideal. I've heard a lot of good about the amp, not heard anything about the speakers. Have you got one already?

What's the size of your room? What volume do you usually listen at? How far will you place the speakers in relation to walls? How far from the wall do you sit?

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! I have the B&Ws and believe they require lots of power. I have at the moment 80watts per channel RMS. The Musical Fidelity is 150 per channel. Room size 25/30 square metres. I love to wack the volume up when the missis isn`t home! (No near neighbours!) Speakers are about one foot in front of the wall so I`m about 6 metres from them. The What HI Fi review of these speakers says `they love high volumes´ Many thanks

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Amplifier Denon DRA-700AE (80 watts RMS per channel) Denon Super Audio CD Player DVD 1930. Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference Turntable with Ortofon VMS 20E MkII

insider9

I've missed your reply.

I'll be honest I don't have experience of any of the discussed components. So it would just be an educated guess.

I believe a step up would be quite big from your Denon. But it really depends on price as there are alternatives. And whether you're happy with smooth presentation.

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks insider9!! No problem. I have decided to go ahead with the Musical Fidelity. It`s a 400 kilometre trip one way but I`ll get a lift one way. I`m sure there will be a difference. Don`t know how the missis will react when she finds out I can`t play my LP`s any more??!! Just had a look at your gear, a different leauge, wow! Have a good summer!

insider9

Thanks for your kind words and your wishes. You're showing some serious dedication to the hobby. So far the most I've done hifi related was a 400-mile trip to pick up my speakers. You'll do 500 miles :)

Please consider these things. I'm not trying to dissuade you, but that's what I'd be asking myself in a situation like that.

Are you buying from a dealer or from an individual? Will you be able to hear the amp on collection? What if you believe there may be issues with it when collecting, will you be prepared to walk away from the deal? What if it's ultimately not to your taste once back home will it still worth the effort? Would you then build a system around it or would you try and replace speakers? Are there alternatives that don't require the trip and/or are easier to obtain lowering the risk? Is the price really that attractive to make such serious commitment? Will it be easy to move on where you are when/if you want to upgrade?

Finally, at 500-mile round trip will you be able to do it safely in one day? I know my personal limit is 600 miles of motorway driving. 500 miles is a sweetspot. Anything over 600 miles in a day is just murder.

Hope all goes well and I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts about the combination. Please update the post in a while. I'm very interested to know. You too have a good summer. Best of luck!

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Wow, a great reply. Briefly, I am more of a music lover than a hi fi fan, but I love to listen with good sound. I rarely change my system. My first system back in the seventies consisted of a Garrard SP25 and a Metrosound 10 watts per channel amp! My XT4`s I bought a couple of years ago. Not only do they look great, they sound great, but, apparently need power! I will take a bus one day and come back the next day with a friend in his car. It is from an individual and we have been in e mail contact, he is now on holiday and not home. He is sending pictures first but assures me all is well. I will of course listen. If there is an obvious issue I will not buy, but he tells me all is as it should be apart from a couple of minor scratches, which I have seen. The price is 470 euros (he originally asked 525) but these amps rarely come on the market, specially here in Finland.

Thank you for your interest and also for your excellent use of the English language.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts