Music Server/Hard Disk with CD, Amplifier and DAB in one box?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been looking around on the internet for a product that had all of the above and can't see to find anything, does such a thing exist?

I guess what I'm looking for is like a Brennan but with a radio etc. Anyone any suggestions?

Thanks

PS I've seen some things that advertise themselves as 'music streamers' - what exactly do these do? (Beyond the obvious..)

Richard_235:

I've been looking around on the internet for a product that had all of the above and can't see to find anything, does such a thing exist?

I guess what I'm looking for is like a Brennan but with a radio etc. Anyone any suggestions?

Thanks

PS I've seen some things that advertise themselves as 'music streamers' - what exactly do these do? (Beyond the obvious..)

Your budget is? The closest thing would be Arcam's Solo Neo or Naim Uniti...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Richard_235:I've seen some things that advertise themselves as 'music streamers' - what exactly do these do? (Beyond the obvious..)

There's a degree of 'terminological inexactitude' in this market-sector at the moment, but in general terms 'music streamers' store or access content, and are able to stream over a network it to one or more 'streaming clients', which are the units responsible for playing the content, either directly or via a hi-fi system.

As yet I am not aware of any units meeting all of your criteria, but several will do everything you require apart from storing the contet. However, this can be done (depending on the unit) using external storage, be it on a computer, an external local hard-drive (eg a USB drive or iPod plugged into the unit) or a Network Attached Storage device connected to your network router.

A

Anonymous

Thanks.

The hard drive is the most important thing really. I have an Arcam Solo but sick of rooting through my CDs to find stuff. Not really interested in streaming online content but would be a handy option to have.

Budget would be anything upto £1500.

manicm

If you're not interested in streaming I would get something with a built-in digital iPod dock i.e. like Naim's UnitiQute - within your 1500 alley. But, and I don't care what others say here, rip in WAV and not ALAC - (I would have said AIFF but the Qute's dock does not support it yet). You will lose album art but in the short term you won't care. Andrew has confirmed the iPod sound quality this way.

The Qute also supports hi-res audio throught its USB - fine if you don't have a largish hi-res library, in which case streaming would be the way.

Must your 1500 budget include speakers?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Although the UnitiQute doesn't have a built-in iPod dock, it can take digital signal from an iPod/iPhone/iPad via its USB input, using a conventional Apple dock cable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts