Music lacks middle and warmth

Hi guys.

So, I finally got my first TT an used Rega P3-24 with the Bias2 pickup and TT-PSU. It's in really good shape. I'm really happy with it, though un my current setup I'm lacking middle and warmth in the music. So, I was wondering if you guys have any ideas on how to get more middle and warmth? Are there any cheap solutions or is it a replacement of one of the units?

My setup consists of the Sony hi-res HAP-S1 audio player and the matching SS-HA1 speakers. Reviews say that it produces a really good sound, but the only thing lacking is some middle and warmth. However, I'm not planning on chaning my stereo setup in the nearest feature. Is it possible to change the focus of frequencies in tone control in order to create more warmth, is it the pickup or something else?

My RIAA is currently a cheap one for around 60 dollars.

Looking forward to hear your ideas. Thank you!

Mathias

Mathias Frøslev said:
Hi guys.

So, I finally got my first TT an used Rega P3-24 with the Bias2 pickup and TT-PSU. It's in really good shape. I'm really happy with it, though un my current setup I'm lacking middle and warmth in the music. So, I was wondering if you guys have any ideas on how to get more middle and warmth? Are there any cheap solutions or is it a replacement of one of the units?

My setup consists of the Sony hi-res HAP-S1 audio player and the matching SS-HA1 speakers. Reviews say that it produces a really good sound, but the only thing lacking is some middle and warmth. However, I'm not planning on chaning my stereo setup in the nearest feature. Is it possible to change the focus of frequencies in tone control in order to create more warmth, is it the pickup or something else?

My RIAA is currently a cheap one for around 60 dollars.

Looking forward to hear your ideas. Thank you!

Mathias

Hi Mathias,

Without actually hearing your system I would guess that it's your cheap phono preamp that is showing up inadequacies in your cartridge. I never got on with those cheaper Rega cartridges. Perhaps a cartridge change is the way to go, start at the source and all that. Upgrading your RIAA is also an option.

Is it just vinyl that has this lack of middle / warmth?

Thank you for your reply.

Which catridges would you suggest, if the focus is on getting more middle and warmth from the instruments in the music, that will fit the p3-24?

Another question, would a phono stage with tube amplifier like the pro-ject tube box change the sound in the right direction or is the tubes just a gimmick?

I will compare the sound from my TT and hi-res audio files when I get home and will get back to you.

Which catridges would you suggest, if the focus is on getting more middle and warmth from the instruments in the music, that will fit the p3-24?

Another question, would a phono stage with tube amplifier like the pro-ject tube box change the sound in the right direction or is the tubes just a gimmick?

I will compare the sound from my TT and hi-res audio files when I get home and will get back to you.

Mathias Frøslev said:

To be honest they quality of a valve based phono preamp at this price level are best avoided. Start with the cartridge itself would be my advise.

Valves do not necessarily mean 'warm'.

How much is your budget for a cartridge.?

Ok. Makes sense.

At the moment I don't have a budget as I've just got my TT. So whatever might be the best I'm willing to save for in order to get. But I would guess that there would be a limit on the price for a cartridge suitable for a p3?

So, I would be glad to hear your suggestions on catridges whatever the price might be.

Thanks.

Mathias Frøslev said:
Ok. Makes sense.

At the moment I don't have a budget as I've just got my TT. So whatever might be the best I'm willing to save for in order to get. But I would guess that there would be a limit on the price for a cartridge suitable for a p3?

So, I would be glad to hear your suggestions on catridges whatever the price might be.

Thanks.

You might be surprised at what quality of cartridge that RB tonearm can take, however, keeping it realistic I might suggest one of the Nagaoka range of cartridges or the Audio Technica AT440 mlb, or the Shure M97ex. Either would be an improvement.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
Mathias Frøslev said:
Ok. Makes sense.

Thanks.

You might be surprised at what quality of cartridge that RB tonearm can take, however, keeping it realistic I might suggest one of the Nagaoka range of cartridges or the Audio Technica AT440 mlb, or the Shure M97ex. Either would be an improvement.

For a phono stage with valve warmness then I can personally recomend the Lehmann Black Cube. I bought the Black Cube SE and really and honestly love it to bits.

Sorry for the late answer.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I've experienced a lot of hype about the Nagaoka carts for p3. However, I was at a store (Denmark) where they advised me to stay at a price about 225-300 USD for a cart. They specifically advised me to take the Grado Prestige Red1, because it should deliver what I needed. Furthermore they advised me to borrow the Pro-ject Tube amp and a Croft Riaa, when I have played 100 hours of music on the Grado cart. All with the purpose to get the warmth/dissappear into the music as it was live. Do you know about these products? And would you say it's a good buy?

So many thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I've experienced a lot of hype about the Nagaoka carts for p3. However, I was at a store (Denmark) where they advised me to stay at a price about 225-300 USD for a cart. They specifically advised me to take the Grado Prestige Red1, because it should deliver what I needed. Furthermore they advised me to borrow the Pro-ject Tube amp and a Croft Riaa, when I have played 100 hours of music on the Grado cart. All with the purpose to get the warmth/dissappear into the music as it was live. Do you know about these products? And would you say it's a good buy?

So many thanks.

Mathias Frøslev said:

So many thanks.

I guess they would if they want you to buy all those extras. Do they happen to stock them?

I should say that I told them that I was looking into an upgrade and then they told me to start with a cart and then a riaa.
Furthermore they told me that i should only consider the riaa after I had upgraded the cart and have played it in. Notice that they also suggested that I should only borrow both riaa's without any payment before I decided to buy any of them, so it was really a proffesional service. They are also known as being really professional, as we do not have many stores in Denmark which specializes in TT's.

But I would like your opinion of the products if you have any knowledge on them. :)

Mathias Frøslev said:
I should say that I told them that I was looking into an upgrade and then they told me to start with a cart and then a riaa. Furthermore they told me that i should only consider the riaa after I had upgraded the cart and have played it in. Notice that they also suggested that I should only borrow both riaa's without any payment before I decided to buy any of them, so it was really a proffesional service. They are also known as being really professional, as we do not have many stores in Denmark which specializes in TT's.

But I would like your opinion of the products if you have any knowledge on them. :)

In that case I understand the suggestion for the phono preamplifiers. I forgot exactly what you were trying to attach the turntable to, my apologies. The HAP-S1 is not designed to have a turntable attached directly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts