Music in my new shop

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi Guys

I run a internet outdoor clothing and equipment shop and I am opening a high street retail unit. How important is Music in a shop and should I put some effort into putting a decent set up in or does nobody care?

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Me & my two mates went to play snooker in the snooker hall today and the music in the background was metallica, it didn't bother me and my freind but my other freind wasn't happy about the music and complained to us after an hour.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Unless my memory is playing tricks, certain music causes people to buy more. :bounce:

Put in a reasonable system, and don't play s-h-i t-e! ;)

Paul.

If you are having fitting areas I would consider it, boot fitting etc can take a while. Can't say I remember hearing music in Snow + Rock or Cotswolds though, and I didn't think that was a bad thing. If I was waiting for help in a busy store and I didn't like the music it may be enough to push me out the door :) Don't forget your PRS.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
kmlav said:
Hi Guys

I run a internet outdoor clothing and equipment shop and I am opening a high street retail unit. How important is Music in a shop and should I put some effort into putting a decent set up in or does nobody care?

So rucksacks, thick woolly socks, walking boots, waterproof jackets, tents and the like? I imagine that means a multi-generational customer base from kids to pensioners. (Unlike clothing shops that cater exclusively to a particular age-group.)

So, when you have a shop full of customers (and I do wish you many of those), you are probably going to be p#####g off at least some of them at any given time with music they hate.

I also think it's going to cost you to play music in a public / retail space.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
kmlav said:
Hi Guys

Make sure you pay your fees to the Recording Rights Society.

Oooops, Sorry Paul.... :cheers:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Most importantly, It depends on which age group you wish to get in your shop.
I could bang on about what music helped sales when I was working at Our Price, but I don't think that would be relevant to your shop.
The only shop I go to where I have noticed that I actually like most of the music they play is TK Maxx.

Edit. Should have read your post properly. Good music is a good thing in shops, bad music is a bad thing. I wouldn't go over the top on system, as the music really shouldn't be played so loud.

D

Deleted member 2457

CnoEvil said:
Unless my memory is playing tricks, certain music causes people to buy more. :bounce: Put in a reasonable system, and don't play s-h-i t-e! ;)

Yep, it is well know that people play music to get people to buy stuff. Probably just radio stuff will do. Can't stand dance, garage or house music, it gives me a headache!

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
you guys have basically summed up my debate on this. Whatever music I play I run the risk of someone not liking but on the other hand with no music the atmosphere can seem a bit flat.

I dont think I would put anything as divisive as Metalica , would probably just play Linn Radio.

For the set up im thinking about the wireless KEF X300's so I will be able to stream from the shop Mac without the need for amps and cables etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts