Music Hall MMF 1.5

mjohnp

Jan 27, 2022
Visit site
Help needed please in the USA . Bought this floor model turntable without paper work. For those familiar, it has a switch, line in, line out. It also has a dc plug in adapter that , I guess, converts to ac to plug in the wall. I have it hooked up to a Sony receiver. I played an album on it, turned it off and when I went to play it again it took 10 minutes and a lot of button pushing and somehow it worked again.
Came back a day later and the same thing. Took a long time to play???? Now it won't play at all. Any advice would be much appreciated as I have a 3rd grade education when it comes to Hi Fi stuff.
Thanks,
Marshall

Need to know exactly how you have it hooked up to that receiver and whether or not it has a built-in phono stage.
If you go to this website and scroll down you can download the manual for your turntable.

mjohnp

Jan 27, 2022
Visit site
Thank You. I'm not sure what a phono stage is and I'll check when I get home from work to see how I have it hooked up to the receiver. I'll be back. Thanks again

mjohnp

Jan 27, 2022
Visit site
Here is my receiver and my hook up. Again, I am illiterate when it comes to this. I am also considering a new receiver or amplifier that will work (looking for used under 200). I appreciate all your help. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_4697[1].JPG
    IMG_4697[1].JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4698[1].JPG
    IMG_4698[1].JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4699[1].JPG
    IMG_4699[1].JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4700[1].JPG
    IMG_4700[1].JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 10
I cannot quite make out from those photos which sockets your turntable is connected to, what else do you have attached to that receiver?
what is the model number?
I would guess it doesn't have an inbuilt phono stage so your turntable needs to be switched to a position where the turntables phono stage is in operation.

mjohnp

Jan 27, 2022
Visit site
I'll get you more answers later today (at work). The turntable as a switch, either phono or line. Not sure what line means? The turntable is connected to the receiver . The receiver has inputs for CD, MD, DVD/LD, Video 1 and Video 2 . I believe the only place the phono works is plugged into the MD. The Sony model is STR-DE485.
Again, the weird part is it works sometimes, and then it doesn't work?
Also if you can recommend any upgrade that would work I'd appreciate it. Thanks for all your help
Marshall

I'll get you more answers later today (at work). The turntable as a switch, either phono or line. Not sure what line means? The turntable is connected to the receiver . The receiver has inputs for CD, MD, DVD/LD, Video 1 and Video 2 . I believe the only place the phono works is plugged into the MD. The Sony model is STR-DE485.
Again, the weird part is it works sometimes, and then it doesn't work?
Also if you can recommend any upgrade that would work I'd appreciate it. Thanks for all your help
Marshall
try a different input on the receiver. The one marked CD In will be fine as they are all what are called line level sockets, then select CD as the input on your receiver.
If you download and read that instruction manual link I sent you you will see the switch on the back of the turntable needs to be set to 'Line '

The phono does not indicate power no matter which inputs I use? UGH
What do you mean by “phono”?

Re-reading your first post and it looks like the turntable isn’t actually functioning. When you attempt to play a record, does the turntable platter rotate? If it does, then does the arm lower into position and play the record? Do you get any sound via the receiver and speakers?

You need to be very precise if we are going to help at this distance! Why not just take it back to the shop?

mjohnp

Jan 27, 2022
Visit site
Here is as precise as I can get.
The turntable spun and worked. I played 1 vinyl and shut it off.
I went back to play it several days later and I tried everything to get it to play. I checked the outlet, the breaker, I switched inputs to the receiver and after 10 different attempts, it played. I shut it off and tried to play another album and it would not spin. Since there is no light indication on the turntable regardless if it is on or off, I'm not sure what the issue is.
I bought this from a small warehouse stereo shop about 1 1/2 hours where I live and it was a display model. I bought it on sale and it's been about 2 months until I got around to hook it up. Other life issues got in the way.
I can take it to a stereo shop but I was trying to save a ton of money. Apparently that is what I'll end up doing. Thanks for your effort.
Marshall

Help needed please in the USA . Bought this floor model turntable without paper work. For those familiar, it has a switch, line in, line out. It also has a dc plug in adapter that , I guess, converts to ac to plug in the wall. I have it hooked up to a Sony receiver. I played an album on it, turned it off and when I went to play it again it took 10 minutes and a lot of button pushing and somehow it worked again.
Came back a day later and the same thing. Took a long time to play???? Now it won't play at all. Any advice would be much appreciated as I have a 3rd grade education when it comes to Hi Fi stuff.
Thanks,
Marshall
ClearAudio carts. Worth checking out.

After checking motor and belt I suggest you then look into where that power adapter plugs into the turntable, is it fitted securely? , then trace power back to the socket. You have power getting to the socket on the wall right?
On another matter I
I would seriously consider cutting those speaker cable wires shorter. They have too much bare wire exposed and could short out of they touch each other......

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts