Music fidelity A1 or B200/Celestion ditton 44s! Ok?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello

Just wanted an opinion as to amps to use with my ditton 44's. Currently have an old JVC RS-7 and was looking to upgrade.

Any ideas on the MF A1, B1 or B200?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

These are all pretty low power output amps, but the Ditton 44's are very efficient, so can't foresee any issues. My Dad runs an A1 (this the original MF A1 we're talking about here), into a pair of B&W DM602S3's. Sounds very good. Its fully class-a, unlike the B1 and B200, so runs hots, very warm sounding. You can't stack anything on top, mate melted an LP all floppy he left on top! Good amp, but getting on a bit, can suffer from reliablity issues, partly due to age, partly due to hot running.The A1 also has a reasonable MM/MC switchable phono stage.

The B200 is supposed to be very good, all Mosfet amp, same case as A1, but should run much cooler. Not tried one, but always fancied one.

The B1 was a cheaper class a/b amp in the range, think its OK, but no gem, like the A1 or B200.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I have the latest version of the A1 with built-in DAC, which was discontinued in 2008.

Like its predecessors it runs hot but I think it puts out a bit more power at 36 WPC compared to 20 previously. I partner it with Elac BS243 speakers and love the combination - very detailed and warm-sounding. I don't play it loud though - volume is typically 36-38 out of a maximum 100. I haven't tried the DAC yet.

A

Anonymous

BTW Have you found this site: http://www.mhennessy1.f9.co.uk/mf_a1/index.htm that's got loads of info the MF A1 and other amps in the range?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice on that, any suggestions on other amps that would be good with the dittons?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts