Multichannel - Is It worth it?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have an Arcam AVR350 AV receiver and Pioneer PDP507 plasma. Currently I use Playstation 3 for blu ray. The AVR350 does not decode HDMI but does have multichannel inputs.

Question 1 - Is it worth buying a Blu Ray such as Sony 760 with multi channel outputs ie will the difference in sound be worth the outlay?

Question 2 – If using multi channel outputs for HD audio is it best to stick with this for all formats or do I revert to a digital output for non HD such as 5.1 and DTS and let the Arcam perform the decoding?

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Is it worth it? Certainly. Instead of the Sony you could try the Panasonic BD80.

I tend to use the Multi channel outs for DVD as well, but you could use the digital outs if you wish.

Try both methods and see which you prefer.

A

Anonymous

but most amps when using multichannel in, will bypass any eq , so maybe the digital connection would be better for the non-hd formats.

scene

Well, I have an Arcam AVR250 and a Pioneer KRP500A. I bought a Sony BDP-S760 and am planning to use the m/c analogue outs to feed the Arcam. The downside is the large number of Analogue interconnects required - four pairs! (I'm getting them via fleabay and have 3/4... so only 5.1 for the moment - watch this space...)

I definitely think it is worth it. I really don't want to get rid of my (recently repaired) arcam amp as it sounds great with music. I'm still using my DV79 to feed it CDs - I haven't tried the Sony for this. I suspect that this is the better configuration, as I think the Wolfson DACs on the Arcam beat the Sony ones (I am planning to confirm this by trial). If I was buying now, I might be tempted to wait for the new BDP-S770, not for the 3D, but for the SACD support (allegedly) and the lower cost.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts