Multichannel analogue or HDMI for audio???

iainl2005

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
I am in the process of purchasing the Primare BD32 player and Primare SPA23, and was curious to find out what would be the best option for playing audio for movies, multichannel analogue or through a top quality HDMI cable. There seem to be lot’s of conflicting arguments online regarding this issue, does anyone have Primare and have they any feedback on this.

Many thanks in advance.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Agree you should experiment, although my first thought would be multichannel analogue. That's really what you're paying for in such an expensive BDP.

Either way, no need for an expensive HDMI cable, any decent quality one will pass the same information.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm. The virtue of buying an expensive Blu-Ray player is that its digital to analogue conversion circuitry will be better than the DAC of a cheaper player, and is also likely to be better than the DAC within the amplifier which will receive the digital HDMI signal. I'm lucky in that I have three systems that I've tried the comparison between multichannel analogue or HDMI audio, using connecting cables of similar quality. I know this may sound heretical particularly with the cost and quality my Denon Blu-Ray player in the parlour and the Oppo Blu-Ray player in the kitchen, but I probably prefer the HDMI sound to the multichannel sound. I think that there is a bit more bass using the HDMI connector. There's not a lot in it though. This also applies to the much cheaper Panasonic BD80 player in my bedroom. Certainly borrow some cables to experiment with, and it so happens that the HDMI option is much cheaper than similar standard multichannel connections, for which you would have to buy either three or four pairs of connectors depending on whether your player had 5.1 or 7.1 outputs.

felty99

Jul 31, 2001
Visit site
iainl2005 said:
I am in the process of purchasing the Primare BD32 player and Primare SPA23.

I agree with others the only way to test this is by doing the comparison yourself. Were you not able to audition both machines together before buying? THat is a serious outlay without demoing at home.

I would understand buying the SPA23 as the heart of a home theatre system especially if I had a lot of digital sources (Sky, PS3, Blu-ray) but not if I was only interested in using it to play Blu-rays and/or (SA)CDs. In that case I would buy the BD32 with a cheap processor such as the Audiolab 8200AP, or a second-hand legacy processor with 7.1 MCH inputs (e.g. Arcam AV9, Tag McLaren etc).

The BD32 through MCH analogue outputs is the finest sounding disc player I have listened to in my system, but I couldn't justify the price tag.

Let us know how you get on.

felty99

Jul 31, 2001
Visit site
iainl2005 said:
I am in the process of purchasing the Primare BD32 player and Primare SPA23.

I agree with others the only way to test this is by doing the comparison yourself. Were you not able to audition both machines together before buying? THat is a serious outlay without demoing at home.

I would understand buying the SPA23 as the heart of a home theatre system especially if I had a lot of digital sources (Sky, PS3, Blu-ray) but not if I was only interested in using it to play Blu-rays and/or (SA)CDs. In that case I would buy the BD32 with a cheap processor such as the Audiolab 8200AP, or a second-hand legacy processor with 7.1 MCH inputs (e.g. Arcam AV9, Tag McLaren etc).

The BD32 through MCH analogue outputs is the finest sounding disc player I have listened to in my system, but I couldn't justify the price tag.

Let us know how you get on.

iainl2005

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Felty,

I didnt get a chance to audition both together, I purchased the SPA23 on the back of listening to the SPA22 on a demo... the BD32 from glowing reviews on the web and in publications. The amp will be used for Xbox, PS4, Wii U as well as Blu-ray.

Did you manage to do a comparison between HDMI and MCH analogue outputs when you listened to the BD32?

I’ll let you know how I get on as the amp manages to get here from Sweden... seems to be a slight delay.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts