multi-strand cable for Diamond 9.1 to Rotel a11 Tribute

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

record_spot

I went with 2.5mm cable from a company called Digitalis Direct. Worked a treat and replaced Audioquest Type IV.

Later went with Van Damme before I went over to actives. No major differences but sold off the AQ Type IV eventually.

record_spot

I must agree with Al ears here. The better construction of materials used in the interconnects the more rewarding they will be, and it's true...
Some cables are so expensive they just seem like foobar, but it's not.
I'm not sure how many hours they take sorting this stuff out for us but rest assured £200+ on interconnects will be dream like true experience.
Good interconnects actually need time to maximise out and sound great. On top of that they also look amazing.
Tell me Shay.M, what's not to like.

Futureshop.co.uk QED Signature Audio 40 Cable Pair £163.95

With respect, I've been there and done that with cables for the last twenty years. I'll just pop this in right now, before it comes back at me - my system *is* resolving enough and I have the ears (two favourite pops at the Hoffman forum).

I've had plenty of interconnects over the years. These days, I settle on Fisual Havana or Havana XLs Build quality is excellent and price is good. Before that, I had a multitude of interconnects, from cheapo wires to Chord Chorus and Atlas Navigators, both of which were over £200 apiece. The Fisuals replaced them at the (then) price of about £35 a pair per metre. Never looked back, sound quality excellent. Hence why I use them still. The Chord and Atlas wires were sold on.

See also: mains cables. Tried out a Russ Andrews Powerkord 100 which was about £150 or so. Also a JPS Labs "The Analog" mains cable too (about £400). Later bought some generic cables off Amazon - swapped them around. Played my usual test tracks, and later sold the Powerkord and the JPS cables. Haven't looked back there either, plus was around £250 better off.

Again, with respect, you're entirely welcome to your view, but £200+ on interconnects is money wasted.

Want to tweak the sound? Move your speakers a few inches either way and don't use cables as tone controls.

Reactions: WayneKerr

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Wow what a tangled mess.

Just use 79 strand or similar

With all due respect the system just not worth it to spend hundreds on, though if you need yards yards of it then it is what it is and will be pricy what ever you buy.

Think of it this way, the speakers are built to a price point the cross overs will be made of the cheapest parts they could find, I’m talking pennies per component. And they’re probably using ferrous metals on the binding posts, and the cheapest of the cheap cable. Heck that’s just the electrical stuff, I suspect they’re not braced and not all that well damped a simple knuckle tap will confirm this. Most speakers arnt , even multi thousand pound speakers, this doesn’t just effect budget models.

And that’s just the speakers what’s in the amp?

2 meters of high end speaker cable will not make the slightest bit of difference to the speakers. If you want the it sound better rebuild the crossovers with better parts, brace them and damp them well. Damping alone will bring considerable improvements more so than cable.

Big Take away save your money.

Heck I bet your room and the way you have placed your speakers could use work. Eg are they placed on stands away from from walls? Do you have clean line of sight of them? And so on. All free

Just my 2 cents from a complete stranger

With respect, I've been there and done that with cables for the last twenty years. I'll just pop this in right now, before it comes back at me - my system *is* resolving enough and I have the ears (two favourite pops at the Hoffman forum).

I've had plenty of interconnects over the years. These days, I settle on Fisual Havana or Havana XLs Build quality is excellent and price is good. Before that, I had a multitude of interconnects, from cheapo wires to Chord Chorus and Atlas Navigators, both of which were over £200 apiece. The Fisuals replaced them at the (then) price of about £35 a pair per metre. Never looked back, sound quality excellent. Hence why I use them still. The Chord and Atlas wires were sold on.

See also: mains cables. Tried out a Russ Andrews Powerkord 100 which was about £150 or so. Also a JPS Labs "The Analog" mains cable too (about £400). Later bought some generic cables off Amazon - swapped them around. Played my usual test tracks, and later sold the Powerkord and the JPS cables. Haven't looked back there either, plus was around £250 better off.

Again, with respect, you're entirely welcome to your view, but £200+ on interconnects is money wasted.

Want to tweak the sound? Move your speakers a few inches either way and don't use cables as tone controls.
he isn't asking about interconnects

Reactions: record_spot
Think of it this way, the speakers are built to a price point the cross overs will be made of the cheapest parts they could find, I’m talking pennies per component. And they’re probably using ferrous metals on the binding posts, and the cheapest of the cheap cable. Heck that’s just the electrical stuff, I suspect they’re not braced and not all that well damped a simple knuckle tap will confirm this. Most speakers arnt , even multi thousand pound speakers, this doesn’t just effect budget models.
A lot of generalisations and suppositions there.

Reactions: Al ears

abacus

Wow what a tangled mess.

Just use 79 strand or similar

With all due respect the system just not worth it to spend hundreds on, though if you need yards yards of it then it is what it is and will be pricy what ever you buy.

And that’s just the speakers what’s in the amp?

2 meters of high end speaker cable will not make the slightest bit of difference to the speakers. If you want the it sound better rebuild the crossovers with better parts, brace them and damp them well. Damping alone will bring considerable improvements more so than cable.

Big Take away save your money.

Heck I bet your room and the way you have placed your speakers could use work. Eg are they placed on stands away from from walls? Do you have clean line of sight of them? And so on. All free

Just my 2 cents from a complete stranger

Somebody's been viewing GR Research videos, which when it comes to speaker upgrades are excellent, it s just a pity he has jumped on the cable (And accessories) bandwagon to get more views rather than sticking to facts.

Bill

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Somebody's been viewing GR Research videos, which when it comes to speaker upgrades are excellent, it s just a pity he has jumped on the cable (And accessories) bandwagon to get more views rather than sticking to facts.

Bill

You've got me though i haven't watched them in a long long time! his measurements don't lie though, he may even have an upgrade kit for the Wharfedale's, money far better spent if you ask me. As with all companies, the markup is with cables, easy money and no real work on his part like there is with the upgrade kits. Back in the day we made the most profit from selling scart cables with DVD players. We made no real money on the players at all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts