mulit channel audio on receiver from ps3

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi folks, trial running a new ps3 the other day that santa is deliverying on christmas day - hooked up via HDMI to my Denon 3310, i could get Multi Channel output on the indicator when playing games etc. What do I need to set so it sends DTS/Dolby Digital to the Denon? Cheers, Mick

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Mick,

You have to go into the settings on the PS3 for this. Go to the sound settings menu and select audio output settings, you then get a choice of connection...i presume you are using hdmi so select that and then select manual. You then get a list of all the sound settings the PS3 can send to your receiver, if you want the Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks from games and movies as they are on the disc then deselect every Linear PCM option in 5.1 and 7.1 leaving the linear PCM 2 Ch options selected and everything else selected.

You will then get DTS HD Master audio and True HD tracks played as they are on the disc and games will play in the audio encoded on the disc without the PS3 processing the audio first which is why your amp displays multichannel audio, it's an easy fix and won't take long.

Hope that helps.

A

Anonymous

The setting you need is under video settings. BD/DVD Audio output format. The choice is bitstream or PCM.

It doesn't matter really though, but if you select bitstream the AV receiver will show up the relevant format.

*edit. I would leave the settings as mentioned above by oldboy set to automatic.

A

Anonymous

Finally set up my first proper 5.1 system with the Onkyo 509 and Tannoy 101's just to find that my older PS3 doesn't support bitstream of HD encoded audio. Is it worth the upgrade of the newer PS3 slim to bitsream the audio rather than letting the PS3 decode. I have a few games that use DTS HD and I use it for Blu-ray for now until I take the plunge to spend on a dedicated player. I won't be needing a large Hard Drive version since I've already put a 500GB in the old PS3 so a 160 version would be plenty so I could rip that out to put my music on for the Onkyo's USB.

Many Thanks

Neil

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
in theory it shouldnt make any difference if the ps3 is decoding the audio and sending it PCM to the receiver or the receiver is doing the decoding.. to be honest its probably not worth the upgade of the ps3 - you might be better off picking up a cheap blu-ray standalone player.. most will bitsream the HD audio and you can buy very cheap secondhand now.. some of last years models etc.. it is nice to see those lights light up on the receiver though :) DTS HD etc..

A

Anonymous

Cheers Mick,

I'll have to concur, I can't even justify spending on a new PS3 let alone the missus, although it does get really noisey and I would love to see those pretty lights on whilst I have time to look tearing down the straights on F1. Plus I could hook the old PS3 up for my 3 year old with the copies of his DVD's so I wouldn't have to watch Toy Story several times a night.

Think I've pursuaded myself to get both, just noticed some players with MKV and SACD support which will be handy so i'll be waiting to see what the sales offer before I decide.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts