MS902i to MA BX2 - worthwhile upgrade?

Cass

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I'm looking to replace my Mordaunt Short MS902i speakers, as I think they're a weak point in my system (Marantz CD6002 CDP, NAD C326BEE amp). I find bass woolly and mids/highs can be harsh, especially at higher volume. I don't want to spend more than £300 so the MA BX2 looks an ideal choice – high sensitivity, front-ported (to hopefully tame the NAD's ample bass when close to a rear wall), a good price and wife-friendly looks. I also like that fact that they're a fairly big speaker for a standmount, as the room is quite large and I'd be concerned that small speakers would struggle to fill it. However, I'm wondering if that would really be a worthwhile upgrade. I recall that the BX2's predecessor, the BR2, was actually beaten in a WHF group test by the 902i – so it seems odd to "upgrade" to a newer version of a speaker that was considered inferior to my current ones. Any thoughts? Do I need to up the budget a bit to get a worthwhile upgrade on what I currently have?

A

Anonymous

I have some 902s both the original, and the 902 signature. I think they are great speakers for the price, and I would certainly make sure you compare the 2 before you part with your cash.

matthewpiano

I still have a pair of 902i Avants tucked away and I'm using BX2s at present. The Avants were excellent in their day but I feel budget speakers have improved quite a lot and the BX2s are quite a bit better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts