MS Aviano 1 Marantz PM6004. Good combination?

Pagmed

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello! I'm in the process of acquiring a pair of standmounted speakers for a Marantz PM/CD 6004. I was using Monitor Audio BX5's but have moved them to my Home Theater setup. Very intrigued by the MS Aviano 1's, as I can get them at a significant discount online( can't audition them). Has anyone here tried these with the Marantz? Thanks in advance.

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I have, and I found they sounded OK to me, though my hearing isn't as hifi as it used to be. I used them in room 12x18ft carpeted. i had to use them fairly close to a wall but away from corners. I used them with the volume control around the 9 O'Clock position. To be honest any higher and they became somewhat tiring to listen to. Not sure if that's the amp though, as I find the same with my old Heybrook HB2's that I now have connected to the Marantz.

The Aviano's are now in the spare room on my old A&R A60, and I feel they perform very similarly with it as they did with the Marantz.

I'm wondering if I should try some KEF Q100 or 300 with the Marantz as they seemed to get recommended.

If you are listening off axis as I do quite often, then the Mordaunts don't seem to do well in that area.

Pagmed

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for a very informative post sir. Per your words, I think i'll take a look to other speakers. Maybe the MA's BX2's or the Wharfedale 10.1's. I'm seeking a neutral speaker with well behaved highs. Thanks again.

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
The Avianos are not unpleasant to listen to at moderate listening volume, in fact I'm listening right now to them on my A&R using Classic FM as source, volume just below 9 O'clock and the sound is quite pleasant. Being a smallish speaker they don't have lots of bass but I prefer mid frequency and upper frequency detail anyway. They are certainly not a 'bad' speaker but I'm sure there are better to be had. I bought them unauditioned from a Richer sounds store that didn't have any demo facilities on the understanding I could return them if I didn't like them. That was 2 years ago. So I certainly didn't hate them. I sometimes have a swap over with the Heybrooks but can't decide which I prefer where!

Currently I have them in a spare room which is quite small and I feel they are probably best suited to this room the Heybrooks are a bit bigger and visually dominate the room plus the Mordaunts sound better so I suppose room size has a bearing too.

The Avianos are in no way bad speakers but I think you may get better sound with something else. Be interesting to hear how other people find the Avianos, as they were quite highly rated by WhatHiFi review.

Pagmed

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm in a bit of dilemma myself, as I need a two wsy speaker with at least 90db sensitivity and preferably 8ohm. I find the Marantz is not suitable for three way/floorstanders even if they are reasonably sensitive. My BX5's never sounded as they are now with a 90watts AVR, even if it is not as refined as the Marantz. I would also prefer a speaker with a soft dome tweeter. Metal drivers although more detailed in general eventually lead to some fatigue. Budget hi fi choices are limited by definition and in my country even more as there are not much choices among them. Thanks!

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I have owned quite a few mordaunt shorts and honestly their tweeters from the avant and aviano series are a bit of love or hate, I find them too metallic. If you are after MS's then I would go for the Mezzo range. Alternatively, though they might be a bit out of budget but the Dynaudio Dm 2/6s are amazing and have all of the plusses of the Aviano less the brightness, you could also have a look at Q acousitcs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts