MP3 or AAC for streaming from Revo Mondo wifi radio?

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I guess it's AAC, as the display shows that it's got more Kbs than MP3? As our FM signal is very poor here, I've been forced into getting one of these reasonably priced devices to listen to Radio 3 on my hifi. Is this the highest quality stream I can get or are there other devices or methods I should try? Any comments, suggestions or advice much appreciated as I'm new to this whole area of streaming/internet radio or whatever it's called! ;)

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I think the standard Radio 3 internet stream that you are using is 192kbs. The Radio 3 HD stream is 320kbs - you could pick this up via a netbook or laptop. For best quality, use a stand-alone DAC with the laptop (e.g. DacMagic).

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Noogle. The Revo's displaying 328Kbs for Radio 3 (using AAC), so I guess that's as good as it gets? Although I sometimes use my netbook to play FLAC files, connected to the DAC (Audiolab 8200CD) via USB, I prefer not use it for radio; it seems a bit of a faff on a daily basis to fetch it from another room, wait for it to boot up etc. etc.

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you've got the R3 HD stream (although I'm surprised it doesn't say HD). The gotcha in your current setup is that you're using the Revo Mondo's built-in DAC, which probably isn't very high quality. Might be worth trying out the laptop and Audiolab DAC just to see if it sounds better. I agree about the faff element with using a PC - I have a PC permanently on and wired into my system.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I've just done a quick comparison, and can't really hear any discernible difference between the Revo and the Audiolab :oops: I'll probably not bother with a more thorough test, as my crummy old laptop is quite noisy so, until I get a new one.........

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
465Kbs streaming on Radio 3 today! It's been working really well since choosing AAC over MP3 option, but there's nowt in the instructions about this, so I've still no idea what the difference is in technical terms. It's all a mystery, trial and error, and no help at all from the manufacturers, suppliers, or the so-called instructions. :wall:

(this refers to my internet purchase; had I bought from a human I could at least visit the store and ask them. Although in practice I've often found store staff to know less than I do after 10 mins 'research' on t'internet!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts