Moving my FLAC files ?? help please

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
At present i use DB Poweramp to rip my CDs to FLAC format. This is stored on my NAS drive for use with the CLIC.

I am now keen to get these files on to some form of portable player for use when I am on the move. I apologise for my very basic knowledge of this.

I have an ipod and could possibly use this, but there is over 7000 tracks stored on this via my I tunes library. Does this mean that i cant use this I pad to play my FLAC files.

First question. is there a way to use my Ipod with my FLAC files already stored on my NAS, or would I need to get a new portable device like the new Sony one. I am keen to increase the sound quality of my portable music.

It would be good if i could copy my CD using DB Poweramp, and then use these FLAC files for all my formats. Is this possible.

Any help apprecaiated.

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
As far as i'm aware i-pods and i-Tunes don't recognise FLAC file format I think you have to uses Apple's proprietary ALAC format for lossless files. The only problem is lossless files are much bigger than the compressed files you probably have on your i-pod and you would fill up you i-pod pretty quickly. If you want to use your i-pod then I think the only way would be to convert any of your FLAC files to something like 320kb MP3 files using your favourite software e.g foobar, though I expect you can do that with the software you currently use, and importing them into i-tunes. Not sure about the Sony player sorry

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
mikeparker59 said:
As far as i'm aware i-pods and i-Tunes don't recognise FLAC file format I think you have to uses Apple's proprietary ALAC format for lossless files. The only problem is lossless files are much bigger than the compressed files you probably have on your i-pod and you would fill up you i-pod pretty quickly. If you want to use your i-pod then I think the only way would be to convert any of your FLAC files to something like 320kb MP3 files using your favourite software e.g foobar, though I expect you can do that with the software you currently use, and importing them into i-tunes. Not sure about the Sony player sorry

Thanks for the reply. I know I can rip to i tunes usling lossless files, but I am really trying to create a situation where I only have to rip my CDs once. i use FLAC at present and I suppose then that I cant use my I pod for this. I guess I need another portable player then.

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
You mentioned Sony. is this the player you were looking at? http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/hd-walkman-digital-music-players/nwz-zx1

see it does support FLAC but only has 128GB storage. I keep all my FLACs in one place and they take up 76GB for 2273 files which would suggest the 128GB of the Sony would store about 3800 odd files. I have a mixture of 16bit and 24 bit FLAC files, so this figure can only be a rough guide. I also have a mixture of Classical and contemporary music so some files will be much bigger than others but you get some idea of how many files you'd be able to get on the Sony

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Even if you find another portable player, it's going to need a large storage capacity for lossless files of any format.

I use dBPowerAmp to convert my already ripped FLAC files to mp3 for playback on my iPhone. I don't necessarily think you'd notice a lot of difference between a good mp3 rip compared to lossless if you're are using budget/mid-price headphones or listening through a car stereo. If you're going to connect your portable device to a decent amp & speakers, or use good headphones, then it has to be lossless.

Convert one of your FLAC files to a 256 VBR mp3 using dBPowerAmp using the Lame encoder and give it a try. It must be Lame, other mp3 encoders don't produce the results. I prefer Lame mp3's to mp4 when I need compressed music.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
The storage capacity wont really be a problem as I would be happy to just have a few albums on my portable player.

I tend to play my new music when i am out and about amyway, so say five or six albums at a time.

Its laziness too, I want to be able to just use the FLAC files I have ripped ......looking at the Filo X3. Its only 8gb, but Filo do have a good reputeion for their headphone amps. They are also bringiing out an X5 in April I think which will have 128gb storage.

I have some decent headphones I use for my ipod. the Yamaha HP300 PRO, this is why I am thinking lossless is the way to go.

I pod on its last legs as about 8 years old now

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Womaz said:
looking at the Filo X3. Its only 8gb

According to various reviews I've read, including this one linked to from here in a previous thread, the X3 has a micro SD slot to accept cards of up to 64GB to expand its storage capcity.

Thanks for that, excellent review. I am very tempted although the idea of messing about with SD cards does not appeal I admit. I might wait for the X5 ....although its about £130 more.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
From what I read, sounds like you can put in the microSD card and forget it: the player effectvely just becomes one with a larger memory, and you use it as usual, drag'n'dropping music to it via its USB connection.

But yes, the X5 does look interesting – must try to find a way to get a listen to these things, as reading the reviews has got me itching to buy one to replace an old iPod

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
spiny norman said:
From what I read, sounds like you can put in the microSD card and forget it: the player effectvely just becomes one with a larger memory, and you use it as usual, drag'n'dropping music to it via its USB connection.

But yes, the X5 does look interesting – must try to find a way to get a listen to these things, as reading the reviews has got me itching to buy one to replace an old iPod

My apologies for leading you astray :)

As an experiment I have just ripped Lorde CD to apple lossless and the usual AAC in itunes and listened through my Yamaha headphones. Bind test too as dragged the daughter into my geeky world. The difference on my I pod was startling. Now wondering do i need an alternate portable or do i just rip my CDs to apple lossless instead........I was close to making the Filo X3 purchase too. maybe I just like to procastrinate :wall:

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
dBpoweramp has a plugin to allow ripping to multiple formats at the same time. I do a FLAC and an MP3 for portable use.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/help/Codec/[Multi%20Encoder]/help.htm

I use FLAC for archiving purposes mainly. I have yet to meet anyone who can tell a 320 Kbps MP3 from a FLAC.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

The main reason I am doing this is to look for a portable player with better sound quality.

Maybe I can use my I pod and use apple lossless . It's certainly a big improvement on the AAC files I rip to at present.

The new Filo X5 is out in April so I might see what this offers. Sorry for my lack of knowledge if formats 320kbs? Not even sure I I'll have any music in that format

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if you can take anything from the way I do it. All my files are stored via iTunes as Apple Lossless. On my iPhone, sometimes I use iTunes Match (which would be better called iTunes misMatch IMO...different topic for a different day) but mostly I sync batches of albums to it from my main library as 256k AAC using the option in iTunes to convert to a lower-res format on the fly while it syncs:

ku-xlarge.jpg

...then when I get fed up of hearing them I delete them and re-sync a new batch. I don't even try to host all my albums on my phone; even as 256k AAC, they take far too much memory. Best to just sync what you need on the fly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts