Moved furniture around to make it sound better. It now sounds worse!!! :-(

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I now have my system firing aross the short length of the room, across a carpeted area, into a thick cotton futon and a glass wall covered with curtains. It now sounds worse.

Not sure whether it's the TV unit that's now between the speakers that's to blame or the fact that to the left of the left speaker, I have a hardwood surface, where previously I used to have a sofa (which I 've now moved across to the glass wall opposite o the speakers).

Problem is, it looks a lot more aesthetically pleasing than it used to, but now sounds not so good. :-(

--------------------------------
<sofa> |
|
|
l..tv..r bs|
-------------------------------

curtains behind sofa

carpet between sofa and system (l = left speaker, r = right speaker, tv = tv unit, bs = bookshelf housing electronics)

Hardwood floor in other areas.

grrrh!!!

How does it sound? Sounds ok at low volumes, not so good at higher volumnes. I guess I'm somehow trying to cordone of this area so it sound good. Looks like an impossible task to me.

DavieCee:

As far as I know HiFi's usually sound better firing up the length of the room. Could be wrong.

Put it back?
emotion-5.gif

Generally speaking, you're right - nevertheless, mine fires across the narrow side and it sounds fine.

MoData:

I now have my system firing aross the short length of the room, across a carpeted area, into a thick cotton futon and a glass wall covered with curtains. It now sounds worse.

Not sure whether it's the TV unit that's now between the speakers that's to blame or the fact that to the left of the left speaker, I have a hardwood surface, where previously I used to have a sofa (which I 've now moved across to the glass wall opposite o the speakers).

Problem is, it looks a lot more aesthetically pleasing than it used to, but now sounds not so good. :-(

--------------------------------
<sofa> |
|
|
l..tv..r bs|
-------------------------------

curtains behind sofa

carpet between sofa and system (l = left speaker, r = right speaker, tv = tv unit, bs = bookshelf housing electronics)

Hardwood floor in other areas.

grrrh!!!

How does it sound? Sounds ok at low volumes, not so good at higher volumnes. I guess I'm somehow trying to cordone of this area so it sound good. Looks like an impossible task to me.

As the previous poster says: Move it all back!

That said it can take a while to adjust to the different sound. If not happy after a couple of days then....

A

Anonymous

Here's the issue: It took a lot of convincing to the wife to let me move stuff around in the first place. And now it even looks better. Moving it back? easier said than done.

Maybe I'll just sacrifice using the hifi system with my tv, and place the speakers back in their original position and leave everything as is.

Let's see what that does.

Tonestar1

Dont move it back, Leave it as is for three months, never be quite happy with the sound. Moan about it a bit on the forums and ask for suggestions how to improve it. Set yourself a 1k budget. Go on the forums asking about speakers, amp, source and even possibly some cable suggestions. Then move it all back. You will have saved yourself a grand.

And also cured one itch of upgraditis. Happy days.

Too add to that by the time the three months is up your wife will no doubt want a new furniture configuration anyway so just makes sure it seems like she had planned it to go back exactly the same was it was at optimal listening position,

A

Anonymous

Since it didn't sound that great to start with, I might just get the Rega Mira instead of the NaitXS. I still won't be entirely happy, but will have saved $$$. :)

As it stands, the NaitXS is still back ordered and won't be here for another 3 weeks. I'll be returning the demo NaitXS sometime this week.

A

Anonymous

Moved it back. Sounds better. Speakers burning in. sounds better.

A

Anonymous

MoData:Moved it back. Sounds better. Speakers burning in. sounds better.But how does the washing machine sound now??

A

Anonymous

Grottyash:MoData:Moved it back. Sounds better. Speakers burning in. sounds better.But how does the washing machine sound now??

Sounds the same. My next 'audiophile' upgrade will be a silent dishwasher and washing machine. Probably best bang for your buck.

A

Anonymous

shooter69:Have you tried swapping the speakers over, the side firing bass unit's could have an effect.

Yes. Twice a day.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts