Most musical - Yamaha Z7 or Pioneer LX82

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I know the SC-LX82 hasn't been released yet, but I would expect it to more musical than the Yamaha DSP-Z7. What are other's opinions (just in case the Arcam AVR600 new firmware doesn't work)?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I am not so sure that the LX82 will be as musical as the Z7. It will be a very good no doubt about that and partnered with the correct speakers ( much like the 81 ) should produce great results. The Pioneer sound is quite different to Yamaha and speaker choice /room layout will play an important part in the overall sound. Buying blind you have more chance of getting a great sound with the Yamaha but a demonstration may well favour the Pioneer.

Another amp to consider if you are looking for something musical is the new Harman Kardon AVR760 - it should be out at the same time as the LX82. Judging by the AVR255 adn 355 Harman may have it spot on this year and with aggressive pricing as well.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your advice.

I've never owned a Yamaha receiver before, but did own a Pioneer VSX-A5i (I think that was it!) before the days of HDMI and I had a lot of respect for it. I liked the Cyrus type sound, I'm worried that the Yamaha might be a bit soft for my taste?

pete321:

Thanks for your advice.

I've never owned a Yamaha receiver before, but did own a Pioneer VSX-A5i (I think that was it!) before the days of HDMI and I had a lot of respect for it. I liked the Cyrus type sound, I'm worried that the Yamaha might be a bit soft for my taste?

Hi pete321

I have found the DSP-Z7's presentation to be well balanced and one that can be listened to for hours without any fatigue setting in. The front panel of the DSP-Z7 pretty much sums it up - NATURAL SOUND AV AMPLIFIER DSP-Z7.
emotion-1.gif

Btw, the VSX-X5i is good but the DSP-Z7 is quite a bit better.
emotion-5.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Even my old Yamaha tuner of more than 10 years carried the words 'natural sound' on
it's front panel, as do most Yamaha equipment from the past and present
- that is by no means a measure of it's sound quality, don't you think?

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
pete321:

Thanks for your advice.

I wouldn't describe the sound from DSP-Z7 as soft, but it is warn and a bit dark compared to some of the competitors.

What I found most remarkable is the bass control. It simply outperformed all the other receivers I tested in this regard.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
If you do favour the Cyrus like upfront sound then the Pioneer may well fit the bill. The new SC-LX amplifiers do not have the bright edge that you may get with the AX5 but they still have a good bit of pace. Speakers will play a vital role in the overall sound, are you changing them as well? If not what are you using?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Clearly that is in your signature - totally overlooked it!

From what I know of the proac's you will get on just fine with the Pioneer. I would try to listen to the Yamaha if you can though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts