Most effective upgrade to Pro-Ject X2

Markmaguire

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
With up to £200 to spend, which of these would make the most effective upgrade in terms of sound quality.

Ortofon 2M Blue Stylus (just stylus, not full cart as have the 2M Silver now) £95 approx
Aluminium sub platter £139
Phono stage like Cambridge Alva Solo or Rega Fono MM £200
Some kind of isolation platform

Thanks

elliswils

Nov 11, 2021
Visit site
I run an Ortofon Bronze on my X2, probably above your budget, but it works well. That said, if the original recording isn't great it does nothing for it.

I have the aluminium sub-platter but honestly cannot hear any improvement over the factory fitting 'plastic' platter.

Sound isolation is always worth looking at though.

With my last deck, I went from the great budget priced Rega Phono Mini (the original one) and upgraded it to a ProJect Tube Box S I picked up in a closing down sale. This gave the biggest audible improvement by a country mile, and so much so that I went the next step when I bought the X2 and rolled out the valves from some 1950s gems from Brent Jessee. Again you can hear the difference. Not as great as Rega to Tube Box S change but you can hear the step up.

Not sure this helps but cartridge and phono are where I would would look.

If you want to experiment, you can often find Rega MM Fono used for nearer £100 on eBay, then resell if you prefer your Audiolab. The 2M Blue should be an improvement if you like the basic sound - it’s more detailed than the Red. (Can’t recall what stylus tip the Silver has).

An isolation device might help if your turntable isn’t ideally located. But might be pointless.

I’d try save another £100 to get a 2M Bronze, or a Goldring 10xx series. The 1012gx is cheaper than the 1024, and very good.

Basso

Nov 13, 2021
Visit site
If you are happy with your current set up then I would go with the 2M blue stylus and then buy some more records. Easiest option and I am pretty sure you will notice the difference. If you are not happy then maybe a different flavour of cart is the way to go.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts