Most effective upgrade for Rega RP3?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all your suggestions. I invested in a white drive belt, and to my amazement there was a real difference: the bass seemed tighter and punchier. I've just invested in a few upgrades from SRM-Tech (silicone mat, platter damping ring and sub-platter damping kit), and while it was difficult to discern any specific difference when I installed each one of them, I'm now hearing detail (and even instruments) I hadn't noticed in recordings before. Of course it's possible I'm just listening more carefully, but there does seem to be a more detailed presentation. That was less than £90 in total, and seems well spent.

Next up will be a cartridge upgrade, in about 6 months' time, and I'll ask you all for your recommendations towards the end of the year if that's ok.

Thanks again.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Thanks for all your suggestions. I invested in a white drive belt, and to my amazement there was a real difference: the bass seemed tighter and punchier. I've just invested in a few upgrades from SRM-Tech (silicone mat, platter damping ring and sub-platter damping kit), and while it was difficult to discern any specific difference when I installed each one of them, I'm now hearing detail (and even instruments) I hadn't noticed in recordings before. Of course it's possible I'm just listening more carefully, but there does seem to be a more detailed presentation. That was less than £90 in total, and seems well spent. Next up will be a cartridge upgrade, in about 6 months' time, and I'll ask you all for your recommendations towards the end of the year if that's ok. Thanks again.

Excellent - get the best Nagaoka cart you can afford!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Thanks for all your suggestions. I invested in a white drive belt, and to my amazement there was a real difference: the bass seemed tighter and punchier. I've just invested in a few upgrades from SRM-Tech (silicone mat, platter damping ring and sub-platter damping kit), and while it was difficult to discern any specific difference when I installed each one of them, I'm now hearing detail (and even instruments) I hadn't noticed in recordings before. Of course it's possible I'm just listening more carefully, but there does seem to be a more detailed presentation. That was less than £90 in total, and seems well spent. Next up will be a cartridge upgrade, in about 6 months' time, and I'll ask you all for your recommendations towards the end of the year if that's ok. Thanks again.

Thats good, a thumbs up for the white belt and sub patter damping, try reducing the number of sections in the sub platter damping, two opposing then two more ie 4 sections. I tried this when I was still using the plastic Rega sub, to good effect, the base became more tuneful.

Not so sure about the 'platter damping belt', I tried it, it slowed the pace of the music and blurred the image for me . . . but there, if you are happy, that all that matters ;)
CJSF

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
CJSF said:
Not so sure about the 'platter damping belt', I tried it, it slowed the pace of the music and blurred the image for me . . .
I wonder whether we're talking about two different things? This isn't a belt but a 2mm thick silicone disc that sits on top of the sub-platter. Actually, looking on the SRM site I see there is a 'platter damping ring' which is a belt, so I've misnamed it - apologies. I can't find this product on their website but on eBay it's described as a 'platter damping kit', not ring. Apologies for that.

Thanks for the tip re sub-platter sections, I'll try that when my ears are next feeling super-sharp.

stevebrock said:
That's quite possibly just what I'll do!

Thanks again.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
CJSF said:
Not so sure about the 'platter damping belt', I tried it, it slowed the pace of the music and blurred the image for me . . .
I wonder whether we're talking about two different things? This isn't a belt but a 2mm thick silicone disc that sits on top of the sub-platter. Actually, looking on the SRM site I see there is a 'platter damping ring' which is a belt, so I've misnamed it - apologies. I can't find this product on their website but on eBay it's described as a 'platter damping kit', not ring. Apologies for that. Thanks for the tip re sub-platter sections, I'll try that when my ears are next feeling super-sharp.
stevebrock said:
That's quite possibly just what I'll do! Thanks again.

Yep, looks like we were talking at cross purposes, its actually an 'acrylic mat', I use one to very good effect, although mine is 3mm thick and these days is stood off the glass platter with small felt pads, here we start needing VTA adjustment, not practical with the Rega arm . . . although possible ;) A new world best not entered into as yet.

You will be surprised how the sub-platter sections change the sound, note the word 'change', your decisions how you like the presentation?

I note you mention a silicon mat as well as the acrylic platter mat . . . you are not using them together are you? One or the other is the idea, together, you will probably have issues with VTA as well as one negating the sound of the other????????? . . . gets confusing :doh:

CJSF

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
CJSF said:
I note you mention a silicon mat as well as the acrylic platter mat . . . you are not using them together are you?

I think we're talking at cross-purposes again! They sell a silicone platter mat and an acrylic platter mat, both of which sit on top of the glass platter. Of these, I have only the silicone platter mat. I also have what they call the 'platter damping kit', which is a silicone disc (they supply 1mm- and 2mm-thick versions) that sits on top of the sub-platter, underneath the glass platter - intended to isolate the glass platter from vibrations coming from the motor through the plastic sub-platter.

Between these two, there is an extra 5mm of height. However, the arm still looks dead horizontal. I'm not sure how to measure whether it needs any VTA adjustment - do you have any tips for determining that?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
CJSF said:
I note you mention a silicon mat as well as the acrylic platter mat . . . you are not using them together are you?
I think we're talking at cross-purposes again! They sell a silicone platter mat and an acrylic platter mat, both of which sit on top of the glass platter. Of these, I have only the silicone platter mat. I also have what they call the 'platter damping kit', which is a silicone disc (they supply 1mm- and 2mm-thick versions) that sits on top of the sub-platter, underneath the glass platter - intended to isolate the glass platter from vibrations coming from the motor through the plastic sub-platter. Between these two, there is an extra 5mm of height. However, the arm still looks dead horizontal. I'm not sure how to measure whether it needs any VTA adjustment - do you have any tips for determining that?

Yep I know the disc you mean now, I use tiny 2mm stand-offs made of the same material, I fashioned them myself but they do the same job.

As for VTA, you are using a 2mm sub-platter isolation disc and then the standard glass platter and then a 3mm silicon mat on top of that. You are currently using a Rega cartridge, so a 2mm shim will bring the arm close to standard Rega height. Most other cartridges seem to be another 2 (or 3mm) taller than Rega's. A further 2mm shim will maintain the near statuesque as and when you change cartridge. Any variation in heights will be in the instructions with the cartridge alowing you to check theoretical VTA hight.

Acrylic platter mats in my experience work well, cost around £20-£30 and replace any mat you might be using.

VTA is a subject that can invoke feeling on here similar to mentioning 'cables' :shhh: . . . at the budget end of hifi I tend to agree, VTA, take it or leave it. However move on a bit in cartridge, and amp quality and the differences can be clearly heard in VTA and stylus pressure adjustments. So for the time being, stay with the standard, 'ask no question' figures.

When you move on, ask the VTA question again, be prepared for wildly differeing opinions, by that time you will have a better idea of 'what is what' anyway. The real issue is the Rega arm, fine arm though it is, it is a pain to adjust VTA, so there exists the ostrich view; 'head in sand, VAT makes no differance' . . . you will see :bounce: Most other quality arms have simple VTA adjustment . . . I wonder why that is :?

CJSF

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Has any of you with a Rega turntable tried this Rega tonearm spacer? And if so, do you recommend it? It's attractive because it offers various height adjustments at a cheap price, so I can play around a bit with arm height - and will be able to add a further 2mm when I replace the cartridge. It's made by Rega so assume it must be decent quality build, but if anyone has used it and can confirm whether or not it's a good solution to height adjustment. It says it's for 3-point mounting arms, which I think mine is (RB303).

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Has any of you with a Rega turntable tried this Rega tonearm spacer? And if so, do you recommend it? It's attractive because it offers various height adjustments at a cheap price, so I can play around a bit with arm height - and will be able to add a further 2mm when I replace the cartridge. It's made by Rega so assume it must be decent quality build, but if anyone has used it and can confirm whether or not it's a good solution to height adjustment. It says it's for 3-point mounting arms, which I think mine is (RB303).

The Rega one is pants!

Do yourself a favour abd get the Michell Engineering one!

Whilst were on about VTA adjustments - I could never hear much with my Brio R but with the ST40 it really is apparent how these little adjustments change the sound!

RuneK

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
If you want precision and good sound out of you're RP3 I would recommend the grovetracer Subplater and delerin platter. It will give you a big improvement, it did for me. Being very impressed whit Frank Smiles products I went and got all he makes and I think I got a much better TT now. I also have changed the pickup for a Clearaudio MM. Do have the TT-PSU but I think looking backward that the money would be better spend on the PS Audio Dectet, that will clean you're hole system up and not just the TT.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts