More reviews of centre speakers ?

mafrost

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
WHFSV team

Is there any chance you could review more centre speakers and give us an idea of how well they could be integrated with other manufacturers speakers ? Perhaps I'm asking for something strange/difficult, but the reason I ask is I plan to purchase another pair of reasonably high-end Hi-Fi speakers (probably Spendor) and, even though Spendor do make a somewhat expensive centre speaker (c5e @ £600+) I'd like to know how other brands (and hopefully cheaper) centre speakers perform on there own and would integrate with such Hi-Fi speakers ?

Is this a reasonable request ?

Many thanks.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We don't recommend mixing and matching speaker brands in a surround sound set-up - well, certainly not for the front three speakers - as the difference in sonic signature can have a negative effect.

Also, the centre speaker - as it carries most dialogue - is one of the most crucial in an AV set-up,and you certainly shouldn't scrimp on it, IMO...

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:

We don't recommend mixing and matching speaker brands in a surround sound set-up - well, certainly not for the front three speakers - as the difference in sonic signature can have a negative effect.

Also, the centre speaker - as it carries most dialogue - is one of the most crucial in an AV set-up,and you certainly shouldn't scrimp on it, IMO...

Never a truer word spoken, Clare.

Yes, definitely don't skimp on the centre channel loudspeaker. Most centre channel loudspeakers are small and not very good, because they are designed to fit in entertainment units or cabinets that have small-ish slots.

The centre channel loudspeaker I have (all my loudspeakers are Australian) weighs 24kg and can accept a TV as heavy as about 100kg, and has 4 dedicated bass-drivers, 1 dedicated mid-range driver, and 1 tweeter rated at up to 40kHz. It has exactly the same drivers and driver-count as my main floor-standing pair, and works an absolute treat.

Dan.

TRENDING THREADS