More punchy sound (low budget)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gasolin

NO

I don't notice it at low levels in the same when using my Mission lx 2's

It also depends on how the frequency resaponce is, not just on paper + if the speaker are more sensitive to what amp is used (damping factor and impedans)

yes there is deeper bass if the recording allows it (60 vs 45hz at +/- 3 db) and there is more power in the lx 3's, i just feel i need a litle more at low levels, if theres not so more bass under 60hz i won't get a perceived deeper bass, i just know i have had speaker (active speakers) with more noticeable bass (if you can call it that) at lower levels, even when they are surpose to be more neutral and don't go so deep on paper

Eq is often at 100hz which is just bass but not bass like 50hz and i want the best sound so if i have a pure direct mode, i wanna use it.

Last edited:

gasolin

Last edited:

gasolin

It sounds like you're sorted but others you coud have looked at were:
Elac B5.2's
Elac B6.2's
Q Acoustics 3030i

Q acoustics 3030i are very deep, way to big, don't like the silver rings around the unit's

The original elac are the best not the new version, the old original was what made the elac so interisting not the new version, Paul. Andrew Jones had nothing to do with the latest elac b series

Witterings

The original elac are the best not the new version, the old original was what made the elac so interisting not the new version, Paul. Andrew Jones had nothing to do with the latest elac b series

In essence you're inferring the 5.2's are worse than the 5.0's, have you heard them both and if so what would you say the differences are?

Do you think the front ported 5.2's may be better than the 5.0's in non optical placing ... close to a rear wall?

Witterings

I don't know, i just know i don't like the air turbulence when playing loud with front ported speakers

I'm guessing you may be sitting close ish to them which may make you fell that, I have a set of Wharfedale 9.1's as my close in desktop speakers and personally I don't notice any air turbulence with those.
Maybe the 5.0's are meant to be better than the 5.2's but there are quite a few good reviews on them out there, I persoanlly tried them vs a few other speakers, the only others that came close (I don't own and would fit in the space I had) were Dali Spektors but they had a brightness with female vocals that could make them "shrill" in comparison and the mids / bass and feeling of a bigger speaker didn't come close.

Because I've only recently finalised on the 5.2's I've been playing around with the sub plugged and tonight have finally turned it off as I think the speakers sound better without it.

It's a Q Acoustics 3060s, maybe it's just not up to the same quality delivery as the 5.2's which are very punchy. Whilst the sub gives greater range / depth (depends how much you crank it up) but the combo lost that clarity / punch the speakers deliver on their own making it sound boomy.
Maybe a better quality / tighter sub may extend the depth without the boomy but I've got to be honest I don't think they need it.
The Wharfedale 9.1's are the next best tonally and overall sound but marginally lack the detail / clarity of some of the others .... an unbelievable set of speakers for their price point.

I don't know, i just know i don't like the air turbulence when playing loud with front ported speakers
Forgive me for saying this, air turbulence is more associated with aircraft than domestic speakers.

I think you are over analysing your kits, especially, like me, you have a limited budget - the perfect sound is impossible to achieve. The best you can do, as with me, is finding the ideal compromise. More importantly, trying listening to the music rather than analysing every sonic nook and cranny

Last edited:

gasolin

Your more likely to notice the air from the bass port when playing loud from a front ported speaker used for nearfiled, i experienced that a few times with a pair of Dali spektor and Audiovector QR1 (was loud).

Back to the speakers

They are compact but despite there size they have a puncy loud bass , so much i had lower it 2 db which generally gives more power to play loud before reaching it's limit, highs that don't make attention to it self but have more details than most speakers from budget speakers to kef ls50's (how good the new adam audio A4v og mabye the kef lsx is i don't know), wide sounstage,good sweetspot,no agressive midrange and they are loud.

I even don't find them super analytic, 99% of all i play sounds really good

I just need to find out what control unit sounds best.

Current setup (main source is pc), dac,source selector,passive monitor controller

Active monitor controller with all inputs incl usb and phonostage

Mixer or preamp (cheap used)

Your more likely to notice the air from the bass port when playing loud from a front ported speaker used for nearfiled, i experienced that a few times with a pair of Dali spektor and Audiovector QR1 (was loud).

Back to the speakers

They are compact but despite there size they have a puncy loud bass , so much i had lower it 2 db which generally gives more power to play loud before reaching it's limit, highs that don't make attention to it self but have more details than most speakers from budget speakers to kef ls50's (how good the new adam audio A4v og mabye the kef lsx is i don't know), wide sounstage,good sweetspot,no agressive midrange and they are loud.

I even don't find them super analytic, 99% of all i play sounds really good

I just need to find out what control unit sounds best.

Current setup (main source is pc), dac,source selector,passive monitor controller

Active monitor controller with all inputs incl usb and phonostage

Mixer or preamp (cheap used)
Yeah, but the perfect system doesn't exist in your budget or mine.

I'm bored with telling you this.

Enjoy what your system does well rather than playing on the negatives.

Unless you can 'Up' your budget to a 2 k amp and speakers, you'll will never be satisfied

Reactions: Tinman1952

gasolin

I didn't mention the perfect speaker

It's just a very good speakers that sounds good, really good bass, amt tweeter, bi amped, usefull dps setting, front on/off (no aut off,standby), what surprised me was that (knock on wood) they are hiss free, which speakers like other popular speaker like the krk rokit and yamaha hs isn't

Tinman1952

I didn't mention the perfect speaker

It's just a very good speakers that sounds good, really good bass, amt tweeter, bi amped, usefull dps setting, front on/off (no aut off,standby), what surprised me was that (knock on wood) they are hiss free, which speakers like other popular speaker like the krk rokit and yamaha hs isn't
Until next week...and another YouTube review........🙄

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts