More old crap!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
A further question, the better half has now come home with a late 50s Philips Disc Jockey Auto, which, somewhat remarkably, actually works, so we've now got something to play the Lonnie Donegan 78s on, which is amusing.

The only issue is a VERY noisy volume control, which doesn't so much change the volume as inject varying degrees of really quite horrible noise into the system!

So I've had a thought about cleaning the pot, however I'm reading horror stories about what happens if you use the wrong kind of cleaning solution on it, I believe I need a lubricating cleaner to avoid stripping the mechanism but looking in the options in Maplins is only confusing me further.

So I figured I'd better ask if anyone had any recommendations, it's a rotary pot, rather than a strip one.

The_Lhc said:
A further question, the better half has now come home with a late 50s Philips Disc Jockey Auto, which, somewhat remarkably, actually works, so we've now got something to play the Lonnie Donegan 78s on, which is amusing.

The only issue is a VERY noisy volume control, which doesn't so much change the volume as inject varying degrees of really quite horrible noise into the system!

So I've had a thought about cleaning the pot, however I'm reading horror stories about what happens if you use the wrong kind of cleaning solution on it, I believe I need a lubricating cleaner to avoid stripping the mechanism but looking in the options in Maplins is only confusing me further.

So I figured I'd better ask if anyone had any recommendations, it's a rotary pot, rather than a strip one.

I'd be looking at using Servisol 10 or replacing the pot itself.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
The_Lhc said:

I'd be looking at using Servisol 10 or replacing the pot itself.

Aah cool, they had some of that in maplins I think.

I did wonder about replacing it but I wasn't sure, given the age, how easy it would be to find a straight swap for it. Obviously the knob needs to fit on as well. When I finish work this week I'll have a look inside it when the missus is out!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts