More old crap!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Following on from my tape deck question from before I thought I might as well ask about some other old junk I've accumulated. Well I say "I", it's actually my missus that is in the habit of buying any old audio gear she can get her hands on in a vain attempt to recreate her Dansette days on the cheap (have you seen the prices of those bloody things now?), I don't discourage it as it helps keep her knackered old 7"s off my nice turntable but it has led to a collection of old turntables and radiograms in various states of disfunction.

One of which is a Garrard GT20. Pretty simple machine and mostly works fine, the sound is decent enough for what it is apart from the fact that it plays ever so slightly slowly, not enough to pitch everything down into comedy Barry White territory, that at least would be funny, but just enough to be annoying.

I changed the belt for a new one but it made no difference, so I figured I open the base up and see if there was a pot or something I could adjust to speed it up slightly (of course if it was the GT25 I could have adjusted it with the pitch control but no such luck on the GT20). To my surprise there was nothing under there, just a motor with the mains lead going straight to the terminals, that's it.

How does that work then? Did they just spec a motor that would spin at the right speed for the given input voltage and pulley gearing? And if so is that why it's running slow because when it was made the UK ran at 240v and now it's more like 230? If that's the case, what the hell do I do about it? Some kind of voltage regulator? I'm really not interested in spending a fortune on this, as you can imagine.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Not familiar with that model, although my dad ( and / or granddad) might have had one. :)
Could be the voltage, especially in the southeast, but in a lot of places in the UK you still get the full 240.
Or it could be a worn out motor ( brushes). Only way to tell is to hook up a multimeter to your mains and see what volts you're getting. Probably not worth spending a lot of cash on, if any, if it's a base model. The upscale models, yes. Bottom end, no.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Following on from my tape deck question from before I thought I might as well ask about some other old junk I've accumulated. Well I say "I", it's actually my missus that is in the habit of buying any old audio gear she can get her hands on in a vain attempt to recreate her Dansette days on the cheap (have you seen the prices of those bloody things now?)

There is no substitute for a perfect restoration job on a REAL Dansette original. (NOT the Crosley replicas!)

Watch 'GarrardAT6' rebuilding a Dansette Bermuda on YouTube (in five parts)...

clicky (completed listings)

I still get tempted :)

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Take a look at the motor pulley. If it's particularly grubby and grotty it may just be in need of some tlc. If it's corroded particularly then a small increase in diameter would slow the platter down noticeably.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Petherick said:
Take a look at the motor pulley. If it's particularly grubby and grotty it may just be in need of some tlc. If it's corroded particularly then a small increase in diameter would slow the platter down noticeably.

Actually it did look a little, err, bulbous, I did try cleaning it a little bit but I didn't have any real idea of how much I should be taking off.

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Try taking the belt off and running the motor then carefully clean it while it's running using a scouring pad (scotchbrite or similar). You'll probably get a lot of muck off! Then a quick wipe over with alcohol and re-fit the belt.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Petherick said:
Try taking the belt off and running the motor then carefully clean it while it's running using a scouring pad (scotchbrite or similar). You'll probably get a lot of muck off! Then a quick wipe over with alcohol and re-fit the belt.

Ok I'll give that a go after I finish work later this week. Cheers.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Petherick said:

If it's belt drive and the pulley is larger through grime build up or any other reason then the turntable would run faster not slower as a wider diameter pulley pulls through more of the belt per revolution. That's why on decks where the switch between 33/45 isn't achieved by varying the motor speed, the 45rpm part of the pulley is larger that the 33rpm part.

How is the power to the motor controlled? Maybe the answer lies there. But truth be told it could simply be a knackerd motor that's running slow.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Petherick said:

If it's belt drive and the pulley is larger through grime build up or any other reason then the turntable would run faster not slower as a wider diameter pulley pulls through more of the belt per revolution. That's why on decks where the switch between 33/45 isn't achieved by varying the motor speed, the 45rpm part of the pulley is larger that the 33rpm part.

How is the power to the motor controlled? Maybe the answer lies there. But truth be told it could simply be a knackerd motor that's running slow.

It doesn't appear it is controlled in anyway I can find. We've actually had this conversation before Major, I found an old thread I mentioned this before on, didn't get anywhere that time but I'd like to get it sorted this time. I wonder if a replacement motor is an option, I wouldn't know where to start looking.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
If this thing hasn't been run for while a good while you might find the grease they used for the bearing has turned to 'glue'. It needs to be cleaned out and a light oil used.

Possibly.... ;-)

Platter seems to turn easily enough, what sort of oil is required?

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, a light machine oil is as good as anything in motor sleeve bearings.

At work I use http://www.vandenhul.com/products/accessories/special-turntable-spindle-oil on main spindles.

But I wouldn't be rushing out to buy it at circa £40 for half a shot glass full.

I have to admit it is good stuff though. Doped with microscopic zirconium ceramic balls don't ya know.....!!

On motor sleeve bearings I use TLF1. http://www.vandenhul.com/products/accessories/the-lower-friction-tlf-special-oil-type-i-and-ii

D

Deleted member 108165

The_Lhc said:
You jest but I've been known to use gin to clean tape heads before now. Not the good stuff obviously.

Vodka man myself for cleaning tape heads... Smirnoff Black is excellent *biggrin*

TRENDING THREADS