More impact

the_dude2

Aug 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

I posted about this a week or so ago but it was a messy confused post so didnt garner much response, not surprised. So i have this hopefully simpler question you can help me with.

As good as my Spendor SA1's are i think they are just a bit too polite for my tastes. I would really like more slam and impact to my listening experience. I think my Rotel 1062 is perhaps a bit underpowered for them, but i think this is also their general nature.

What i would like to know if anyone can help is are there any standmounts that can offer more slam and impact with most of the other qualities of the spendor, or would i really need to look at florstanders? Id also like a more 'in the room' sound as well.

Room size is 3m by 3m, music is generally rock and piano based. Budget if you can recomend speakers is around 1000. Replacing amp i wouldnt have as much, maybe 600 so i dont think i could really better the Rotel unless i went second hand, which is fine, and fine for the speakers too.

Many thanks.

A

Anonymous

Some speakers to audition are ATC SCM11, Neat Motive 3, AVI ADM 9.1T and Monitor Audio Gold series. The latter are about to be replaced and, as one example, I've seen the GS10 going for £500.

A

Anonymous

igglebert said:
Some speakers to audition are ATC SCM11, Neat Motive 3, AVI ADM 9.1T and Monitor Audio Gold series. The latter are about to be replaced and, as one example, I've seen the GS10 going for £500.
Nicely snuck in, but, as the OP has an amp already, the AVIs, being active, are surely inappropriate here.

A

Anonymous

Give it a rest Grotty. I'm not sneaking anything in, rather suggesting an audition is worthwhile if convenient. There's plenty of other speakers out there and I've listed a couple that I personally think suit the OP. It's all opinion.

A

Anonymous

igglebert said:
Give it a rest Grotty. I'm not sneaking anything in, rather suggesting an audition is worthwhile if convenient. There's plenty of other speakers out there and I've listed a couple that I personally think suit the OP. It's all opinion.
But the AVIs are active, so don't need an amp, or, I believe a pre-amp. Surely that's worth pointing out explicitly?

A

Anonymous

A fair statement, I agree. Please leave out the snide remarks though, it's not helpful to anyone.

A

Anonymous

igglebert said:
A fair statement, I agree. Please leave out the snide remarks though, it's not helpful to anyone.
Snide? That was a ponderous attempt at a light-hearted, not-to-be-taken-seriously tone. Sorry if it didn't come accross like that.

I would personally look at PMC DB1is. Although they don't have the overall class of the Spendors, they do pack a mighty punch. Moreover, they are well matched with the Rotel too. As an alternative/ or as well as, you add a power amp to boost dynamics and clarity.

A

Anonymous

Sorry if I misinterpreted you. I get tired of the AVI bashing that goes on.

Anyway, the OP. Neat speakers are very highly regarded for having a rhythmic and involving presentation and I suspect will suit well. The ATCs and AVIs sound more neutral and may be too honest if a bit of colour is desirable. The MAs are, well, MAs really! A presentation that some love and some hate, but worth a look if a pair of GS10s can be bought ex-demo/end of line.

Based on the Spendor experience it sounds like some auditioning needs to happen. Be wary of coloured presentations, though, as they can impress in the short term but become very wearing.

Good luck.

the_dude2

Aug 25, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the sugestions everyone. I hadnt considered the MA's, and a great price for the ex demo's.

I have had an eye on the AVI's for the last couple of years but never got around to listening to them. Being active is no problem, and the addition of the DAC is a bonus, but from what i have read they probably wont suit my taste in music. Which you are quite right igglebert, about coloured presentations, but i think i might want a dash of colour. The quality of some of my CD's isnt awesome so a bit of colour may help with the enjoyment factor. The Neats sound like they are well worth an audtition.

Can anyone describe the presentation of the MA's?

And you dont think i need floorstanders then, quite interesting. Good to know i can get some punchy sounds from standmounts.

the_dude2 said:
Thanks for the sugestions everyone. I hadnt considered the MA's, and a great price for the ex demo's.

I have had an eye on the AVI's for the last couple of years but never got around to listening to them. Being active is no problem, and the addition of the DAC is a bonus, but from what i have read they probably wont suit my taste in music. Which you are quite right igglebert, about coloured presentations, but i think i might want a dash of colour. The quality of some of my CD's isnt awesome so a bit of colour may help with the enjoyment factor. The Neats sound like they are well worth an audtition.

And you dont think i need floorstanders then, quite interesting. Good to know i can get some punchy sounds from standmounts.

The GS10s are very open sounding. They do expel an awful lot of detail, which some misinterpret as bright. Although they have solid bass extension, they don't crunch to quite the same level as the PMCs. That said, they are very musical. One word of warning: They may not synergise as well with Rotel as the PMCs. If possible try and listen before handing over money.

the_dude2

Aug 25, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

Its hard to draw up a shortlist as there are so many to choose from! I will pop to a few dealers, there is an Audio T local to me, and a Seven Oaks no more than an hour away and see what i can listen too. Will try some floorstanders just for comparison. Cant help but like the look of the B&W CM8's.

But the PMC's, a Dynaudio, and the Neats are definately on the list. If i can afford the time i might take the drive up to check out the MA's as they are going so cheap. Just hope i can get some good money for the Spendors if i decide i do want to get rid of them.

thanks again.

A

Anonymous

the_dude2 said:

They sound great, very punchy. However, unless you plan to spend your money on an old Krell amp or something similar, you're wasting your time as they are an absolute bastard to drive well. Try them with your amp, if you can't, don't buy them. Even the little GS10's are harder than normal to drive.

For easy to drive punch, try ProAc's with Arcam.

T

the record spot

If you're thinking about the AVI speakers, you could do worse than try actives from Genelec and Acoustic Energy - the latter's AE22 Active was one of the boldest designs I saw. Cool but functional and apparently sound the business. Just so you know, AVI aren't the only manufacturers of active speakers, but they have a solid following, albeit one that divides opinion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts