Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As a newby to the hi-fi game, I'm currently looking for some entry
level loudspeakers. I've been looking at the Mordaunt Short 902i's and
my question has to do with the "properly matching" to an amplifier. I
don't know what this entails. I'm currently running a Rega P1 and an
NAD integrated c315bee along with the NAD PP2 phono amp. Would the
902's be a good choice? If not, why?

Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Get out while you can.

Properly matching amplifier would have you working towards exactly the sound you want to have.

If you have already purchased the Mordaunt Shorts and like them (often not the case) you might want to consider luggin them around dealers and doing some auditions.

I think the NAD is going to be a terrific match given the specifications of the speakers (easy to drive, bright and punchy sound) for all genre.

matthewpiano

I've got a pair of the Mordaunt-Shorts and a pair of the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s in my (too large) collection of speakers and I run a NAD C326BEE as my amp.

It really depends what sort of sound you want. The MS 902i are a very fast, rhtyhmic and forthright sounding speaker. They work well with NAD amplification and are great fun.

However, I personally think the Diamond 9.1s are a much better all-rounder with a more refined sound across the frequency range and a mid-range to die for, particularly when partnered with NAD electronics. For longer listening sessions they are a much better bet in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

shootzer:As a newby to the hi-fi game, I'm currently looking for some entry level loudspeakers. I've been looking at the Mordaunt Short 902i's and my question has to do with the "properly matching" to an amplifier. I don't know what this entails. I'm currently running a Rega P1 and an NAD integrated c315bee along with the NAD PP2 phono amp. Would the 902's be a good choice? If not, why?
Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The 902i should work well with your c315bee, but whether the resulting sound is what you want is a different issue. It's best if you can bring home the 902i to test it with your gear, and your listening environment (then evaluate if it works for you). Next best would be to take your gear with you to a store who has this speaker, and try to match different speakers until you find something that you like.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts