Mordaunt Short 902i speakers + Linn Classic - Advice appreciated

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have been away from serious hifi for a long time, as this post will probably make clear, so I'd be very grateful for any advice.

I've just bought a Linn Classik system from a colleague and wish to buy some speakers. Main constraints are that I am - temporarily (for the next year, at most) - in a small house and on a tight budget.

I've seen Mordaunt Short 902is at Richer Sounds at about £120 and wonder whether these would be a good pairing with the Linn - for the time being, at least? Music will be pretty well exclusively classical, of all periods and styles.

Any constructive comments and advice would be really welcome.

Thanks, in advance.

A

Anonymous

I have 902i for my rears. i'm sure you will not be disapointed.

T

the record spot

Go for a better standmounter and, if used kit doesn't put you off, Mission 751 speakers deliver on a big scale. Used to have a pair back in the 90s and they were awesome boxes. A dealer in Edinburgh has the Anniversary edition for £175, but if that's too much, check out Ebay or Gumtree, you'll land a pair for a £100 easy. They'll whup the 902s into a cocked hat too and anything else at the price.

EDIT: My error, it is the 750LE Anniversary edition he has (also a good box). The 751s are in the rosewood finish. Both would be good to have though.

matthewpiano

Worth checking out Quad 11Ls secondhand as well (the original ones rather than the 11L2s).

In terms of Mordaunt-Short I find the older (pre Audio Partnership) models to be better than the current ones. I've had 902is, 914is and Mezzo 2s and whilst they were all excellent I enjoy my current late 80s MS25Ti much more. The MS20i Pearls are also well worth checking out on the used market.

A

Anonymous

I have been using MS 902i with cambridge audio 340a, it sounds terrefic however it lacks a little bass weight, highly recommend solid stands if you are going for them. I listen to a lot of jazz and it sounds great for the purpose. I also think ur Linn will smooth out the treble of the MS.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts