Moon Neo ACE or Hegel H160 or Naim Superuniti

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Al ears

Unfortunately so. Sadly the result of an ongoing vendetta against me. Some of the points in the latest post despite the numerous editing over two hours or so in the early hours of the morning still don't stack up. But hey i'll leave this there as fortunately over the last four months a growing number of people have already seen right through. And as someone said to me very recently the best thing is not to lower yourself and leave him to live with it.

I will of course try my best and i apologise to the OP, you and the other Forum members and guests who are not involved. I also want to take this opportunity to thank those who have contacted me.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Nothing in my last post to the op even slightly represents a vendetta only sound advise regarding hegel. Advise that gives the qualities of the hegel amp.

If you wish us to stay away from each other in future then you have to Also stop trolling my posts, poking your stick to entice me and trying to discredit what i say and also the name calling you resorted to last time. There is nothing in my last post that says anything even directed at you in any way There is always 2 sides to a story. You cant even twist that advise to be a vendetta.

As for editing posts 99% of my posts are done this way as i only get a few mins at a time to post and need to check spelling etc.

Even this post has been edited 4 times

Agreed. I was aware of the issues you and rick were facing a couple of weeks back, but I thought that had all passed and I'd forgotten about it. When I read your last post here Andrew, I found it insightful, and I knew you had experience of these amps so it was a very valid point. It hadn't with me in any way that the post was meant as anything but helpful. I'm not sure what rick is talking about here.

CS93

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for letting me know. I will have to check it out. The Moon actually would work for me the best based on features but I wanted to get the sound quality to match. Hearing the Moon is ahead of Naim is interesting, I heard that from another source also. Thanks again, this is helping me decide what to do going forward. I can't wait for my Proac to be delivered now!!!

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The latest edition of HiFi+ includes an extended review of the Moon Neo ACE with some comparison at the end with Hegel 160 and Naim SuperUniti. Worth a look, though this cannot of course beat a home demo. In brief though, the Moon's feature set places it ahead of the Hegel unless you need the Hegel's extra power, although a difference in presentation - the Moon described as effortless, the Hegel as authoritative - suggesting choosing between these two really will depend on personal choice, room size, speaker matching, so an audition needed. The review is more clear cut that on features - just - price and most importanly sound quality the Moon is ahead of the Naim. Hope that helps.

CS93

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I picked up a copy of Hifi+ magazine (issue 138) and read the review with the Moon Neo ACE in. Looks like it might be ideal for me. Has all the features I'm looking for plus they said it is sonically better than the Naim Superuniti (also £1000 cheaper). Hegel H160 is roughly an equal match but the extra features making it the winning component.

The perfect review I needed with the comparisons. When I get my Proacs I'll start the auditioning.

CS93 said:
Hi all,

I picked up a copy of Hifi+ magazine (issue 138) and read the review with the Moon Neo ACE in. Looks like it might be ideal for me. Has all the features I'm looking for plus they said it is sonically better than the Naim Superuniti (also £1000 cheaper). Hegel H160 is roughly an equal match but the extra features making it the winning component.

The perfect review I needed with the comparisons. When I get my Proacs I'll start the auditioning.

Might I also suggest you look for the Parasound Halo Integrated as well if you can.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
CS93 said:
I wish What Hifi would review the Moon Neo ACE and Hegel H160. Hint hint ;)

I enquired to WHF why they have consistantly ignore any Hegel products for reviews which was in contrast to other HiFi bodies; their response was that Hegel does not store products in the main usual dealers in UK so they cannot review their products for their readership customers. At least we have this forum which feels a little bit like a small peep hole to the outer world...

Romulus said:
CS93 said:
I wish What Hifi would review the Moon Neo ACE and Hegel H160. Hint hint ;)

I enquired to WHF why they have consistantly ignore any Hegel products for reviews which was in contrast to other HiFi bodies; their response was that Hegel does not store products in the main usual dealers in UK so they cannot review their products for their readership customers. At least we have this forum which feels a little bit like a small peep hole to the outer world...

To be fair to WHF I guess they can only review the equipment that is sent to them for review.

There are plenty of other reviews available on the net.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
CS93 said:
Hi all,

Glad to be of assistance (in flagging up the Hifi+ review) and good luck if that is the way you head. I have to say that, although I have never heard the ACE, I like the Moon house sound - good detail retrieval and basically neutral, but with a slight warmth that makes for an unfatiguing listen. Should work well with the Proacs. Having said that, if the possibility arose to home dem the ACE against the Hegel I can imagine that some may well prefer the grippier, tighter sound, and it may well be too that speakers and room would push you in one direction over the other. Having said that, you have mentioned the features of the Moon a copuple of times and the Hegel is clearly not a one box solution in quite the same way the Moon is.

CS93

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
James7,

You sum that up very well. Hopefully, I can get a home audition of them both together to really make my decision. I may start by doing a shop audition so that I bring less boxes home with me. Also, the only difficulty is finding a place that supplies all of the brands I want to compare.

Although I heard the D20r on the end of a Sugden A21, I also heard the D2 on the end of Moon Neo kit with Nordost cables. Both were at the Bristol Hifi show. The D2 setup sounded amazing, hence my interest in the ACE. Let's see how things pan out :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CS93 said:
James7,

You sum that up very well. Hopefully, I can get a home audition of them both together to really make my decision. I may start by doing a shop audition so that I bring less boxes home with me. Also, the only difficulty is finding a place that supplies all of the brands I want to compare.

Although I heard the D20r on the end of a Sugden A21, I also heard the D2 on the end of Moon Neo kit with Nordost cables. Both were at the Bristol Hifi show. The D2 setup sounded amazing, hence my interest in the ACE. Let's see how things pan out :)

A home dem is essential.

Back when I was looking for an amp, the Moon i7 was the perfect solution "on paper". Great reviews, which said it was very "musical", loads of power and HT bypass.

When I got it home, I didn't like it at all....I found it rather "shouty" and uninvolving and the Musical Fidelity AMS 35i (the other amp I brought home, and closer in sound to the A21SE), blew it out of the water (for me).

HIfi is a funny old game....and very personal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts