• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Moon Neo ACE or Hegel H160 or Naim Superuniti

CS93

New member
Jan 16, 2016
5
0
0
Does anyone have any experience with these amps (streaming capable). Thoughts/opinion?

I'm looking to pair one of these with Proac D20r speakers what would people recommend?
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
Your two threads really need to be taken together.

FWIW. My opinion is that I don't really like Moon or Naim amps...and that Proac speakers work best with Valve and Class A.

You need to hear the combinations for yourself, but of what you listed, the Hegel/R700 pairing would be my choice.....it mightn't be yours, though.
 

Al ears

Moderator
CnoEvil said:
Your two threads really need to be taken together.

FWIW. My opinion is that I don't really like Moon or Naim amps...and that Proac speakers work best with Valve and Class A.

You need to hear the combinations for yourself, but of what you listed, the Hegel/R700 pairing would be my choice.....it mightn't be yours, though.
I might agree but would tend towards the Hegel / Proac combo which should suggest to the OP that, rather than asking these questions on here, he should be out auditioning whatever he can because it's the bluesy he's going to get a quality system.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
CnoEvil said:
Your two threads really need to be taken together.

FWIW. My opinion is that I don't really like Moon or Naim amps...and that Proac speakers work best with Valve and Class A.

You need to hear the combinations for yourself, but of what you listed, the Hegel/R700 pairing would be my choice.....it mightn't be yours, though.
Ive owned this combination and agree that it is a very good pairing.
 

MUSICRAFT

Well-known member
Hi CS93

I've not heard the D20R's however our clients and I have found that KEF and ProAc loudspeakers pair very well with Naim's SuperUniti and Hegel's H160.

Fwiw, I believe that KEF partly use Hegel amplification and ProAc partly use Naim amplification to develop their loudspeakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
 

Gazzip

New member
Jan 15, 2011
88
0
0
CnoEvil said:
Your two threads really need to be taken together.

FWIW. My opinion is that I don't really like Moon or Naim amps...and that Proac speakers work best with Valve and Class A.

You need to hear the combinations for yourself, but of what you listed, the Hegel/R700 pairing would be my choice.....it mightn't be yours, though.
Good call. *ok*
 

rainsoothe

Well-known member
Apr 30, 2012
356
136
19,070
Hi. For these moneys, you should really try and audition. Imo the Superuniti is the bees' knees, but the Hegel and Moon are also good alternatives, it's all about your tastes and the matching. Naim + Focal Aria/Neat/Kudos/Revel, Hegel + ATC/Proac - try those combos at least.
 

Paulq

Well-known member
Dec 2, 2007
310
10
18,895
I have heard the D20r on the end of a Superuniti and was mightily impressed with them. They are one of only a few speakers in that price range that I'd consider buying if mine got nicked. *biggrin*
 

CS93

New member
Jan 16, 2016
5
0
0
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi CS93

I've not heard the D20R's however our clients and I have found that KEF and ProAc loudspeakers pair very well with Naim's SuperUniti and Hegel's H160.

Fwiw, I believe that KEF partly use Hegel amplification and ProAc partly use Naim amplification to develop their loudspeakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Rick, do you at Musicraft do home demos of say the Naim SuperUniti and Hegel H160/H360? I think I have decide on getting the D20R so when I get them I would be interested in doing a demo with these.
 

MUSICRAFT

Well-known member
CS93 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi CS93

I've not heard the D20R's however our clients and I have found that KEF and ProAc loudspeakers pair very well with Naim's SuperUniti and Hegel's H160.

Fwiw, I believe that KEF partly use Hegel amplification and ProAc partly use Naim amplification to develop their loudspeakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Rick, do you at Musicraft do home demos of say the Naim SuperUniti and Hegel H160/H360? I think I have decide on getting the D20R so when I get them I would be interested in doing a demo with these.
Hi CS93

Thanks for asking.

Please contact me.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
CS93 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
 

Hi CS93

I've not heard the D20R's however our clients and I have found that KEF and ProAc loudspeakers pair very well with Naim's SuperUniti and Hegel's H160. 

Fwiw, I believe that KEF partly use Hegel amplification and ProAc partly use Naim amplification to develop their loudspeakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Rick, do you at Musicraft do home demos of say the Naim SuperUniti and Hegel H160/H360? I think I have decide on getting the D20R so when I get them I would be interested in doing a demo with these.
As an owner of an hegel h360 id also say a HOME Demo is a must to come to terms with the sound quality. My 360 sounded totally different from home to hifi shop - almost like a different amp.

A 48 hour weekend as an absolute min or a week will allow you enough time to evaluate the differences in your home between the naim and hegel.

A few hours in hifi shop is not good enough when evaluating equipment of this standard. Think of it as a 5 day test match and not a 20/20

Btw: if i were starting again from zero id not waste money on passives and go straight for actives though so bear that in mind.
 

MUSICRAFT

Well-known member
Andrewjvt said:
CS93 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi CS93

I've not heard the D20R's however our clients and I have found that KEF and ProAc loudspeakers pair very well with Naim's SuperUniti and Hegel's H160.

Fwiw, I believe that KEF partly use Hegel amplification and ProAc partly use Naim amplification to develop their loudspeakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Rick, do you at Musicraft do home demos of say the Naim SuperUniti and Hegel H160/H360? I think I have decide on getting the D20R so when I get them I would be interested in doing a demo with these.
As an owner of an hegel h360 id also say a HOME Demo is a must to come to terms with the sound quality. My 360 sounded totally different from home to hifi shop - almost like a different amp.

A 48 hour weekend as an absolute min or a week will allow you enough time to evaluate the differences in your home between the naim and hegel.

A few hours in hifi shop is not good enough when evaluating equipment of this standard. Think of it as a 5 day test match and not a 20/20
Except that you did not hear or even see the H360 before buying.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:
CS93 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
 

Hi CS93

I've not heard the D20R's however our clients and I have found that KEF and ProAc loudspeakers pair very well with Naim's SuperUniti and Hegel's H160. 

Fwiw, I believe that KEF partly use Hegel amplification and ProAc partly use Naim amplification to develop their loudspeakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Rick, do you at Musicraft do home demos of say the Naim SuperUniti and Hegel H160/H360? I think I have decide on getting the D20R so when I get them I would be interested in doing a demo with these.
As an owner of an hegel h360 id also say a HOME Demo is a must to come to terms with the sound quality. My 360 sounded totally different from home to hifi shop - almost like a different amp.

A 48 hour weekend as an absolute min or a week will allow you enough time to evaluate the differences in your home between the naim and hegel.

A few hours in hifi shop is not good enough when evaluating equipment of this standard. Think of it as a 5 day test match and not a 20/20
Except that you did not hear or even see the H360 before buying.
Having already an hegel h160 i knew already what i was buying but

Are you saying home demo is not a wise idea?

I dont want anyone to make the same mistakes ive made.
I dont understand your point.
What point are you trying to prove?
 

MUSICRAFT

Well-known member
Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:
CS93 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi CS93

I've not heard the D20R's however our clients and I have found that KEF and ProAc loudspeakers pair very well with Naim's SuperUniti and Hegel's H160.

Fwiw, I believe that KEF partly use Hegel amplification and ProAc partly use Naim amplification to develop their loudspeakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Rick, do you at Musicraft do home demos of say the Naim SuperUniti and Hegel H160/H360? I think I have decide on getting the D20R so when I get them I would be interested in doing a demo with these.
As an owner of an hegel h360 id also say a HOME Demo is a must to come to terms with the sound quality. My 360 sounded totally different from home to hifi shop - almost like a different amp.

A 48 hour weekend as an absolute min or a week will allow you enough time to evaluate the differences in your home between the naim and hegel.

A few hours in hifi shop is not good enough when evaluating equipment of this standard. Think of it as a 5 day test match and not a 20/20
Except that you did not hear or even see the H360 before buying.
Having already an hegel h160 i knew already what i was buying but

Are you saying home demo is not a wise idea?

I dont want anyone to make the same mistakes ive made. I dont understand your point. What point are you trying to prove?
Home dems are perfectly fine. In fact to give you an example a Hegel H80 amp/DAC which we recently sold (clients H80/Neat Motive SX-C pictures posted on our FB page yesterday afternoon) was done so on the basis of a home dem.

Let's face it after having a dem of the H160 here in store WITH NON KEF SPEAKERS you changed your mind regarding a home dem of the H160 with your R700's and proceeded to buy the H160.

And yes without wanting to state the obvious you even bought the H360 without even having comparing to a H160.

I understand you very well. It was just a matter of timing and subsquently as a result nowadays your has perspective has to put it mildly altered.

Anyway, you've already made the point.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:
CS93 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
 

Hi CS93

I've not heard the D20R's however our clients and I have found that KEF and ProAc loudspeakers pair very well with Naim's SuperUniti and Hegel's H160. 

Fwiw, I believe that KEF partly use Hegel amplification and ProAc partly use Naim amplification to develop their loudspeakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Rick, do you at Musicraft do home demos of say the Naim SuperUniti and Hegel H160/H360? I think I have decide on getting the D20R so when I get them I would be interested in doing a demo with these.
As an owner of an hegel h360 id also say a HOME Demo is a must to come to terms with the sound quality. My 360 sounded totally different from home to hifi shop - almost like a different amp.

A 48 hour weekend as an absolute min or a week will allow you enough time to evaluate the differences in your home between the naim and hegel.

A few hours in hifi shop is not good enough when evaluating equipment of this standard. Think of it as a 5 day test match and not a 20/20
Except that you did not hear or even see the H360 before buying.
Having already an hegel h160 i knew already what i was buying but

Are you saying home demo is not a wise idea?

I dont want anyone to make the same mistakes ive made. I dont understand your point. What point are you trying to prove?
Home dems are perfectly fine. In fact to give you an example a Hegel H80 amp/DAC which we recently sold (clients H80/Neat Motive SX-C pictures posted on our FB page yesterday afternoon) was done so on the basis of a home dem.

Let's face it after having a dem of the H160 here in store WITH NON KEF SPEAKERS you changed your mind regarding a home dem of the H160 with your R700's and proceeded to buy the H160.

And yes without wanting to state the obvious you even bought the H360 without even having comparing to a H160.

I understand you very well. It was just a matter of timing and subsquently as a result nowadays your has perspective has to put it mildly altered.

Anyway, you've already made the point.
Without all the bs
Are you saying home demos are important or not?

If they are why the defensive reaction? I understand you very well also.

And yes imo actives will give a much better sound quality per money spent. Is it ok with you that i say so?
 

MUSICRAFT

Well-known member
Hey ace. Defensive? Ooh just listen to you. I hope you didn't put much thought in coming up with this one *biggrin*

Haven't i already said that home dems are ok. I've even given an example a product being sold on this basis. I take it that this particular example stung and as a result your nose is further out of joint. Hence why you're continuing to jump up and down *biggrin*

Beggars belief as to how the H360 sounded different at home - almost like a different amp when you bought it unheard and unseen.

Glad you like active speakers. Whatever next for the ace? At guess i would say that ace finds subwoofers no longer "mucks up the stereo" *biggrin* The rainbow is still proving elusive *biggrin*
 

Al ears

Moderator
MUSICRAFT said:
Hey ace. Defensive? Ooh just listen to you. I hope you didn't put much thought in coming up with this one *biggrin*

Haven't i already said that home dems are ok. I've even given an example a product being sold on this basis. I take it that this particular example stung and as a result your nose is further out of joint. Hence why you're continuing to jump up and down *biggrin*

Beggars belief as to how the H360 sounded different at home - almost like a different amp when you bought it unheard and unseen.

Glad you like active speakers. Whatever next for the ace? At guess i would say that ace finds subwoofers no longer "mucks up the stereo" *biggrin* The rainbow is still proving elusive *biggrin*
This is a comedy isn't it?
 

CS93

New member
Jan 16, 2016
5
0
0
Seems we are going off topic.

i feel a home audition is the only way to test a component especially in my case because I want to try the Hegel and Naim kit with my Proac D20R ( coming in a few weeks :) ). These components cost upwards of £3000 so I feel taking my time is essential.

I originally heard the D20r with Sugden but I want more of a all in one which Naim and Hegel can offer.
 

Al ears

Moderator
CS93 said:
Seems we are going off topic.

i feel a home audition is the only way to test a component especially in my case because I want to try the Hegel and Naim kit with my Proac D20R ( coming in a few weeks :) ). These components cost upwards of £3000 so I feel taking my time is essential.

I originally heard the D20r with Sugden but I want more of a all in one which Naim and Hegel can offer.
You are right to home audition if you have that luxury available, whatever price you pay for your kit. Why shouldn't you if you can? Many do not have this facility available unfortunately.
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
CS93 said:
I originally heard the D20r with Sugden but I want more of a all in one which Naim and Hegel can offer.
Which Sugden did you hear? Did you enjoy the sound?

Sugden/Proac is a great match, so be careful that you don't lose the magic....which is what a good system is all about (imo).
 

MUSICRAFT

Well-known member
CS93 said:
i feel a home audition is the only way to test a component especially in my case because I want to try the Hegel and Naim kit with my Proac D20R ( coming in a few weeks :) . These components cost upwards of £3000 so I feel taking my time is essential.
Hi CS93

Pefectly understandable and my offer still stands


All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
 

Al ears

Moderator
CnoEvil said:
CS93 said:
I originally heard the D20r with Sugden but I want more of a all in one which Naim and Hegel can offer.
Which Sugden did you hear? Did you enjoy the sound?

Sugden/Proac is a great match, so be careful that you don't lose the magic....which is what a good system is all about (imo).
My bets on an A21 SE, and you'd be right about that magic. ;-)
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
CS93 said:
Seems we are going off topic.

i feel a home audition is the only way to test a component especially in my case because I want to try the Hegel and Naim kit with my Proac D20R ( coming in a few weeks :) ). These components cost upwards of £3000 so I feel taking my time is essential.

 

I originally heard the D20r with Sugden but I want more of a all in one which Naim and Hegel can offer.
My original advice to home audition is still valid even if i never did it myself. There is no one on this forum that can disagree and no amount of discredit can change it because its true. Im sorry if my advice does not suit everyones agenda but heres my run down for you.

If you can still find my original review of my then new hegel h160 i mentioned how different it sounded at home. My h360 also sounded different in shop testing atc scm40s. I found the bass not very good in shop compared to my house. Every room is different. Ive been lucky in that regard.

Having lived with hegel amps over a year i am in a very strong position to give you some solid advice.
Hegel h160/360
You will get very good bass control and low distortion with a very good dac. Infact at first it may even sound like somethings missing from your test tracks. I promise nothing is missing but what your hearing is a total lack of distortion that is present in some other amps. Once you have acclimatized to this you will be able to really appreciate all the hidden details and subtle stuff going on. You do really need time with the amp to get to grips with this trust me.

There is not much difference in sound quality between the h360 and the h160 on first listen except 360 has little more top and bottom. But over longer periods the strengths of 360 become more apparent. If you like to listen at party volume for longer periods then the h360 will be the better option.

The qualities will only become apparent over longer
Period and this is why I say you need a home demo.

When i demod the hegel.h160 all i wanted was a better amp than roksan kandy with an in built dac which i could easy hear it was in the shop demo. BUT when i got the amp at home it was a revelation in sound quality compared to the shop demo - THIS is why i say you need to have a home demo -especially since you are going to compare 2 different makes of amps.
Amps are hard to hear the differences over short time and normally the one with higher colour/distortion sounds better on first listen. Its only over longer periods that true strengths and weakness are appreciated. So again this is why i said you need a home demo over weekend at least. So this way you can listen in a relaxed atmosphere with no pressure.

Imo hegel are the best (or one of the best)makes of amp to go for if you are driving passive speakers (because of the sound engine tech)but you can get even better sound quality by going active set up and save money in the process.
Any speaker manufacturer that makes passive and active will openly admit the higher sound quality over the passive version.

So if not active, id choose a hegel
This is my opinion though and noone can tell you - only you will know when you hear it and compare them.

Let us know how it goes.
 

MUSICRAFT

Well-known member
Hi Al ears

Unfortunately so. Sadly the result of an ongoing vendetta against me. Some of the points in the latest post despite the numerous editing over two hours or so in the early hours of the morning still don't stack up. But hey i'll leave this there as fortunately over the last four months a growing number of people have already seen right through. And as someone said to me very recently the best thing is not to lower yourself and leave him to live with it.

I will of course try my best and i apologise to the OP, you and the other Forum members and guests who are not involved. I also want to take this opportunity to thank those who have contacted me.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
MUSICRAFT said:
 

Hi Al ears

Unfortunately so. Sadly the result of an ongoing vendetta against me. Some of the points in the latest post despite the numerous editing over two hours or so in the early hours of the morning still don't stack up. But hey i'll leave this there as fortunately over the last four months a growing number of people have already seen right through. And as someone said to me very recently the best thing is not to lower yourself and leave him to live with it.

I will of course try my best and i apologise to the OP, you and the other Forum members and guests who are not involved. I also want to take this opportunity to thank those who have contacted me.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

 
Nothing in my last post to the op even slightly represents a vendetta only sound advise regarding hegel. Advise that gives the qualities of the hegel amp.

If you wish us to stay away from each other in future then you have to Also stop trolling my posts, poking your stick to entice me and trying to discredit what i say and also the name calling you resorted to last time.
There is nothing in my last post that says anything even directed at you in any way
There is always 2 sides to a story. You cant even twist that advise to be a vendetta.

As for editing posts 99% of my posts are done this way as i only get a few mins at a time to post and need to check spelling etc.

Even this post has been edited 4 times
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS