Mono vs Stereo on recordings

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm listening to the Doors CD on spotify (their 1st album ):

The-Doors-The-Doors-395014.jpg

spotify has another one (same cover), but most songs are in mono

I've been switching between the stereo and mono versions of the track Light My Fire

The Stereo version is for me much better than mono (I am listening via my laptop plugged into an old Pioneer Receiver and old Mission Diamond speakers) ....

What is the appeal of mono? .... I have seen several tracks on different cd's that have been recorded in Mono (most are remasters of the original)

scene

The only real appeal is that the original recording was made in mono. Any stereo version created from a mono original has to be reprocessed to give a stereo version, so it is not 100% the original recording. The stereo version may sound better because the label has remastered it from a mono original, whereas they haven't remastered the mono version

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Some recordings just sound better in mono because for a multitude of reasons it just happens to be the better of the two mixes. But it's certainly not a hard fast rule.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
dim_span said:
thanks .... thought I was 'missing' something

I still prefer the stereo version though

Must admit when it comes to early Doors stuff I've only ever heard it in stereo, not sure I could deal with not having the drums WAAAY off to the left and everything else in the right speaker.

Damn, now I don't even know if I'm being sarcastic or not...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I ordered a Jimi Hendrix album in mono after hearing Foxy Lady in stereo - Jimi's voice off to the left - just sounded wrong. I can accept it with The Beatles as I grew up hearing their stuff in a mixture of mono and stereo (although I bought the mono vinyl box set).

scene

The_Lhc said:
dim_span said:
thanks .... thought I was 'missing' something?

Must admit when it comes to early Doors stuff I've only ever heard it in stereo, not sure I could deal with not having the drums WAAAY off to the left and everything else in the right speaker.

I know the feeling...

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
scene said:
The_Lhc said:
dim_span said:
thanks .... thought I was 'missing' something

I know the feeling...

LOL ... I just had a listen on spotify (Doors - The very best of [w/bonus tracks ) ... it has 'new stereo mix advanced resolutions on most of the tracks ... I know what you are saying

funnily, listen to a few tracks off Mary Wells - The definate collection

the following tracks : you beat me to the punch, and two lovers are in mono, but perhaps i'm imagining things, but I still seem to get some 3-d imaging on my cheap laptop system??

maybe too many beers or very old ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts