Mono listening

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Listening in true mono takes some acclimatisation I recall, but interestingly speakers are more ’exposed’ when auditioned singly. It’s easier to hear imbalanced frequency responses and colourations, which in stereo seem less apparent.

I believe in decades past a standard review practice was to listen to recorded speech from one speaker, a surprisingly challenging test.

Reactions: Al ears

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Why on earth would anyone want a mono player unless you want to revisit the 1950s? And swapping a good stereo cart for a mono is too much of a faff. Just buy a monogram.
some people want to listen music as they were used to ,mono doesn´t sound worse in quality just don´t have 4tracks divided by two channels in some cases it sounds better in mono like the beatles records, they were converted to stereo even gets funny how they create a stereo image of the mono recordings, i have a late 50´s tube amplifier with two speakers in mono it gets an efect that the sound comes from nowhere to be found not even being in front of the speakers you feel the sound coming from them

some people want to listen music as they were used to ,mono doesn´t sound worse in quality just don´t have 4tracks divided by two channels in some cases it sounds better in mono like the beatles records, they were converted to stereo even gets funny how they create a stereo image of the mono recordings, i have a late 50´s tube amplifier with two speakers in mono it gets an efect that the sound comes from nowhere to be found not even being in front of the speakers you feel the sound coming from them
That's fine. To me faffing around with swapping over to mono cartridges is a waste of time. Life's too short for the extra cost and the messing about. All the best things in life come in twos.

Reactions: WayneKerr

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
Actually it sounds pretty good without changing a thing, but I would still love to see what effect the mono cartridge has on the listening experience...

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
You're making the mistake of taking my posts, in this thread, seriously.😁
not at all you can hear mono sound with a stereo cartridge just have to buy a older amplifier where all two channels are put into one ,the Beatles could have more records in stereo but they didn´t like the 4 traqck stereo sound ,this i heard Paul mcartney comenting and making fun of it in a documentary in those 10 dvds about all their lifes, they recorded during the 90´s , The last one, shows the new beatles song "free as a bird"👋💀

Last edited:
Reactions: spl84

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts