Monitor Silver 500 Amplifier Recommendation

JETSTAR

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

I have just installed new Silver 500s (gorgeous in black oak) and hooked them up to an old Linn Classik, which is specified at 75 w p/c at 4 ohms.

I have been told this is likely underpowered because the Silver 500s are specified at 80-200 at 8 ohms.

also worth noting that I am having to convert the amps from 120 to 220
through a transformer because I moved from the UK to Canada.

Thee questions:

1. Do you think it’s likely under-powered? I can’t hear clipping so far, listening in a room that’s 12 ft x 26 ft
2. If I were to replace the Linn, would the Cambridge Audio CXA81 do the job?
3. If not, what else should I consider in the 1-2,000 CAD dollar range?

many thanks.

alex

Ignore figures.
If your current amp does 75 wpc into 4 ohms it can probably do 100 into 8 ohms.
Do you feel it is lacking in either power or control?
Again, be aware that as this is principally a British website, we have little idea as to what the normal recommendations actually costs in Canadian Dollars.

D

Deleted member 116933

Ignore figures.
Again, be aware that as this is principally a British website, we have little idea as to what the normal recommendations actually costs in Canadian Dollars.

Isn’t that normally the other way round? Eg 75watts into 8, 140 into 4. If it was class A I could understand the fall in power.

Isn’t that normally the other way round? Eg 75watts into 8, 140 into 4. If it was class A I could understand the fall in power.
Point taken missed that.
However the fact that the speakers recommend at least an 80wpc amp is nonsense, at 90dB and 8 ohm, if that is indeed what they are and it's not manufacturers BS, I could quite happily drive them with my 25 wpc amp.

D

Deleted member 116933

Point taken missed that.
However the fact that the speakers recommend at least an 80wpc amp is nonsense, at 90dB and 8 ohm, if that is indeed what they are and it's not manufacturers BS, I could quite happily drive them with my 25 wpc amp.

Sure completely understand. Just a little confuzed

JETSTAR

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
Ignore figures.
Thank you for replying so fast. I have never posted on a forum before and I am way older than I would like to admit.

Yes, the Linn specs are for 75 p/c into 4 ohms.

The speakers are supposed to have 90db sensitivity, 8 ohms nominal impedance and minimal impedance at 3.1 ohms.

On the sound quality, my ear is not attuned to what “clipping” sounds like.

I bought these for the low end, meaty bass, and it sounds a little over-grumbly.

The other thing I am noticing (this might sound ridiculous, please go light on the mockery) is that it “sounds loud” when not all that loud.

JETSTAR

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
Ignore figures.

Also, not sure how 75w into 4 could mean it has the capacity to do 100 into 8.

I thought it was the other way around i.e. because the speakers are 8 ohms, I need to half the effective power of the amp.

I.e. the Linn is likely to be operating at more like 37.5 W p/c.

Am I misunderstanding badly?

rainsoothe

Hi - I, for one, would never pair MA with CA, but of course only your ears can tell you what you like, so audition all you can. I, for one, would look at stuff from Hegel (the H120 or used or discounted H190), Roksan K3, Musical Fidelity, Rogue Audio Sphinx or Schiit Ragnarok (these last two are US made, so would probably be way better value to be had in Canada).

Also, not sure how 75w into 4 could mean it has the capacity to do 100 into 8.

I thought it was the other way around i.e. because the speakers are 8 ohms, I need to half the effective power of the amp.

I.e. the Linn is likely to be operating at more like 37.5 W p/c.

Am I misunderstanding badly?
No, you are correct. I confused myself.
The Linn is probably more like 40 wpc into 8 ohms

abacus

I presume you mean conversion to 120V from the UK 230V, which as long as you make sure the convertor has adequate capacity for the amp and connected components (Have at least a 50% over capacity margin) it will be fine.

The impedance given by speaker manufactures is nominal and varies considerably across the frequency range; in addition they use capacitors and inductors in their crossovers, which depending on design can require significant current from the amp.

The power ratings are there as a general guide to prevent possible damage to the speakers, (Not having enough power is more likely to damage the speakers due to the amp clipping (Although a lot of amps have a soft clipping mechanism these days) then having too much power as you will soon know if you are driving the speakers too loud) and thus not set in stone.

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts