Monitor Audio Silver 2 vs KEF LS50

Compactdisco

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone had the chance to compare both speakers? There are several reviews out there praising the LS50 but not many reviews on the MA Silver 2. The latter has a 203mm woofer and much bigger in size while ~$400 - $500 cheaper than the LS50 in the US. I wonder if it comes down to different flavors as opposed to an overwhelming sonic superiority (LS50 over the MA Silver 2).

Thanks.

Compactdisco said:
Has anyone had the chance to compare both speakers? There are several reviews out there praising the LS50 but not many reviews on the MA Silver 2. The latter has a 203mm woofer and much bigger in size while ~$400 - $500 cheaper than the LS50 in the US. I wonder if it comes down to different flavors as opposed to an overwhelming sonic superiority (LS50 over the MA Silver 2).

Thanks.

Tricky one to answer directly. It'll boil down to a couple of crucial aspects: Firstly, it'll depend what amp you'll be powering the speakers with. The LS50s need really good amplification IMHO. I would say Roksan Kandy or Creek Evo as an absolute minimum. Secondly, I would suggest the LS50s would be closer to the MA Gold range.

I had a quick dem of the LS50s alongside MA GX100. The MAs were better at rock music but the LS50s were a better all-rounder.

More recently I had a home dem of the LS50s to compare with my PMCs. The LS50 were better in smaller rooms but the PMC IMHO were better compromise.

Hope this helps.

iceman16

I heard them both on a dem and used to own the Ls50. IMO the MA sound more livelier and exciting than the Ls50. But for my taste the latter is better in overall performance.
regular_smile.gif

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I have heard them both and have the opposite view. The MA's are excellent in every respect and for my ears I'd take them over the Kefs every day of the week.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose.

Paulq said:
I have heard them both and have the opposite view. The MA's are excellent in every respect and for my ears I'd take them over the Kefs every day of the week.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose.

In which way are the MAs better than the Kefs?

Before buying the PMCs I was toying with the notion of buying either GX50 or 100s.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm very partial to the recent MA Silvers, particularly the tweeter which I think is beautifully balanced. But the Silver 2's have a big mid/bass driver and a rear port and may need to be treated like a floorstander in terms of their compatability with a room.

With my own room I'd personally favour the Silver 1's over the Silver 2's. The 2's would just overcook the bass a little for me.

I'm not a fan of the LS50's so I'd be biased towards the MA. The polarised views in this post really indicate you're just going to have to go and listen to both for yourself.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
No idea but I think LS50's are an eyesore.

Bit like two blood shot eyes after a drunken night looking at you.

You could go with the white/blue ones.

An image of a corpse that's been in the water for months ...

drummerman said:
No idea but I think LS50's are an eyesore.

Bit like two blood shot eyes after a drunken night looking at you.

You could go with the white/blue ones.

An image of a corpse that's been in the water for months ...

Noooo. Had the white/blue cones on dem. They also look 'orrible. Just marginally better than the 'Dale Winton' shade of orange.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I had a demo of ls50s at franky harvey over a year ago and even before that the silver 2s at superfy.

So what i can remember is very limited.

All i can recall regards the silver 2s that they sounded to me veiled (compared to r series) and the ls50s far to revealing for a quick demo session and would need longer as a home demo to get the full appreciation.

Andrewjvt said:
All i can recall regards the silver 2s that they sounded to me veiled (compared to r series) and the ls50s far to revealing for a quick demo session and would need longer as a home demo to get the full appreciation.

Yes, they are immensely detailed. Although I didn't initially pick up on this before, in hindsight the PMCs have a whiff of old skool by comparison. That's probably why I like the PMCs so much.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Andrewjvt said:

Yes, they are immensely detailed. Although I didn't initially pick up on this before, in hindsight the PMCs have a whiff of old skool by comparison. That's probably why I like the PMCs so much.

Kind off know what you mean as the pmc mid dome woofer very similar to the atc one

Compactdisco

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks all for your comments/views. Unfortunately is not possible to try the LS50 where I live.

Thoughts on the Dali Zensor 3? I suspect both the MA S2 and KEF LS50 are on a different league? The Zensor 3's are also getting great reviews.

I'm interested in speakers with meaty/punchy lively sound. My amp (Arcam FMJ A29) will take care of refinement/layered-detailed sound.

Cheers

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Compactdisco said:
Thanks all for your comments/views. Unfortunately is not possible to try the LS50 where I live.

Thoughts on the Dali Zensor 3? I suspect both the MA S2 and KEF LS50 are on a different league? The Zensor 3's are also getting great reviews.

I'm interested in speakers with meaty/punchy lively sound. My amp (Arcam FMJ A29) will take care of refinement/layered-detailed sound.

Cheers

Ive heard dali zensor 3 at richer sounds.

They are not bad but the silver 2 will be better imo.
More quality over the long run
You really need to audition a few speakers first

iceman16

Compactdisco said:

Cheers

I would also suggest the Focal aria 906 if you can demo them with your A29

rainsoothe

iceman16 said:
Compactdisco said:

Cheers

I would also suggest the Focal aria 906 if you can demo them with your A29

+1 to Focal Aria 906. They sound huge, are not that fussy about placement (although they're not exactly small) and match Arcam very VERY well. Or, if you got the room for them, Wharfedale Jade 3. Also Tannoy are pretty meaty sounding if I remember right. ATC SCM11 are again a great option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts